Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I have both the dvd and blu-ray for "HellNight" iam keeping the dvd cause I had blair signed it, she seemed to get very offended when I asked her what year they filmed this, She was like "I don't know" all smart, quess too many drugs will jog your memory a litte uh,, plus , she seemed more interesting in giving her lunch order, then, she kept saying "Next!!" like lets get this line a moving, also,, that day, I met burt young and he couldn't have been nicer, I asked him when they shot Amityville II, and he went into to saying, we shot that in March of 1982 between NJ and new mexico, and gave some personal details of how his dad passed durning filming. ect.. Quess, they all can't be nice..

sade and fceurich39 like this.
  2. Mortis

Mortis GARBAGE DAY!

I've always heard Linda Blair is a bitch.

3. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Why approach filmmakers and ask them what years their respective films were made? That seems like a waste of a question. Quess I don't understand your fandom.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  4. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

@ronnie21, a better question for Linda would be "what year did you start parting hard with Rick James?"

loutoad23 likes this.
  5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Lesser than DVD quality is a huge exaggeration. The Hell Night blu ray looks just fine.

I also met Linda Blair and had her sign a photo. She was perfectly fine to us, but then we had kids with us and were interested in talking a little about animals.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

8. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Nice! They took off the Shout Factory branding and format incidentals and made it just a movie poster! I was secretly hoping they would but figured they wouldn't since the marketing value for doing swag is the extra brand advertising.

I'd be much more tempted to go for their poster offers now if this trend continues.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I have a ton of their Scream Factory posters and I don't think they've ever done that. They do have the movie copyright in the bottom right corner.

That said, this is the first from their Shout Select line I've gotten the poster for, so they may have for those titles in the past.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Nice! I usually don't particularly care all that much for their posters, but this one looks superb.

Mine is "Out for Delivery" from them right now, along with Eye of the Cat. I received Dance Macabre a few days ago in a separate package.

12. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Based on the youtube video I've seen, at least one of the SD inserts I've seen is a far cry from 'just fine'. I appreciate the trouble any company goes to "fill in the gaps" if the best source they have is incomplete, even if that means using an SD source. but while a drop in video quality is inevitable, it is extremely unfortunate that they were unable to address this hiccup:

There is a difference between what ideally should have been, and what realistically could have been. I'm not quite sure exactly why that hiccup is there, but it is quite conspicuous. For some people, it's a minor quibble. For some people, the botched audio on the Humongous Blu-ray is a minor quibble. Yet others will argue at length over minor differences in colour on releases of Suspiria. I can't help but feel more than a little disappointed when the technical presentations of the two former titles come off as unfinished.

fceurich39 likes this.
  13. maybrick

Lol, I was referring to the vast bulk of the movie as being fine. I’m not going to let a few little bits here and there in SD ruin it for me, particularly since we were warned about it ahead of time.

14. Kim Bruun

It's not the fact that Scream Factory used SD inserts that concerns me. It's that weird hiccup at the 26 second mark. Why is it there? And why couldn't they fix it?

15. maybrick

But you’re using that one little hiccup to condemn the entire presentation. By and large, the blu ray DOES look perfectly fine.

16. Kim Bruun

I'm not condemning the presentation as a whole. I am asking why that hiccup is there. Is it careless restoration work or is it a flaw inherent to the source they used? My first impression was that it was the point of the HD to SD transition, but all I have to go by is that video, as I don't have my copy yet. I don't think now that it is the point if transition, but what is it? A missing frame in the SD source? Something else?

As I've said before, limitations of and damage to the print I can live with, but careless or technically inferior restoration work (such as one obvious example I don't really want to repeat yet again) frustrates me.

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think the blu-ray fucking sucks. And those SD scenes (there are 3 of them I could find) have shitty YouTube-like quality. That for me is what is unacceptable. The Anchor Bay DVD didn’t have those glitches, so there’s absolutely no excuse whatsoever as to why they appear that way on here. Laziness, I assume. I directly compared it to the AB DVD and all those shots are fine on that disc. They’re not choppy the way they are on the Shout disc.

I second Angelman’s comments. This is the best it could look? I seriously doubt that. Arrow needs to get their hands on this.

~Matt

Zombie Dude likes this.
  18. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

So the DVD has better quality in certain scenes/clips than the Bluray? That's weird. My mind is picturing Slasher//Video quality during those rough spots on Killer Workout, but surely it's not that bad...

19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm not pleased with Hell Night. The SD inserts feel like stuttering VHS-to-YouTube rips. The print has lots of issues. It feels slapped together and pushed out the door.

If I had known what I was getting, I would have passed, honestly. It's pretty bad/soft/awkward.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Hell Night seems, yes, totally slapped together and rushed. I watched SNDN over the holidays and I’ve come to the same conclusion with that title as well. Don't get me wrong, it's WAY better than Hell Night in terms of picture quality and sharpness, but it too had tons of print damage, it's like they didn't do much with the movie other than scan the negatives. There's print damage all over the fucking place, and tons of speckling, which could easily be gotten rid of. But for some reason they didn’t. The SNDN remaster seems “incomplete”, like they had more work to do but rushed it out the door.

Hell Night should not have been advertised as a 4K remaster if it had so many issues. That’s just setting people up for disappointment. I mean maybe it was a 4K scan but you don’t tout it as being one and then tell people to keep their expectations in check. It’s so soft-looking that it really doesn’t look that much better than DVD. If a worn out theatrical print was the only available source (because that’s what it looks like), what was the point in even scanning it in 4K? Already it’s my most disappointed release of 2018.

The problem is Shout Factory are often lazy with their remasters, and I'm losing my patience with them. Whether it’s compression issues, choppy video, audio glitches, problematic remasters like The Thing with its baked-in problems and oversharpening, I feel like Shout NEVER learns from their mistakes. If they put as much effort into their film transfers as they do special features, they’d get a lot less complaints. Lol they already hate me after I bitched them out like crazy over their Black Christmas audio botch job. But that reinforces my point. Shout Factory does not take the time to PROPERLY remaster their films. And to me, that is a huge issue.

I too kind of regret buying this. The movie looks like absolute shit. It doesn’t look like much work at all was applied to this. And this was the best print they could find? Bullshit. I don’t believe that one bit.

~Matt

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Zombie Dude and loutoad23 like this.