Upcoming Shout Factory releases

Discussion in 'General' started by Cujo108, Dec 19, 2009.

1. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

I believe 1982!!

2. ronnie21

3. ronnie21

matt, I actually prefer the dvd over the blu..

4. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Lol it’s funny, I directly compared the DVD copy with the old AB DVD and wow. The Shout looks like complete garbage next to it. An old DVD from 19 years ago beats out the job Shout Factory did on this. The AB is actually surprisingly clean and free of a lot of print damage. There’s a shot at 33:40 (roughly) where Linda Blair and Peter Barton are outside and it cuts to a tracking shot up the mansion. On the AB it’s nice and smooth like a regular tracking shot. On the Shout it skips and flutters like crazy. There’s like 12 frames or so missing from the Shout.

For a title like this you’re telling me the only single print they could locate of this movie with such a massive cult following was one with missing footage?

I mean, when the AB DVD came out in 1999 the movie was only 18 years old. The movie is now more than twice as old (with 19 years between the two releases) so with that comes even more print degradation. I understand that. But it still leaves so many questions. First off, the AB print was complete. There was no splicing together of random footage (and if there was, AB did one hell of a job making it unnoticeable). So did someone cut footage out of the movie during the interim? Why couldn’t they use the print AB used? Something isn’t adding up here. I’m just not buying that a complete print couldn’t be found.

~Matt

Zombie Dude and Angelman like this.
  5. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

We'll be buying the Arrow UK disc in 6 months. And it will be great.

Matt89 likes this.
  6. roderick

roderick New Member

i received my copy of hell night last week.i saw it years ago on a streaming service and it looked pretty decent as far as i can remember.i am happy to have it in my collection as i don't have any other version of it but i agree with others here that it does really look like shit.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’ll have to defer to your experience. I never bought the AB release.

9. TheWZA

TheWZA Active Member

The back cover says the scan was taken from "the Best Archival Film Print". Maybe I'm reading too much into it but the wording implies this wasn't the sole print available. If so, I wonder why they weren't able to source the missing footage from other film elements, unless they were all missing the same footage (unlikely) or were in terrible condition.

All speculation aside the SD inserts definitely should have looked better, the footage is much smoother on the AB disc.

Overall I still feel this is an upgrade over the old DVD but it is disappointing that better elements weren't available. The bonus features are great and help bolster this release but I would trade them for an improved technical presentation.

10. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Christopher Reeve had done a couple of TV things prior to this but GREY LADY DOWN was his first feature. He has a smallish part as a junior Naval officer.

11. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I believe Anchor Bay's Hell Night DVD was from an SD tape transfer made from a print, they didn't actually have the print/film materials in their possession after making their transfer (which also wasn't from the negative) and those materials no longer exist. I'm pretty sure even their tape master was missing. I read this from a post or comment Michael Felsher made on Facebook a couple months ago, and just went looking for it but can't find it so he must have made it on someone else's post. So Shout's is going to be without a doubt from a different print, and likely a surviving theatrical one at that with all the wear and tear, but they did do a 4k HD scan so they could do as much clean up on it as possible, and even noted that it was in fact missing some very minor footage which would be filled in with SD inserts. The negative is still lost, and a theatrical print is the best available and it's never going to look as pristine, clear, or defined as the negative would be. Comparing the DVDs I can see some discrepancy since they are both different prints, but there's no way the AB DVD looks better than the SF Blu-ray when it comes to detail.

buck135 likes this.
  12. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Extras for Drag Me To Hell are up:

"Disc One:

NEW HD Master Of The Theatrical Cut Taken From The 2K Digital Intermediate
    Production Diaries - With Behind-the-scenes Footage And Interviews With Co-writer/director Sam Raimi, Actors Allison Lohman, Justin Long, David Paymer, Dileep Rao, Lorna Raver, Special Effects Guru Greg Nicotero, Director Of Photography Peter Deming, And More (35 Minutes)
    Vintage Interviews With Director Sam Raimi And Actors Alison Lohman And Justin Long (33 Minutes)
    TV Spots
    Theatrical Trailer

Disc Two:

NEW HD Master Of The Unrated Cut Taken From The 2K Digital Intermediate
    NEW To Hell And Back – An Interview With Actress Alison Lohman (12 Minutes)
    NEW Curses! – An Interview With Actress Lorna Raver (16 Minutes)
    NEW Hitting All The Right Notes – An Interview With Composer Christopher Young (17 Minutes)
    Still Gallery"

13. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that print damage was pretty pervasive. I don't usually notice stuff like that, but on SNDN it really jumped out. Like they didn't restore it at all. Just scanned it at high resolution and done.

14. ronnie21

this zombies don't run review claims that this blu ray is way better than the dvd, The Dvd WASN'T THAT BAD TO BEGIN WITH.. it really wasn't... that blu ray looks like crap..

15. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I watched the AB DVD over Halloween and it sure looks like a DVD from 1999... But the movie itself isn't the highest quality film itself, it was shot using a soft lighting technique so right there maximum definition is out the window since they went for that hazy look, plus it's quite naturally lit overall and dark and really has the look of an late 70s/early 80s TV movie so it's already inherently only an OK looking movie. I haven't seen the new Blu-ray in person, but judging by the screencaps on Blu-ray.com it's better than the DVD as far as actual clarity/compression goes vs the AB DVD. The actual film print used on the AB might have been in better shape overall as far as theatrical wear-and-tear scratches and such go, but as far as actual definition goes of HD vs SD the Shout wins hands down. There's more information in the picture, it's not as murky, and it's not bogged down by SD compression. Considering the source limitations, it's the best it's going to look until a better print or the actual negative surfaces, or another company performs a slightly better restoration using the same materials. http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hell-Night-Blu-ray/90161/#Screenshots

AB DVD
    [​IMG]

Shout Blu-ray
    [​IMG]

buck135 and wago70 like this.
  16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'll be curious what you think when you see the Blu in person. It's bad.

Matt89 likes this.
  17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Sure yeah the blu-ray looks better than a DVD, but not by much. I meant that when you compare the AB DVD to the Shout DVD, the AB is the clear winner. The blu-ray itself obviously looks better than the DVDs, but again, not by much. It’s one of the worst-looking high def masters I’ve ever seen. They likely had no control over that since they were using a theatrical print I get that. But 4K was a fucking waste on this title. Kinda like how Umbrella did a 4K scan of a theatrical print for Road Games. And those SD inserts are of totally unacceptable quality. Wait till you actually see it and you’ll know what we’re talking about.

And those screenshots you posted kinda prove our point. The blu-ray really doesn’t look much better than the AB DVD. I compared them directly. There’s not a huge difference.

~Matt

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  18. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Oh and there’s lots of compression issues on this transfer as well. Just saying. The AB DVD looks like a DVD from 1999, but the blu-ray doesn’t look much better. The AB DVD wins hands down though when compared to the DVD copy from Shout. I know nobody cares about a DVD copy but it just goes to show you how subpar this transfer is. Also they could’ve done more in terms of minimizing the print damage, Shout is always bad at that though (like their SNDN disc).

It’s the choppy SD inserts that piss me off the most though. Say what you want about the quality of the print itself, but the quality of the SD inserts is totally fucking unacceptable.

~Matt

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

20. ronnie21

Matt, I agree with all of this.. I really rather watch the dvd cause its consistant at least.. the blu-ray looks really soft and out of focus.. plus. the print they used for the dvd was in better shape, I really never thought the dvd looked all that bad to begin with. When I popped the blu ray in I was shocked how bad it looked. I never got that reaction watching the dvd..