Verison of Devil's Rejects

Discussion in 'General' started by DeathDealer, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeathDealer

DeathDealer I Inhale Horror

1:85 or fullframe?

Which one is better?

I know 2:35 is much better than fullframe. But is 1:85 better than fullframe?

2. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Well, 1:85.1 is better because the fullframe version is pan and scan. At least, I think.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 11, 2005
  3. BloodMan

BloodMan Kill Time B4 It Kills You

depends... some movies are shot full frame open matte. and pan and scan is like... a widescreen movie that is modified for full frame. I think. :)

4. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

That's true. But I always assumed that The Devil's Rejects was shot in widescreen, and that a fullframe version would be cropped. At any rate, widescreen is how it was obviously intended to be seen.

5. onebyone

onebyone Guest

Are you debating which DVD to get? If so, you better get that Unrated, Widescreen 2-Disc version or we are all going to have to go oops upside your head, say oops upside your head.

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'd hedge my bets towards unmatted full screen. It's not very common for a movie to be shot hard matted. Also judging by Zombie's less restrictive style of film making (for example he wanted a DP that just put lights everywhere so Zombie didn't have to worry about where his camera would be) I can't see being a hard liner who would shoot hard matted. Usually that's only done if it's a special effect heavy movie.

Devil's Rejects was a small movie, its' certainty rest more on the rental shelf then the theater chains. Anyone who has home video in mind shoots unmatted full frame. Romero shot Land of the Dead Super 35, which is designed for unmatted full frame releases. That's because retail and rentals are his bread and butter, which lead more towards Land of the Dead 2 talk then the theatrical release. I'm sure Rob Zombie's done the same.

7. DeathDealer

I don't think we can go on thoughts guys.

Does anyone have any screenshots of a film in 1:85, then in fullframe so we can compare?

8. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

9. MarkWarner

MarkWarner New Member

Yeah, had the film been shot full frame (1.33:1 or 1.37:1), then it probably would have been mentioned on there as being shot in that ratio as the negative ratio, with 1.85:1 being the intended theatrical and home video aspect ratio.

10. broadwayrock

broadwayrock Guest

It really depends of the directors preference.

Sam Raimi filmed Spiderman 2 open matte with the intention of it being croped to widescreen.

Kubrick shot his films open matte and even though they were croped for theatrical showings, he insisted they be preserved in the open matte format for the dvd releases.

11. KillerCannabis

KillerCannabis Slow, Deep & Hard

Shot full frame or not, 1.85:1 is how he chose to show it theatrically and therefore is how it should be seen on home video. Besides, nothing important is cropped out and a widescreen copy will provide the best picture quality possible for your DVD viewing.

12. Well I think it's pretty obvious that if Rob Zombie preferred the film to be seen full frame then he would have added the 2 extra minutes for the directors cut to the full frame copies and not the widescreen.

13. DeathDealer

KillerCannabis, you shouldn't say that nothing important was cropped out.

Dude, I want to see everything.

The pubic hair in the hotel scene is located in the lower region, and cropping may cut some of that off. Yeah, she may be ugly, but I want what was intended.

Who here is up for a picture comparsion? So then we can end this once and for all.

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

And there's your answer right there.

If the film was INTENDED to be matted for 1.85:1 theatrical presentation, then that's what should be on the DVD.

I can't believe it's nearly 2006 and some people still can't understand the concept of Original Aspect Ratio.

oh, and if you want to see pubic hair, I've heard rumors that there are one or two sites on the Internet that show naked women.

15. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

Is the pubic hair scene even in the R-cut? I'd go matted WS director's cut over FF R cut anyday and twice on Sunday. I'm down for picture comparrison just to add this to the retardedly long list of "open matte films that might have something worth looking at in the FF version", but it's always gotta be WS OAR first and foremost!

Also any director worth a fuck will get everything he wants you to see into his 1.85 INTENDED ratio. Only Full Moon and Troma shoot for video. :p

16. DeathDealer

You do know that there is a fullframe unrated cut out, right?

17. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

Dude, I doubt anyone on this forum who is a fan of The Devil's Rejects would purchase the single-disc fullframe version. Think about it.

You would be willing to sacrifice the awesome 2 1/2 hour documentary just to see some of Priscilla Barnes' pubic hair? That's more than a little sick, considering the scene in question.

The fullframe disc is the R-rated theatrical version and is a single-disc release, meaning it doesn't contain the amazing 2 1/2 hour documentary I mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2005
  18. walkingdude

walkingdude Megatron

There is?In region 1?

19. DeathDealer

Dude, I'm looking at the unrated cut right now in fullframe.

I'll post a pic if you want.

20. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

On DVD Af, Amazon, and DVD Empire they only list the Unrated Widescreen 2-disc set and the Fullframe R-rated single-disc. I would certainly love to see a picture of this supposed Fullframe Unrated disc. Where did you buy it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.