Vestron Video Collector's Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

Chopping Mall Preorder (09/27/2016 Release Date): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IN8A9J...unity/forums/high-definition.41/create-thread

Blood Diner Preorder (09/27/2016 Release Date): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IN8E04...unity/forums/high-definition.41/create-thread

Waxwork / Waxwork II: Lost in Time (10/18/2016 Release Date): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JH4G5L...unity/forums/high-definition.41/create-thread

Return of the Living Dead 3
    Preorder (11/22/2016 Release Date): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KP7LBN...unity/forums/high-definition.41/create-thread

C.H.U.D. II: Bud the Chud Preorder (11/22/2016 Release Date): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KP7LC1...unity/forums/high-definition.41/create-thread

shithead, fceurich39 and Nailwraps like this.
  2. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Street dates for ROTLD 3 and CHUD 2 - YES!! Are these the announcements that were hinted at last week on Blu-ray.com?

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

No idea.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

don't forget to use the amazon link in the upper-right corner to give the site a small % and keep it ALIVE!

5. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Let's hope that ROTLD 3 is the unrated version.

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Arrow releasing C.H.U.D. a week before on Nov 15th which i'll be buying and now I may have to get Bud the Chud now a week later great stuff

7. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Now all we need is Warner to release ROTLD 2 (retail or Archive) on Blu-ray a week on or before 3.

x666x and fceurich39 like this.
  8. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Damn... Was hoping that ROTLD 3 would be out by Halloween. Oh well...

Vestron confirmed on their Facebook about a month ago that it will be.

Vestron Video Collector's Series
    Yesterday at 7:24am ·
    There have been many posts / questions about this. Here's what I found out:
    Return of The Living Dead 3 will be the UNCUT / UNRATED version.
    Waxwork will be the UNCUT / UNRATED version.
    Now let's share this page and get to 1,000 likes already!

9. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Excellent!! :)

10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

What's amazing about these releases is that it is reminding me how many great films were in danger of being relegated to obscurity. Once a film is out of the public eye, as some of these were in danger of being, they do lose their power.

11. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Holy Christ. Why is Chud II so fucking expensive? There is now way I'm paying $35 for that.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

It will come down in price. Those other early announced title were once that price too. Plus there will be other stores selling them.

13. shithead

CHUD 2 is pretty fucking awful. Even if it was $5, I still wouldn't buy it.

The only one of the announced titles so far that's an easy pass for me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Ptflea2 and maybrick like this.
  14. shithead

Detailed!

[​IMG]

Return of the Living Dead 3 (Vestron Video Collection) (Blu-Ray)

A young man uses a secret government chemical and program to reanimate his dead girlfriend, and helps her as she consumes the only thing that will nourish her—human brains.

PRODUCT DETAIL

In RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD: PART II, the chemical Trioxin turned people into flesh-eating zombies. Now, the government is trying to control these unstoppable cannibalistic killers in RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 3. When a young man uses the chemical to bring his girlfriend back to life after a motorcycle accident, she is driven to eat the only thing that will nourish her... human brains! She tries to stop her own feeding frenzy but a chain reaction has already begun, as hordes of undead are unleashed from their graves!

Key Selling Points:
    • UNRATED VERSION!
    • First time on Blu-ray
    • Limited edition Collector's Series!
    • NEW Vestron Video Collector's Edition packaging!
    • Restored and remastered
    • Packed with special features including: multiple audio commentaries, interviews, behind-the-scenes footage, and more!

Special Features:
    • Audio Commentary with Director Brian Yuzna
    • Audio Commentary with Actress Melinda Clarke and Special Make-Up Effects Artist Tom Rainone
    • A Conversation with Director Brian Yuzna and Screenwriter John Penney
    • Interview with Special Effects Artist Steve Johnson
    • Interview with Producer David Tripet
    • Still Gallery
    • Theatrical Trailers

No. of Discs: 1
    Screen Format: WideScreen
    Language/Subtitles: English, English SDH
    Audio: 5.1 DTS-HD MA
    Rating: UR
    Run Time: 97

[​IMG]

Fucking hate Chud 2, but here's the specs for those interested...

CHUD II: Bud the Chud (Vestron Video Collection) (Blu-Ray)

A military experiment to create a race of super-warriors goes awry, and legions of murderous zombies are unleashed upon a suburban neighborhood.

