Vestron Video Collector's Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

Same here.
    I was about to buy the Waxwork disc, until I saw that the German release had a better transfer, and went for that one instead.
    Was also thinking about getting The Gate, but I already have a great looking HDTV rip, and a movie I might watch once every 5-6 years.
    Problem is that I have seen Warlock, Gate, Return of the Living Dead 3, etc. about a billion times, and upgraded way to many times, during the last 25 years, that I'm just not feeling the excitement anymore. I'm sadly hard to please these days.

There needs to be something rare and GOOD, like Chopping Mall, for ME to get excited again.
    That was a movie, like The Mutilator, that was stuck with a shitty video tape transfer, for 30 years.

2. I've bought them all because they look great on my shelf. Do I love every film? No but I enjoy them enough.

Now where's Stepfather 3 and Ghoulies III....

loutoad23 and chancetx like this.
  3. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info I might go pick up Slaughter High at my bestbuy they show 2 copies

chancetx likes this.
  4. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

Crap, I figured this would've dropped in price a bit before release. I like Slaughter High, but I certainly don't $28 like it. I wish I would've paid attention to the order, I would've cancelled and waited for a while.

5. I usually grab them right away but I could only afford Demon Wind last month and I'll have to wait on Slaughter High.

fceurich39 likes this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Check websites like DeepDiscount. They have frequent 15% off deals, and most of them are already on sale around their release date.

I think the most I've paid for a Vestron is around $22. Slaughter High was $21.24, and that doesn't include the 5% cash back from TopCashBack.

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Same, I think they suckered me with the slipcovers and the numbering. I might have skipped The Unholy and Lair Of The White Worm otherwise. But I'm glad I own them, especially if it helps the line continue. A majority of their titles have been must-haves. So many titles in their catalogue to look forward to!

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

You guys are making me wish that I actually liked this movie. The local bull moose is selling it for cheaper than Best Buy at $23.97.

9. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Agree with this, especially that last part. When the Vestron line was announced my mind was racing with possibilities. That catalog is chock full of cult oddities, most of which are probably lost to time. Not once did I think movies like Wishmaster would be used to fill slots but I suppose these more mainstream movies have their fans. I'll pick them up but, like you, I'm secretly hoping we get more obscure titles.

Steel76 likes this.
  10. Wishmaster deserved a HD release tho. I'm grateful they gave it one.

11. maybrick

For me, the charm of Vestron was mostly in the nostalgia of going into a video store and seeing all of their cheesy B movies on the shelves they largely dominated. It was fun being able to take them home for the night for $2, but like any film production company, I don’t know if I’d want to own most of them, certainly not for $20+. Having them on blu ray, while great, just doesn’t feel the same to me. To recapture that magic I still need to watch these movies on VHS.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  12. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I love the memories of renting VHS but I wouldn't care to watch anything in that format any longer. Give me the best quality. Also if you wanted to buy the VHS instead of renting they tended to be very costly.

13. I still collect here and there but russweiss hit the nail on the head: VHS titles, especially cult titles, are not cheap unless you get lucky.

14. maybrick

That's almost beside the point. Every Vestron tape I have in my collection was purchased for $3 or less. Most for under a buck. Neither am I saying that I watch much of anything in that format any longer either, but if I did and I wanted the true "VESTRON" experience that is how I would go about it.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  15. maybrick

I guess I was lucky in being old or foresighted enough to grab the ones that I wanted back in the days when everybody was throwing them out in favor of DVDs.

Blast Hardcheese likes this.
  16. Lucky bastard.

I got rid of mine and regret it deeply.

17. Steel76

Vestron was available in Sweden as well, and I used to have a nice collection of their titles, but sadly I sold most of them 20 years ago.
    Only got three tapes left, Ghoulies, Trancers and Chopping Mall.

18. Not some bad titles, especially Chopping Mall.

Steel76 likes this.
  19. Steel76

Yeah, that's my favorite :)

20. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

VHS is still a fun nostalgic experience. I used to love the trailers at the start that would show me all these films I'd never heard of and pique my interest.
    I still got a few horror VHS tapes I like to hang onto.