Vestron Video Collector's Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

2. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

Man I watched Slaughter High again recently to see if I should upgrade to blu and just wasn't impressed. It's a lot cheaper than I remember and really dragged (probably because I knew what was going on and how it would end). Just not how I remembered it and one I don't care to revisit.

Steel76 likes this.
  3. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Bought the uncut Arrow DVD a few years back. And I thought it was boring as hell. Sure it had some gore, but nothing that could save the movie.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Being dull is an all-too-common complaint against many of these deep catalog titles. Personally, I have only found a handful of films out of the thousands I've seen since childhood to be unbearably dull - enough to stop watching. Of those, about 75% have been dramas from 50's-60's, the rest are split between foreign films and newer movies. Valkyrie, for instance, was dull beyond belief. But I rarely find horror films to be dull, from any era. There's usually something to enjoy in a horror film but I'm of the belief that someone has to be a diehard horror buff to feel the same way I do. Someone on Blu-ray.com said that the film NIGHT SCHOOL was dull. The person who said it had a Buffy avatar - I think that says it all.

5. Zombie Dude

Yep that's the edition I have as well. Even the gore wasn't as good as I remembered. Heck one of the "kills" the killer just puts his foot on a girls head and lowers her back down into a sewer pit. I was like "so that means she's dead now?". She'd just climed up so I don't see how she wouldnt be able to do that again lol.
    I've found quite a few horror films I enjoyed as a teen just don't have the same impact for me anymore. My tastes have definitely changed since then.

Steel76 likes this.
  6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Same here.
    I used to have a high tolerance for crappy movies, and could enjoy many of them.
    But I just don't have the patience for this stuff.

It's sad though, how many movies I used to enjoy, that just bore me today...

sade and Zombie Dude like this.
  7. Zombie Dude

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. It is pretty sad. I've been going through quite a few horror movies I've bought over the years and finding I don't care for a bunch of them anymore. I have a pile I'm trying to sell on Ebay and just keep adding to it. Then it helps fund other films and better editions of my personal favorites that I want so that part is good.

Steel76 likes this.
  8. Slaughter High is fun. Definitely not the best slasher of the 80's but it has plenty of memorable moments. The only think I dislike is the ending.

fceurich39 likes this.
  9. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

If we're honest with ourselves, we'll admit that most of the movies we grew up with, those we watched as kids, seem kind of silly and even downright terrible now that we're adults. Not all of 'em, but most. And you know what? That changes nothing. It's escapism, that's all. I'm thrilled Kino released SpaceCamp - a silly, highly implausible film that still made me smile when I watched my Blu-ray last week. A lot of horror movies I loved as a kid today feel stupid, cheesy and fake but I still love them. I love the slower ones even more, the ones that build up and have lots of atmosphere- those are the best ones. I have 2500 movies in my collection, with about 60% horror movies of all kinds - Sci-Fi, slashers, gialli, supernatural - you name it. None are dull, most are cheesy and dumb and, more importantly, they make me smile while I'm watching them. And it's not just nostalgia- I genuinely enjoy them even with shades of white on my facial hair :)

10. Right on!

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Love every frame of slaughter high, so happy they released it. NOW BRING ON CLASS OF 1999!

Myron Breck likes this.
  13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Looks like Bestbuy stores will have Slaughter High vestron release in stores on Halloween.

14. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

^ Cool that they're carrying it in store. $29.99 seems a bit steep though.

Mine should be here tomorrow from DeepDiscount, along with The Lift, Down, Dawn Of The Dead, and Land Of The Dead.

Excited for news on Dagon and Beyond Re-Animator! Dagon in particular I've been eager to revisit.

fceurich39 likes this.
  15. Awesome news on Dagon and Beyond Re-Animator.

I don't love Beyond but it has some pretty cool moments and some funny bits. The fact that most of the cast is dubbed turns me off and It should've been gorier (even Yuzna admits he held back and shouldn't have)

It doesn't help the US release was edited.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  16. Zombie Dude

Mmm, I don't agree. I find a lot of the old horror I really love is still great. If it's terrible or too silly for my tastes now I just sell them off. I don't see the point in hanging onto ones I don't care for anymore and am happy to admit when I don't like a film I used to. That's just me though.

zbinks and Steel76 like this.
  17. Zombie Dude

Yeah I'm happy to hear those two are coming to blu soon.

I haven't seen Beyond in a while but I used to think it was pretty decent. I thought it was pretty gory but it's been a while so maybe not.

Blast Hardcheese likes this.
  18. The goriest moment is when a prisoner overdoses on the reanimation fluid. Sadly it was toned down for the US rated release but was seen uncut on the Arrow UK dvd.

19. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

FYI, I bought Slaugher High at Best Buy earlier and the online price is a dollar cheaper than in-store but they will price match ($28.99 online vs $29.99 in-store.) It's only a buck but that brings it down almost to amazon's price, though I'm sure it can be found cheaper. I had a $15 rewards certificate so I only paid $13.99. (BTW, how is it that a $1400 washer/dryer purchase only got me a $15 dollar reward certificate?! :mad:)

fceurich39 likes this.
  20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’m still waiting for another film from Vestron to be released on blu ray that I want. Haven’t bought any since Chopping Mall.

Steel76 likes this.