Valentine

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DopeChamberX, Jan 26, 2001.

1. horrorboy101

horrorboy101 Guest

I liked VALENTINE better than SCREAM. Liked the Jacuzzi death too. :)

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I caught up with this last night - hey, it was under $5 in a secondhand store :D

Anyway, it's not a bad way to spend 90 minutes, in a 90120 kind of way. Pretty girls getting oft, that's about it. It never get raunchier than a swim suit, and there's no gore. It's a by the number slasher, with some TV personalities.

Not great, not bad. It's $5 good though.

3. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I kind of wish they'd play this on The Movie Network or something. I didn't like it when I first saw it, but lately I've been wanting to watch it again to see if I enjoy it more. I just don't want to pay to see it.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it- original? plot? great gore? no no and no- but for like 5 bucks for teh dvd it had its moments- kinda of a just lay back and enjoy movie- you can get popcorn or hit the restroom without needing to pause the movie- im a fan of david boreanz from buffy and angel and the girls are all great looking which makes it easy on the eyes- but i can see how some could find it boring

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I may be in a minority but I thought it was a pretty good film.It moved quickly and had some solid murder set ups.A pretty decent cast too.It was doomed to be compared to SCREAM when it came out,but my guess is that in 10 years a lot of folks might look back on it with some nostagia,as I tend to do with some of the lesser 80s slashers that I didn't exactly love when they first came out.

6. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I really hated the movie, and truly had a difficult time watching it until the end. It just seemed incredibly clichéd, had a boring unoriginal script, and annoying characters. $5 is too much to torture me into watching it again.

7. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I love Valentine.

Everything about it screams "early 80's slasher". The opening titles montage...the film's poster...the musical score...the killings...the killer's mask...it's just such a neat throwback to the golden age of the sub-genre. Much moreso than Scream, in my honest opinion.

About it being cliched...it's a slasher. They're ALL cliched. :)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...had this EXACT same movie been released in 1982, people would be scouring eBay for used VHS copies of it, and it would be looked back upon as a fun, beloved little entry in the sub-genre.

But that's just my $.02. :)

8. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

What Wes said :)

I also enjoyed this movie. A little more gore would have been nice but I'm not really complaining.

9. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I agree with the last few guys here. Love Valentine and have since I saw it. I also adore the teaser-trailer. "He loves me ... loves me not ... he loves me ... he loves me ... NOT!" hehehe, way cool!

This, for me, was much better than most of the post-scream teen-slashers. I would have liked to see it uncut though. It wasn't even cut because the MPAA wanted to, but because Warner Bros. insisted that more gore would be cut AFTER the MPAA granted an R-rating because of the anti-violence-in-movies-thing at that period's political climate. Did that sentance make any sense? Úje! :p

Last edited: Jun 16, 2005
  10. Mattster

Mattster Guest

Not a bad film I thought. Nice score, teaser, poster, and killer... BUT...

The book is infinitely better. It's more mature and focuses on characters in their early 30s. I really don't understand why the rights to the book were even bought when hardly anything from it was used in the script.

I'm not a big fan of the photography in the film. I thought it was a pretty ugly movie, but it was okay.

11. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Proud supporter of Valentine! I agree the book was better, but I still think this is one of the best 90s slasher movies and one of the few to remain true to the slasher mold of the 80s, and much better than other movies at the time (like Scream 3 or Urban Legends Final Cut). I know that this post does not say much, but I just felt like keeping this thread alive...I pretty much though no one ever talked about this movie anymore.

12. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

piece of shit movie,
    i don't remember how i saw it but i hope it was for free

13. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

Valentine is indeed a wonderful horror film. The killer's mask is a perfect example of what "creepy" is. I think Wes is right. If this exact same film had been released in the 1980s a lot more people would be praising it. Look at My Bloody Valentine from 1981. Many horror fans love it despite the fact that it was butchered by the MPAA. There are a whole lot of people who verbally bash the more modern horror films just because "they're not classics" and there are a whole lot of other people who verbally bash the horror classics from yesteryear because "they're too old." I like horror films from both eras. Whereas I have great horror classics like Black Christmas, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), and Halloween in my DVD collection, I also have great modern horror films like Valentine, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Scream, Urban Legend, and The Faculty in my DVD collection too. I find it amusing that so many dump on Scream, I Know What You Did Last Summer, Valentine, etc. whenever they get the chance, but rarely ever dump on the horror films that really deserve to be dumped on. There are plenty of pieces of shit that fall into this category: Troll 2, Children of the Corn 2-7, Exorcist II: The Heretic, Exorcist IV: The Beginning, Jaws 3, Jaws 4: The Revenge, Jason X, Psycho (1998), Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III, The Return of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 4: The Next Generation, Halloween III: Season of the Witch, Howling 2-whatever, Piranha II: The Spawning, most of those DTV horror flicks that star whoever's hot (career-wise) at the time (think Paris Hilton)

14. I have to agree with those who say the book is better even though I love the movie. I read the book after seeing the movie and was genuinely surprised by the plot twist in the book.

15. Mattster

Mattster Guest

The thing is...

Savage did such a good job covering his tracks. I suspected the boyfriend character early in the book and even Jillian did, but the author set it up in such a way that we were almost certain he wasn't the killer. Very bleak ending. With some tweaking the book would have made an excellent script.

16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

So I picked this up for $3 the other day and watched it last night. I have heard lots of negative things about this movie, although reading over the two threads on it, it seemed like some did like it, but either way I wasn't expecting much. Anyways, I hate to say it as I am not a fan of post Scream teen horror movies, but I enjoyed this one quite a bit! The whole movie had that 80s slasher feel to it, especially the opening to the movie. The acting and directing was pretty good for a horror movie, and the killer was quite cool. I loved his creepy Cupid mask. And although I have been reading the kills were cut to hell, they were still pretty good and bloody. Highlights being the hot tub kill, the iron kill, and the shower room kill. Although it will never happen, I would totally be down with seeing this uncut! I will go as far to say that it is one of the best mainstream slashers to come out in the past 10 years, it's definitely better then all the PG I Know What You Did Last Summers and Scream sequels.

17. JIMX1975

JIMX1975 Member

Love this movie too. Seen it in the theater when it first came out...bought it on dvd as soon as it was released.

18. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I think this got the bad publicity mainly because people were getting sick and tired of the endless run of post-Scream slashers and because it had Denise Richards + that Angel guy in it.

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I look back to what I posted back in 2005, and found myself watching it again with a group of friends and surprisingly enjoyed it! No, I don't love it now...but I no longer hate it either.

20. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

For all the talk of something like Hatchet being a throwback to the slashers of the 80's (really?), this one is the true throwback.