PRODUCT DETAIL

Kevin, Steve, and Katie are an inseparable trio of friends doing some extracurricular snooping inthe school science lab when, among the test tubes and beakers, they discover a corpse! But before they can say 'Abra Cadaver,' the body disappears, rolling down Route 51 strapped to a gurney. The kids need a spare stiff, and fast. What they find is 'Bud the Chud,' a half-dead decomposing humanoid, the result of a military experiment gone haywire. When Bud sets out on a killing spree, the kids, the Army, the police, and the FBI are hot on his trail, trying to save the entire town from becoming 'Chudified!”

Key Selling Points:
    • FIRST TIME ON BLU-RAY
    • Limited edition Collector's Series!
    • NEW Vestron Video Collector's Edition packaging!
    • Restored and remastered
    • Packed with special features including: audio commentary, interviews, trailers, and more!

Special Features:
    • Audio Commentary with Director David Irving
    • Interview with Actor Gerrit Graham
    • Interview with Actress Tricia Leigh Fisher
    • Interview with Special Effects Artist Allan Apone
    • Still Gallery
    • Video Trailer

No. of Discs: 1
    Screen Format: WideScreen
    Language/Subtitles: English, English SDH
    Audio: 5.1 DTS-HD MA
    Rating: R
    Run Time: 85

15. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

This_will_be_a_day_long_remembered.gif

Zombie Dude, dave13, shithead and 4 others like this.
  16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Posted tonight on the Vestron Video Facebook page:

What does Lions Gate mean by “Limited Edition”? Why are these so expensive?

These are the magic questions that all the fans have been asking over and over.

Please let me start this post by saying that I do not work for Lions Gate. I am not employed by Lions Gate in any way. I am not a paid independent consultant. Am I connected or associated in some way? Well, sort of. Do I have “access”? Well, sort of. Can I get information? Sometimes.

First and foremost let me say, just like you, I am a fan. I love these movies and everyone will agree with me that because Lions Gate has the rights to the majority of the Vestron, Lighting Video, Trimark, Vidmark and Artisan Entertainment libraries they are sitting on a treasure trove of everything we want to physically own. I’m a hardcore collector. I have over 8,000 discs in my collection and I have no intention of stopping anytime soon. Like you, I buy all of this shit. Video stores don’t exist anymore so I want one in my basement. Fuck Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, Ultraviolet, iTunes and the rest of ‘em! Streaming is fine for movies like “The Cider House Rules”, but for the cult classic big box 1980’s and 90’s video store movies we want to own, a digital file ain’t gonna cut it. We want it on disc. Not just any disc… HIGH DEFINITION. We want at least a 2K transfer (preferably 4K) with a cool package in a thicker, heavier Amaray (fuck you Eco-friendly Blu-ray case, we don’t want you because we aren’t throwing you out so no need to be Eco-friendly), slip cover (preferably with the original VHS or theatrical artwork (and not some photoshop bullshit) and loaded with new bonus features along with EVERY extra that ever existed on a previous disc so we can get rid of our old disc and make room on our shelf for the new one. Why am I saying all of this? Because I want you to know that I am not some corporate shill managing this page. I want what you want. I am your voice and you can rest assured that you are in good hands.

So let me get to the point of this post.

What does “Limited Edition” mean? I have asked and asked and asked my connections at Lions Gate and I can’t get a straight answer. One thing I will say that you can take as fact: The SLIP COVERS are definitely limited edition. Slip covers (aka “O-Cards”) will be on the first pressings of the discs. That means, if Lions Gate presses 3,000 units for the street date of “Blood Diner”, then 3,000 slip covers are all the slip covers that will exist for that title. If they press 10,000 units the first run, then its 10,000 slip covers. It basically means that if they do happen to go back and press more discs, the second round won’t have a slip cover. If you want a slip cover on your disc, you better preorder it before the release date or you may not get a disc with a slip cover.

