Valentine

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by DopeChamberX, Jan 26, 2001.

1. bloodthrill

bloodthrill New Member

Valentine was another example of a film that was literally ruined by the lack of gore,(this time at the hands of the studio-when will these idiots learn?!)...Marley Shelton's acting could've sunk it alone,but really,nary a drop of the sweet red stuff in a love letter to 80s slash-fests?Unforgivable.Give me the unrated version.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Was there gore filmed but cut from the movie where there could be an unrated version or was the movie simply made with no really gory scenes? I myself always kinda liked this film- it isnt going to win any originality contests nor will it ever be one of my top horror movies but Ive enjoyed it nonetheless. And the dvd only cost me like 3 or 4 bucks at best buy when I purchased it.

3. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

Yeah, most of the death scenes were edited by Warner Bros. (not the MPAA this time). Rumor has it that WB felt the film glorified violence too much in a time when America was still trying to get over the Columbine shootings (despite it being two years after that incident). The original cut actually received an "R" rating. Chances of an uncut version surfacing are slim, due to the film's box office failure and subsequent quiet splash on home video. I, for one, have always loved this film. It actually made my Top Films list back in 2001 and I try to watch it annually on Valentine's Day (along with My Bloody Valentine, of course). As others have mentioned, this film feels a lot like an 80's slasher film, and less like the post-Scream slashers of the time. Plus, I have a soft spot in my heart for director Jamie Blanks. Despite Urban Legend being of the post-Scream ilk (and it's stupid ending), I still really dig that movie along with his belated follow-up to Valentine, Storm Warning (which is just awesome).

4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Sackashit. Can't believe that this thread is older than I am. On this board, at least.

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

Whether you like it or hate it the director's comm. track by Jamie Blanks is a good listen.He discusses many of the cuts in detail,what the studio objected to and how he was forced to trim the film.He also talks about some of the films that influenced him (the original ALONE IN THE DARK for one).Informative track.

6. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I think the added gore could've helped the film, but it's just fine as it is. I don't think it was a severely bloody gorefest to start with.

What I really like about the Cherub...yeah, Cupid uses a bow and arrow and yes there is one kill like that in the film, however, the killer uses a multitude of various weapons. There is variety. Unlike the upcoming F13 remake, where it appears most deaths will be by machete. Zzzzzzzz.

Also, I'm glad to see more and more of you are warming up to Valentine over the years. :)

7. maybrick

I think the opposite. For me, gore was never the issue. It was the characters I despised. No amount of extra blood could ever cover up the cast's complete suckitude.

8. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

There are plenty of enjoyable slashers with bad characters. Part of the fun is getting to see them meet their ends. :)

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

Agreed.

10. maybrick

I agree, but there's usually at least one person that's okay. I hated every single person in Valentine and their death scenes didn't even come close to compensating for the pure torture in watching up until that point.

11. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, Valentine's a total piece of crap. It's one of those crappy late '90s/early '00s slashers that has almost no redeeming value. (Much like Urban Legend)

~Matt

12. maybrick

Now, Urban Legend is one that I actually do like. Yeah, it's pretty cheesy and teenybopperish, but I think it succeeds in being suspenseful better than a lot of slasher films.

13. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Urban Legend worked for me too, I have nothing bad to say about that. Way better than the crap it gets grouped in with.

Valentine, I'll have to try again. I didn't much care for it when I did see it.

14. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

I agree, Urban Legend is pretty good, i think its a clever '90s slasher.
    Valentine was simply okay, i did like that one death where the girl is killed in the hot tub.

15. WesReviews

WesReviews Active Member

I've never really understood the criticism of Scream and the post-Scream slashers for trying to appeal to the "teenybopper" crowd. Pretty much every slasher ever made has targeted that crowd. Yes, even classics like Halloween and Friday the 13th. Like it or not, without teenagers going to see movies, there would pretty much be no horror genre.

Casting TV stars in horror movies has been going on for a while, too. John Travolta was famous for "Welcome Back Kotter", prior to his casting in Carrie. But you never see it or similar films criticized for the same things as modern films.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  16. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

The difference is that Friday the 13th and a lot of the slasher films were more targeted for the young adult crowd (early to mid 20s), different then the teen crowd (14-18). They were Rated R, so you had to be 18 to get in them, and had nudity and gorey kills, and a lot of other things for that young adult age group. The slasher films post Scream like the horrible I know What You Did... franchise were targeted for the young teen group, ie. 14-18. They took out the nudity and gore so they could attract a bigger crowd, and it turn, made what was so fun about the 80s slashers not so fun.

17. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

OK weirdly enough I think that Valentine is one of the better modern day slasher films.....

One of the best things was the score for me and I also thought that the killer's outfit was a teuly scary original....

Odd casting choices though....

18. Kolpitz

But, all of the 90's / early 00's slasher movies were R-rated. All three Scream films, both I Know What You Did ... films, both Urban Legend films, the Halloween sequels, Valentine, etc., etc. Now, that doesn't mean that they were good. Scream 3, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer and Urban Legends: Final Cut were garbage but they were all "R." It wasn't until the Prom Night and When a Stranger Calls remakes that we got PG-13 slashers.

19. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I Know What You Did Last Summer was rated R? I swear it was only PG. Then again, in Canada our ratings are a lot different then in the US. Most movies rated R in the US are only PG, or AA in Canada. I'm pretty sure here only Scream was rated R, the rest were AA. Don't quote me on that, but I'm like 90%.

And most importantly, it still doesn't make up for the fact that they have next to no gore or nudity in them, 80s slasher staples. So why they were rated R is beyond me, and again why I think they were only AA in Canada. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed some of them, Valentine being a recent example, but a lot of them (I Know What You Did... I'm looking at you!) don't really have that feel to them that made 80s slashers so damn good!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  20. Kolpitz

It was rated "R" for strong horror violence and language. I'm not sure about Canada but, here in the States, the hook through the bottom of the chin and the fisherman getting his hand severed off pretty much guaranteed an R-rating.