"Uzumaki" by Junji Ito

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by Luna, Sep 8, 2002.

1. dolemite

dolemite New Member

That bit where she found out where the Hospital food comes from creeped me out like nothing I've ever read. I gotta find the second volume of the one with the fish with mechanical legs story. Not as creepy but damn good.
    Has anyone got the Dark Horse volumes of his work? I've got the previous collections of Tomie and various and am just wondering if it is just reissues of those books or have new stuff.

2. Luna

Luna Guest

I loved that part in particular and I'd really wished that was included in the movie. There is another thread around here in which I explained what's missing from the movie and why I didn't really consider the movie great. The manga is just so much more of a complete story, more horrifying and really should have been explored more in my opinion.

3. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Holy crap! I borrowed all 3 volumes from a friend a while back. I finally met up with her at a bar the other night and returned them to her. Apparently after I left she stayed on and got totally sh*tfaced. Enough so that she rolled out of there without the books, and I don't think she's been able to recover them. At least it looks like they're going into a second printing later this year and I don't think she's particular about having first editions. At least I hope not....

4. Luna

Luna Guest

5. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

To be honest, yes. I saw the movie first, and thought it was pretty good, albiet a little silly and dumb in parts. But I read the manga only last year and was blown away by the scale, and how creepy it was in comparison. The manga makes the movie look like a joke pretty much... As I read the manga I couldnt help but think 'damn, that would have been SO great in the movie.'
    Although 'hate' is a little strong, I do have a totally different view on the movie now, and definately would not have felt the same had I read the books first.

6. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

I guess I shouldnt mention there is a large collection of Ito stuff that has yet to be translated....opps...;) well maybe if there is enough demand we'll see them eventually. You guys should check out Gyo as well, it comes with a short story at the end that is really unsettling

7. Luna

Luna Guest

I own Gyo. I got the books as a birthday present a few years ago but have been sitting on reading them for some reason or other. I've flipped through and it looks great though. Maybe I've been holding off because so little of his work can be found and it's sort of like saving it for a rainy day or savoring it. I think this thread has sort of pushed me into wanting to tear into them now. :lol:

There are a couple of new/repackaged books out but I'd love for more Ito to be translated, really. Why isn't anyone getting on this? Chop chop, dammit!

To anyone who likes Ito's stories, I'd also recommend Kazuo Umezu. His artistic style is a bit different (sometimes a bit more feminine I think, if you check out Orochi: Blood) but just as enjoyable to me.

http://lambiek.net/artists/u/umezu_kazuo.htm

http://shaenon.livejournal.com/24245.html

http://www.linkadoor.be/manga_anime_corner/bio/junji_ito.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007
  8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

OK, so I'm not the only person that does this. I now have all three volumes of Uzumaki, and it probably wouldn't take me more than an hour to zip through it. But I just like reading a chapter at a time, and enjoy it slowly. And I can easily see myself re-reading them to enjoy the artwork more. It's kinda tough when the story starts getting intense to keep a slow pace. Still, I did more than a double-take when I turned a page to see
    the kid jammed up inside the wheel well
    . So far, one of the most disturbing drawings I've ever seen. It's like a friggin Driver's Ed movie in comic book form.

9. Noto

Noto Guest

Cool. Thanks for expanding on that. Now I'm curious about the manga and have no way of getting it. Yay!

Bring on those second printings.

10. KamuiX

KamuiX The Eighth Samurai

Although the manga is excellent, the film isn't so bad, in fact, it's the best representation of Ito's work in film by far (as is Long Dream, also from Higuchinsky). It seems like every single person that attempts to translate Ito's manga into film drops the ball and makes fantastical stories into mundane J-horror films.

For more translated Ito, check out Dark Horse's Museum of Terror series, with the first two volumes being Tomie stories (to whoever mentioned them not being good, get past the first couple stories in volume 1, it gets way better), and the 3rd volume is a collection of his short stories.

If you're into Ito, as Luna said, Umezu is quite good, as well as Hideshi Hino, who's art style is very cool. For any splatter/sex fans, Suehiro Maruo is kick ass as well.