Vault of horror- best dvd edition?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Apollon, May 25, 2010.

1. Apollon

Apollon New Member

I was looking into which version to get of "Vault of Horror". The Fox region 1 "Midnite Movies" (released together with "Tales from the crypt") I read have very good picture quality but sadly is cut. On region 2 there is a dvd from Vipco released in 2003 which is uncut but according to all reviews I read have poor picture quality. As much as I dont like cut releases, if it were to be one of those I would easily go for the "Midnite Movies" which at least have a decent print. But then I discovered there is a second version of "Vault of Horror" on region 2 released in 2008 by Blackhorse Entertainment. Does anyone own the Blackhorse Entertainment disc and can tell me if its uncut and if the transfer is good? How does it compare to Fox and Vipco?

If the Blackhorse Entertainment region 2 has a good print then I'd go for this. Well, on the Fox edition you do get "Tales from the crytpt" as well which I want too. So Fox could be the definitive one to get after all. But then I noticed "Tales from the crypt" is getting released on region 2 by "Final Cut" next month (28th June) No idea about the picture quality there. If its not good- again than the Fox Midnite Movies" would of course be my choice. Its to early to make any conclusions about the "Final Cut" release of "Tales from the crypt", but maybe someone here knows about this "Final Cut" and if they have a good reputation or not?

2. cazzasguy

cazzasguy Member

I owned the Vipco copy and gave it away... what you heard is absolutely correct, a 4:3 transfer of very poor quality and watching it made me wonder why the DVD format was ever introduced in favour of VHS! The Midnite Movies disc boasts an excellent transfer but why a film like this had to be censored in the year of 2007 is completely beyond me.

Amazon states the new Blackhorse Entertainment release is also 4:3 but no definite info about the disc can be found online. Tried a fee-charging cover site, DVD Profiler, and two other forums but no-one seems to know it exists! Let me know your opinion if you buy - I'd love a fully uncut version, always watch the film on those dark, cold nights leading up to Christmas.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

BFI broadcast a restored version in 2008. If you picked up the MGM disc with Tales From the Crypt, you should feel no qualms about picking this up the uncut version through other methods...

4. Eddyw78

Eddyw78 Member

Fleshwoundvideo.com do a bootleg fully uncut & widescreen version of this. I have never seen this DVD but their other stuff is usually good.

5. Apollon

Apollon New Member

I've now got the recently released region 2 version of "Tales from the crypt". Watched it tonight and have to say the transfer was excellent.:) I never even heard of this company ("Final Cut") so the pristine transfer was a big surprise. I do hope they release "Vault of horror" as well. I still wonder about the quality of "BlackHorse Entertainment" version of "Vault of horror". Not sure if to get that as well, or wait to see if "Final Cut" will release it.