Valentine

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DopeChamberX, Jan 26, 2001.

1. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

I was wondering what are some people's pre-thoughts of this film. I know Warner is hoping to start a franchise with this, so they can start releasing them on or around Valentine's Day (duh). I, of course, have a huge desire to see this, but my hopes aren't very high, but I do expect it to be fun and a good way to spend a couple of hours. Also, the soundtrack has a bunch of artists I like, another plus. Oh and lets not forget the beautiful Denise Richards and Bride of Chucky's Katherine Heigl. So what are everyone else thoguhts?

------------------
    "It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

My Collection

2. AceRimRat

AceRimRat Guest

The cast seems cute, between DR and Heigl and the girl from Road Trip (also in the Feb. Maxim). I think I caught a teaser on TV that looked nice.

3. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Now, you guys KNOW how I feel about Denise. I'll be seeing this for sure!

------------------
    "When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
    M. Hyde

4. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

I came across this at Dark Horizons and I wasn't too happy after reading it:

Valentine & Jamie Blanks' Next: Smilin' Jack Ruby talked with Aussie Director Jamie Blanks about his new film "Valentine" and what's been happening with it. Asked about actress Katherine Heigl's statement that her opening scene was 'trimmed', Blanks says: " A lot of the deaths were trimmed. I submitted my director’s cut to the MPAA and received an "R" rating with the violence intact. Warners was leery of all the blood because of the political climate at the time so we did some digital clean-up and removed a lot of the blood. In one of the later kills, when a girl is thrust down on broken glass, ironically the blood pooled out into the shape of a heart. We had to cut that". Sadly the foreign versions will suffer from the same cuts as well, though "there may be scenes added on the DVD". His next project will likely be more in the supernatural thriller vein (ala "The Fog"), but in the meantime he may direct one or two episodes of the "Escape from New York" TV series, especially if it's shot in Sydney as has been considered. Damn, he'd be a great director to helm "The Mist" if Frank Darabont gives it up.

God, I hope they add the stuff back into the DVD. Also, what "politcal climate"?? I haven't heard much about anything regarding violence in cinema lately, so I figured that as long as some morons don't go killing people, everyone would be fine with what violence there is in the film. I hate all this crap [​IMG].

------------------
    "It's not who you come with, it's who you take home." - Prom Night 4

"...find something you love doing and do it for the rest of your life..." - Rushmore

My Collection

5. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Originally posted this in the Shadow of the Vampire thread, but it fits here.

"Yeah, let's hope for a better version on dvd. But I'd hate to see a trend of holding back material in theatrical releases just to ensure a successful dvd/video release. We're already seeing that a little now, although no examples come readilly to mind (okay, maybe Road Trip,lol!). I know the trend probably has less to do with any coniving after-market merchandising strategy than with production/studio differences, but it's just the that the end effect it has on the consumer is that we get rooked somewhere along the way."

I reaaalllly don't like what's going on...

------------------
    "When I go to confession, I don't offer God small sins - petty squables, jealousies - I offer him sins worth forgiving!"

May the Hammer eternally bleed!
    M. Hyde

6. Django

Django Guest

The problem with today's horror flicks is no one making them has any balls.

I mean think about it. We got Raimi making lame ass Hitchcock rip-offs or superhero flicks, not to mention wishing he could take back all that nasty Evil Dead tree business. Then we have Craven saying he wants to do drama and that he could never do something as half as rough as Last House. Everyone seems bored with the genre.

Save for these new uberhacks like Banks who claim to mimic the masters they grew up with yet continually fail to deliver the goods.

Until somebody steps up with some good old fashioned bloodlust, I'm refusing to go see any horror movie.

I don't care how cute the WB starlet they get to star is...

7. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

:eek: YIKES! That's pretty pessimistic there Django, but I have to admit that I'm pretty much with you. It's like there's some unspoken, across-the-board concensus of self-censorship. In the case of Valentine, that was a clear case of wanting to get the film released by a studio who has a rep for not going with strong content. Maybe the directors and production companies out there are just tired of fighting the powerful studios and are toning down there efforts. I dunno, just guessing. In defense of Raimi however, I've really enjoyed seeing him try new stuff. I don't think he's a hack. I think he either doesn't want to get typecast or just wants to do new stuff. I personally hated A Simple Plan, but I'm really glad he made it because it shows that he's not a one trick pony. I really liked HIS WORK on The Gift. I think the acting was great (sure, give the actors credit, but somebody has to direct them) and the cinematography just beautiful. It's not his fault that the story was a little predictable. (Now, although I hate to say it, that Billy Bob IS turning into a one trick pony.) What with Raimi's recent achievements , I'm very suspicious of him taking on the Spiderman project. I'll wait to see it before making a judgement, but I just didn't think that was the right direction for him to make. I'd personally like to see him make more suspense films, but if he keeps taking these diverse projects, I think I'll enjoy seeing how he handles that as well.
    :)

8. jeffschmidt

jeffschmidt Guest

Well, this movie's out now; has anyone seen it? I'd be more willing to go see it if someone here says they liked it...

9. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

I'm gonna go take in a double feature next weekend with Hannibal and Valentine. I would've seen it this weekend, but I opted for Oh Brother Where Art Thou and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, two incredibly beautifully done movies. I'll be seeing them again I'm sure. Anyway, I'll have a verdict on Valentine next weekend.

10. Dave

Dave Pimp

I think I'm going to catch Hannibal and Shadow of the Vampire next weekend. I'm tempted to go see Shadow today but I'm going to hold out. :)

11. rhett

rhett Administrator

I slipped into Valentine after work (I work at the local cineplex) and it looks really good. I saw a couple of the kills and they are nice and gory. The mask is also really cool, a lot like the Michael Myers mask. For the 15 or so minutes I saw I was pretty impressed. I might go watch it tonight, and if so, I will give you my two cents about it.

12. Jason25

Jason25 Moderator

Nice and gory kill scenes? - sure you slipped into Valentine?

I saw this today. It was average at best. It was obvious to me that there was some potential here, but it was wasted. I only remember seeing blood like once or twice, not counting the bloody nose we see throughout the film.
    The acting drove me crazy, especially Denise Richards. She is a joke, as was the plot in this movie. The only scene I found even remotely entertaining was the scene at the morgue. If I were you, I'd save the money, although you won't, so don't blame me when you feel ripped off.

13. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

I saw Valentine just earlier today, and loved it. It is a huge step up from that piece of crap, Urban Legend by the same director. This film also blows away Scream and all of those other slashers of late. It is just so excellent. And of course, there is the ultimately hot Denise Richards and Jessica Cauffiel. :D I recommnd this great film!

14. rhett

rhett Administrator

Jason, the scene I saw is when the girl was hurtled through the glass and then finished off by the killer. Some nice make up effects and quite a bit of blood, not so much gore though...

15. evileye

evileye Member

Hey. The film is just average but slickly made and has some cool scenes (even if the script is non-existant).

And for the record, Denise Richard's death was a classic genre moment. Very cool use of a hot tub!

16. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Du-ude :eek: , shut-uuup!! Some of us haven't seen it yet. Tellin' us what happens to Denise... what-ah you, nuts??

17. Django

Django Guest

In my weekly ritual, I headed over to www.themoviespoiler.com and read the plots of both Valentine and Shadow of the Vampire.

And now I ain't paying to see either one. Not even on video.

What amazes me about Valentine is that I was right all along as to who the killer was. Anybody who's seen two promos on TV can guess who it is and that along makes me weep for the genre. There just any sense of style or creativity in any of these movies anymore.

Not only that, but wasn't this plot used in an episode of Married With Children where Bud Bundy helped a former geek turned "Stud" played by Casper Van Dien get payback on Kelly and her friends? And I swear Denise Richards was one of the friends.

Boreanaz and Heigl should know better than this. I expect this crap from Richards and the others, but I would think they could do a lot better.

At the rate this year is going, I may stay home all year... :mad:

18. David666

David666 Guest

Valentine is not that bad! :cool: Its the best slasher film I've seen since Urban Legend. Yes, I liked Urban Legend! :D I even liked its sequel. What I think is a true downer for the genre is something like Cherry Falls. Now, that movie was badly done. :mad:

19. JOHN DOE

JOHN DOE Guest

I saw it the other day, I thought it was okay, not much violence, I've seen worse on the X files, I thought is was boring at times, But I would see it again.

20. DopeChamberX

DopeChamberX Guest

I'm pretty positive everyone has all but forgot about this film, but I finally got a free chance to see it tonight, plus I think it's the last week my theater is going to have it. I thought it was an decent film, but it totally lost me at the end. My cousin and I were discussing it, and we both couldn't figure out how everything went down. I really enjoyed the fact that the killer "motive" speech was omitted from the film, and that there was some pretty interesting death sequences (the iron and the hot tub imeddiately come to mind). I really liked this and it's a shame more people didn't discvoer this before heading off to Hannibal (stupid move on Warner's part to leave it's release so close to that film). I can't wait for the DVD, hopefully with all of the gore re-inserted, which I think will definately help elevate some of the murders even more.