BUT, what does Lions Gate mean by “Limited Edition” in regards to the releases themselves? Well, since I have a little knowledge of the business, I’m going to give you my OPINION what I think it means. Again… THIS IS MY OPINION. Unlike, say, a company like Twilight Time, that tells you right up front that they are only making 3,000 discs, Lions Gate isn’t approaching it that way. Will Lions Gate make a true Limited Edition with future releases and tell you how many they are making? It’s likely. I do believe that is a possibility. But with these general releases I think they are taking a “wait and see” approach. If a title keeps selling consistently, then I do think they will press more. If I title sells below expectations and sales drop after street and doesn’t show any “legs”, then it’s likely they’ll just sell through existing inventory on that title and then kill it (or put in on moratorium, as they say in the business). Technically speaking, this is how all companies that release movies on disc manage their libraries. If a title doesn’t sell, they put it out of print. My advice is if you are collector, you should support the Vestron Video Collector’s Series. If you wait too long to buy a title, it may be there later, but it may not. That’s the risk you take. And that pretty much applies to any home entertainment physical release. So it’s my opinion that the Vestron Video Collector’s Series is “limited” in the sense that if they don’t sell with some consistency they’ll go out of print. And with Lions Gate not applying a number (like 3,000 or 10,000) to these “general releases”, it also keeps the blood sucking eBay scalpers at bay (I fuckin’ paid $100+ for a Blu-ray of Fright Night) and gives the true collectors an opportunity to get a copy. So are these “limited” releases? That’s up to you. If you order a copy in advance, then, does it really matter if it’s limited? For now, this is MY OPINION. If I get ANY info or factual information from Lions Gate on the subject (and believe me, I will continue to press the issue until I get an answer) I will post it here. For now, this is how I think Lions Gate is approaching the Vestron Video Collector’s Series line. If they stop selling, then they will stop making. Then again, I could be wrong.

Why are these so expensive?

That’s the million dollar question and I will give you my two cents answer (AGAIN… MY OPINION… THIS IS NOT COMING FROM LIONS GATE). First, it’s demand and supply. There’s a reason why everyone can buy a Lions Gate / Summit Blu-ray of “Twilight” on Black Friday for three bucks. Lions Gate made a zillion of those things. A shit-ton. At one point, there was HUGE demand for that title. When you have to make that many copies of “Twilight”, the cost per unit goes WAY DOWN. It’s been over a decade for that flick and it’s fair to say they are way past breakeven on what they spent putting that disc together so now they can sell that movie dirt cheap. Movies like “Chopping Mall”, “Blood Diner”, “Waxwork”, “Return of The Living Dead 3”, “C.H.U.D. II”, “Parents” and “Lair of the White Worm” just don’t have the demand that “Twilight” or “The Hunger Games” have. But the cost to bring these gems from the 80’s and 90’s to market is just the same as it is with those big films (and in some cases more if an old film needs a new 2K digital transfer and restoration, color correction, etc…). And these releases have to be profitable (why else would they even do it) for them. Lions Gate is a big, publically traded corporation and big publically traded corporations have to monetize their assets and show profits. Yeah, it sucks, but Lions Gate wants to make money. Ask any older collector and they will tell you about how it was way back in their day in the early and mid 1990’s when Laserdisc collector’s sets like “Aliens” and “Terminator 2” had suggested retail prices of $99.99 and $149.99! So while I agree with you that $39.97 seems excessive, these releases have to be profitable for them. But do know, I have shown Lions Gate your posts about the pricing and that has a lot to do with why the latest announcements are $34.97 and not $39.97, so your voices were heard. But also know this, if the Vestron Video Collector’s Series doesn’t sell to Lions Gate expectations, it won’t last. The more we support these releases with strong pre-orders, the more Lions Gate will continue to dig through their vaults and give us more of what we want.

Do know this… I’m fighting for you guys (and gals) every day. I’m proud to be a collector and represent all of us. Thanks for listening and thank you for supporting this page.

17. shithead

Hmm... a slip?

Could these be next?:D

satans-sadists likes this.
  18. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Those would be cool. Still, they're sitting on one that could easily make them a KILLING: Dead Alive. The old disc is OOP and easily goes for $80 online, it could use a new transfer, and extras are something US fans have never had (can't speak for all of the Region 2, 3, etc releases).

19. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Well said. I thought it was stupid back when it went straight to video, and I was I was in the prime demographic for a film like this at the time. I can't imagine it aging any better. If you are a fan of the now obscure sitcom "Head of the Class" then it is worth checking out. Other than that.... Kill it with fire.

shithead likes this.
  20. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

Thanks for being our advocate for these films and for those of us on this board. I admit I was shocked at the price range but, I, like you, am a huge collector. Have way over 3,000 discs (blu & dvds) in my collection, so I will buy these when I find them. Glad to hear they dropped the prices a little, but who am I kidding..I'll pay the price anyway. That' what a collector does. Thanks for the post bud. Very well said.