Uzumaki sucks...discuss

Discussion in 'Asian Horror and Other Pleasures' started by KillerCannabis, Apr 1, 2003.

1. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Uzumaki.........

Finally snagged a R3 copy of this the other day. I have to say that I expected a lot more from it than I got. It sort of had a Cronenbergian feel to it since it moved so slow and had a very methodical pacing to it. There were some very cool sequences, I just felt that it lagged a little too much at some points. Maybe like most other films, I'll have to watch it again to really soak it up, but thats just the general feel I got from it.

2. aoiookami

aoiookami Demon Fetishist

saw this movie at a local art hour theater last year, and had mixed feelings about it. I guess it was pretty good. But it could have been totally wicked if it didnt have all those way-cheesy moments (eg. mothers eyes morphing when she screamed, the snail dude, the fathers spinning eyes etc etc.)

3. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Guest

I like this movie. I have my region 3 copy in front of all my asian films on my shelf. :)
    The snail people things were creepy. :eek1:

Nick

4. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

It's definately a movie that needs to be watched several times. Pay close attention as there are dead bodies hidden about througout the film. The translation wasn' t the best either.

5. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Yea, that translation was seriously fucked up. It was annoying me cause I knew they were saying more, but for all they said only small lines of dialogue showed up.

6. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

This is actually my favorite Asian horror film! Its a bizarre, surreal masterpiece in my opinion, and I can watch it over and over without getting the least bit bored.

7. Gnaghi

Gnaghi Guest

yeah it was very slow. i loved all the wacky shit, but got tired watching it the rest of the movie.

8. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Uzumaki!

I just happened to catch this on Sundance last night and it was awesome! The score was great (I can't seem to find it online anywhere though :cry: ) and the comedy actually made me laugh (loved Kirie's best friend). Oh yeah... it was actually scary. Much better than the highly overrated Ringu. Anyone else seen this?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2003
  9. KillSwitch

KillSwitch Guest

Yeah, I have the region 3 DVD. It's alright, doesn't do much for me though. It was good the first time, but I can't get into it anymore. Its up for trade in the trade forum. Anyone? :) :)

Nick

10. ScarredGod

ScarredGod Guest

i didnt think it was scary but i loved Uzumaki, i saw it about 6 months ago at a theatre here in pittsburgh. i think the R1 DVD is in the works and theres a couple versions out in other regions, though i dont know how good they are.

11. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Great film. You can get a Region 3 copy at dvdasian.com for 17.95 with English subtitles.

12. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I absolutely LOVE Asian horror, and I must say that UZUMAKI is definately my favorite Asian horror film! Its a bizarre, surreal masterpiece in my opinion, and I can watch it over and over without getting the least bit bored. Love how spirals start turning up everywhere (i.e. the dead kid wrapped around the tire, etc.) While not really scary, it is very warped, and is a totally fun and original horror film if there ever was one. I adore this film!

13. Mr.Vengance

Mr.Vengance Guest

To hell with that! over at dddhouse you can get it for 40.00HKD!!!!

40.00HKD = 5.12834 USD

Quite the steal, no?

I totally love this movie!!! It's not for everyone though.

14. Mr.Vengance

Mr.Vengance Guest

To those of you who enjoy the film I'll also recommend checking out the manga (japanese comicbooks) that the film was based on. They've been translated and released stateside so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding them at a reputable comic shop. Outstanding art and story and I promise reading them will only add to your enjoyment.

15. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Five bucks isn't to bad, but what about shipping from Hong Kong. Plus, I wouldn't advise ordering anything from Hong Kong right now. You have no idea how many SARS infested folk have been involved with the shipping and handling.

16. Mr.Vengance

Mr.Vengance Guest

The shipping is kinda steep but if you order is large enough then you'll come out ahead.

I'm gonna assume you're kidding about the SARS fear, but if you're not and you'd choose getting it from dvdasian.com over dddhouse then let me ask you this, where do you think dvdasian gets their region 3 dvds from?:nervous:

17. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I agree, if you're going to buy Hong Kong DVDs, skip the overpriced importers and get it directly from HK. You can get UZUMAKI from DDDHouse.com for $9.62 shipped or from DVDShelf.com for $11.28 shipped (DVDAsian charges $19.90 shipped).

18. Deaddevilman

Deaddevilman Guest

Ahhhh.... I can't breath

19. mafianinja

mafianinja Guest

eww ewww me too me too

I love this one too. I have a Region 1 boot of the region 3 release. So...it was on Sundance huh? That's pretty sweet

20. DVD Connoisseur

DVD Connoisseur Active Member

I watched this deliciously eccentric slice of Asian cinema last night. Great film - very different from what I expected....

I loved the pace, the dark humour and the overall sheer weirdness. The style of the film really worked for me.

Recommended viewing for fans of the bizarre and not expensive. This only cost me around a fiver (shipped with 2 other titles) from the ever reliable DDD House.

Definitely one of my Top 10 Asian movies......