Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I have the DVD. It's a genuinely creepy movie, and definitely deserves more praise than it's ever really gotten.

I'm flabbergasted that The Outing is coming to Blu-ray. Aweeeeeeeeessssssssoommmmmmmmmmmeee news!!!!!!!!!! :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

The other announcements are all most welcome also.

2. startide

startide Member

Ditto x 2. The sad thing is, splitting up the two "lesser" films with the more popular ones was probably deliberate. :(

3. Cujo108

Cujo108 Member

Not pleased to see that my most wanted film on Blu-ray (Jack's Back) has fallen into the hands of the one company that I hate. I talked to Synapse about it a year or so back, but they unfortunately had been given apparently bad info that Paramount owned it in perpetuity.

4. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing myself. It's a shame but I can't justify double dipping twice.

5. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

i'm sure everybody has titles they'd put above these on a "most wanted" list, but Shout can only release the titles they're able to get. I would have rather seen Raw Meat get released, but that's not Shout's fault.

6. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

The Outing on DVD looks like shit on the Horror set. Hopefully this blu ray blows it out of the water.

7. gobad2003

gobad2003 Well-Known Member

You hate Shout Factory :confused: I think I would rather hate Paramount, Warner, or MGM for releasing MOD titles and charging blu-ray prices for them dude. At least Shout has the decency to give us a blu-ray with features. :evil:

8. Zollman

Zollman New Member

Shout can't be trusted.
    They have no problem using inferior or SD sources for blu rays.

9. tropical marsh

tropical marsh Member

Yeah, I'm curious about this. They used some shitty VHS quality transfer for the DVD 4 pack, and now they're "creating a new transfer". Creating it from what? Are they saying better materials are available, or are they creating a new transfer from the VHS copy? :eek1:

10. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm sure they're creating a new transfer from the film elements. Shout Factory aren't quite Anchor Bay as far as their Blu-ray transfers go.

For the DVD they used what MGM had then, and back then they had no plans then to release a Blu-ray of it.

The missing "ship" prologue (that's in the European "The Lamp" cut) doesn't sound like it'll be included though, if the running time will be identical to the DVD.

11. dchorror1

dchorror1 New Member

Really not a fan of any company doing a double dip ona blu ray transfer when they could have just held off on the initial failed dvd releases. That being said I am delighted and overjoyed to see Ghost Town finally getting the release it has long deserved. I will also be picking up Jacks Back. Really glad to see titles like these readily available again. Heres hoping Clownhouse gets picked up soon.

12. dchorror1

dchorror1 New Member

Its also funny that they feel the transfer on the outing was the biggest issue fans have. I could care less if you create a better transfer for an edited version of an already sub par film.

13. chrismac87

chrismac87 Zombie Eater

They did specify on their FB page they would be making a new transfer which is why new extras wouldn't be produced. The cost of the transfer is what's going into this release. I can't imagine they're paying big dollars to go off a video transfer either. So your assumption is pretty dead on.

I'm surprised at this new batch of title announcements. Some really off the wall stuff that I'm actually interested in grabbing most if not all of! The last batch there were a few hit or miss titles I didn't really care much for - but these, my curiosity is peaked.

I'm wondering if they'll tackle something like THE SUPERNATURALS down the line since that is owned by MGM.

14. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Seems Shout's been doing a few transfers themselves now, which until perhaps midway last year they hadn't really done. They took a berating with the Herzog and Bruce Lee sets using sub-par transfers so perhaps they had a rethink.

It's hard to say for certain as distributors seem to think clapping your hands and shouting "Alakazam!" is enough to make an old transfer new. And Shout's been especially guilty of this and/or rather blind to the poor masters they've been handed before. So how much involvement they're taking and how discerning they are over the work done remains to be see in my eyes.

15. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Is Cellar Dweller as cool as it looks/sounds? I like the look of the monster...

[​IMG]

And I remember seeing that Ghost Town art more than once in my mom and pop VHS browsing days. Always wanted to check it out.

16. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

It is a borefest but I enjoy it as a guilty pleasure.

17. 7_RaggedTiger

7_RaggedTiger Member

I kind of understand on my own how you feel but do elaborate? I despise the indie blu ray companies way more then shout. At least shout is not playing the limited edition wanker game with us.

18. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

looking forward to the scarecrows Blu-ray june 2nd

19. startide

startide Member

Well I've seen it more than once! Given it's from that mid-late 80s period I dislike so much, I think that's saying something.

It's quite charming, given its era.

20. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Lots of Scream Factory titles on sale at Best Buy this week. Probably online only.

Many of their recent releases are only $13.99:
    New Year's Evil
    Phantom Of The Opera
    Once Bitten / Love At First Bite
    Vampire's Kiss / High Spirits

etc