Vestron Video Collector's Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by zbinks, Sep 13, 2016.

1. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I won't say that he's an unreliable source, but it oftentimes seems that Jim Wynorski is a few years too quick to unveil release plans for some of the films he's directed.

Buechlers_beard likes this.
  2. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

At the same time, Jim couldn't remember which label, or indeed Country it was coming from, so there's still hope it'll appear if he has recorded a new commentary for it.

3. Buechlers_beard

Buechlers_beard Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right. It'll creep onto BD eventually...

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

A bunch of Vestron blu-ray titles are below $20 at Amazon again.

6. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

Saves me $30-40. I’ll wait for the Umbrella release baggio mentioned or for this to go on sale.

8. x666x

x666x Well-Known Member

This is reminding me of Waxwork all over again. When this line stops, someone like SHOUT will re-release it with a proper transfer but their own shitty artwork...or better artwork if it is Arrow.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I'm doubting Umbrella's release will be any better as they usually use existing masters and don't do their own. I hope I'm wrong though.

Kind of terrible of this Vestron title costing so much with such a shiity master. They could have at least tried to put some effort into its presentation.

Katatonia and Steel76 like this.
  11. Stige

Stige Active Member

I always wonder, I saw the screengrabs of Return of the Living Dead 3, the German and American versions, and the German looked much better to me ( as did the Waxwork I bought ( again!) from Germany. I know Vestron is releasing movies we want but are the transfers lackluster ,for lack of a better word?

Steel76 and Katatonia like this.
  12. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

There are things with the Vestron range that annoys me, the limited status, but no details of how limited, the collectors status but them using those awful eco cases and some of the transfers, I brought the Vestron waxwork and sold it as it was quite underwhelming, I've recently purchased the German release, and the difference is night and day.

Zombie Dude and Steel76 like this.
  13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

You never know, Vestron could still wind up being the better version. Umbrella's Beyond of Re-Animator reviews haven't been so good compared to Vestron's version. Myself, I'm still confused on the whole thing. Kinda disappointed too. Have been very high on Umbrella lately. They really stepped up as far as getting noticed (as a player in the business) and released some good stuff this last year imho. Waiting for actual screen cap comparisons between the two Umbrella/Vestron Beyond Re-Animator.

http://horrordvds.com/community/thr...u-ray-release-thread.48388/page-3#post-852485

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    Katatonia likes this.
  14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Only one reviewer that mentioned the Umbrella counterpart in comparison so far. He reviewed the Umbrella one first too. Looks like the Vestron is the one to get. But yet I still like to see caps comparison for myself.

"Beyond Re-Animator comes to Blu-ray from Lionsgate’s Vestron Video line on a 50GB disc (with the feature taking up just a hair under 24GBs of space) framed at 1.78.1 widescreen and presented in AVC encoded 1080p high definition. Last month the movie received its high definition debut from Umbrella Entertainment where it was paired with Bride Of Re-Animator (reviewed here). The transfer for Beyond on that release left a lot of room for improvement. It was soft and waxy, heavily DNR’d and likely taken from an older master. Vestron’s release was touted as being ‘restored and remastered’ in press materials and indeed it does look a lot better than the transfer that Umbrella used. There’s no evidence of DNR here at all, and both detail and clarity are much stronger. There are some scenes that still look a bit soft, likely due to how the picture was shot, but this is a solid looking picture. The movie isn’t super colorful in that most of it takes place inside a prison but color reproduction is quite nice, that familiar green glow of the re-agent really popping quite nicely. Black levels are good and while you might spot a minor compression artifact here and there, the image is quite clean and free of any serious print damage."

16. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

If you open both reviews from Rock Shock Pop there are a couple screen caps from both that are from the same scenes so you can compare the two.

Such as:
    Umbrella release: http://www.rockshockpop.com/screencaps/BrideBeyondReAnimator/18-1.jpg & http://www.rockshockpop.com/screencaps/BrideBeyondReAnimator/20-1.jpg

Vestron release: http://www.rockshockpop.com/screencaps/BeyondReAnimator/01-1.jpg & http://www.rockshockpop.com/screencaps/BeyondReAnimator/02-1.jpg

baggio likes this.
  17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Unfortunately they are not the exact same shots. Slightly different. Example, the one with the needle is a different zoom into frame. Umbrella is much darker, but I think that may because the scene didn't get a chance to light from the glow of the needle yet. I could be wrong though. But so far it's the closest we got to comparisons. Otherwise the caps from Umbrella look really good to me (talking about the other stills)

18. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I didn't say they were the exact same caps, but from the same scenes which still does allow for comparison. Especially the ones with the kid and the syringe since they are likely only a couple frames apart and you can compare the white area in the lower bottom right and how the highlights are completely off/darkened on the Umbrella transfer.

19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to getting Beyond Re Animator to complete the trilogy on bluray can't order this until Aug 2 lol though!