Uwe Boll - Idiot or Genius?

Discussion in 'Reader Polls' started by Hellbilly, Nov 17, 2010.

?

vote

1. Boll: Idiot

29 vote(s)
    55.8%
  2. Boll: Genius

23 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor New Member

Heart of America: Need to track down a copy.

House of the Dead: Campy beyond belief, yet entertaining. Marks taken off for dropping the plot of the game entirely. Bonus points for Jurgen Prochnow's badass, auto-shotgun wielding Captain Kirk.

Alone in the Dark: A total clusterfuck. While I liked Christian Slater's portrayal of Carnby, the film's plot was an incoherent mess and a waste of several interesting ideas that could have made interesting movies of their own. Also, why Tara Reid?

Bloodrayne: Surprisingly decent. Points for actually bearing resemblance to the video game it was based on. Kristianna Loken... yowza.

In the Name of the King: Great for kids, but a bit excruciating for more discerning viewers considering it was hacked to holy hell to fit a two hour runtime. I'll comment on it more once they release Boll's intended version.

Seed: Haven't seen, but the idea of using real footage of animal slaughter in the credits is not making me rush out to see it.

Postal: I laiughed long and hard throughout, and then wondered if I'm going to burn in hell for laughing at some of the stuff in here.

BloodRayne Deliverance: Haven't seen.

Tunnel Rats: Want to see this soooo badly, but can't find a copy.

Far Cry: Sitting on my Netflix Instant Queue, just waiting to be watched.

Stoic: Didn't know it finally got a DVD release. Must check it out.

Darfur: Must check out (didn't know they retitled it for DVD).

Rampage: Holy hell. Uwe Boll made an inredible drama and thriller film. A nice mix of gallows humor and social commentary, and a gigantic leap in the right direction for Boll. Also, I want an action figure of Bill in his armored suit.

2. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

Pretty much what you said my dear Boll: Idiot!

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Uwe Boll Announces Retirement From Filmmaking.

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ead-uwe-boll-announces-retirement-filmmaking/

Workshed and Harry Warden like this.
  4. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

5. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Has the DVD/Blu-Ray market really dropped '80% in the last three years,' or is that just a bullshit statistic? Or, does that just reflect his own sales, I wonder? Anyone know? That's a pretty big number to toss around.

6. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

There's probably some truth to that statement, but 80% seems extreme. It would explain why there are so many limited releases coming out, but I think we'd be seeing more companies dropping out of the business altogether. Maybe he's referring specifically to the worldwide DVD and Blu Ray market for Uwe Boll movies?

7. Workshed

Likely.

Just read this on Fortune's website:

Granted, it's only US and covers two years, not three, but a combined two-year drop of 23% is far from 80%.

http://fortune.com/2016/01/08/blu-ray-struggles-in-the-streaming-age/

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

I dunno. Were you aware that Spike Lee needs Amazon.com to fund his films these days?

9. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think that stat is pretty high. I will say this. When and if physical media is gone, I'm done with collecting films. I will not download. Pure bullshit. I want my own copy of a movie. The same with music. I will still buy CDs as long as they are made, but once they are gone and all you have is shitty downloads, I'm done. If these companies think they are losing money now, just wait til they get rid of DVDS/Blu Rays. They think downloading is the solution. That may be the case with one song or a really big hit movie, but they will lose a lot of people buying product.

10. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I'm with you. But I don't think we have to worry just yet.........the key part of the stats above were "down to a $6.1 billion" So yeah.....still a lot of money being made in the physical media world. Just obviously no where near what it once was.

11. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

And my opinion on Boll........ he's neither an idiot nor a genius. He's an asshole and a film maker with pretty much the same resume as most film makers....... mostly crappy movies on his resume and a few good ones. He's just very outspoken and comes off as a fucking dickhead. I have found some of his interviews to be absolutely hysterical. And there's a certain degree of respect I have for someone who genuinely does not give a flying fuck about what your opinion is of his work.

12. Workshed

I do not understand the 'purchasing' of digital film files. Renting, I understand--I do it pretty frequently when I can't find the film on Netflix or Prime. But who is buying digital downloads and why? They seem pretty expensive, too!

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

"Still, he maintains a rather pompous attitude regarding his movies, going so far as to say that 2013’s Assault on Wall Street was a better film than Oliver Stone’s Wall Street 2.

It’s way better than Wall Street 2 by Oliver Stone. It’s better researched, it’s better written, it’s better, but it doesn’t have Michael Douglas. It’s not Jason Bourne or any bullshit movie where they make stuff up. My movies are real.

Sure Uwe, you keep telling yourself that."

Ewe Boll was correct, it was better than Wall Street 2.