Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Same here. While I like the slips. Some of the titles I own are without slips. Because when they sell out of the them, I buy VS titles at another place. DD is one example. With their sales, I can pick up titles year round at under $18.(no slips)

2. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Regardless of the math, it simply doesn't sound like a subscription is for some of you. Some of these movies are pretty niche and not for everyone, and that's okay. If there's only 5 movies a year you'd want, getting just those 5 movies is undoubtedly the best way to go.

For me, I would have ended up buying a majority of these individually anyway, so a subscription works out for me. It's also nice not having to worry about keeping up with releases, finding the best deals, waiting for DeepDiscount sales, not getting slipcovers, etc. You also get everything early, which some people pay extra for via Scream Factory, Diabolik, etc. I would never pay extra for that, I'm all about getting the cheapest price, but it's a fun bonus here. Scream Factory, Arrow, Code Red/Scorpion, Severin, etc are already difficult enough to keep up with, so it's nice having one less label to worry about. You also don't have to spend time placing a new order every month. You place one order a year (well, two if you want the VSA titles, which subscribers get at a substantial discount) and it's done.

Plus, I've ended up with surprises like Sudden Fury (a terrific Canuxploitation gem that had never been released on home video) or Buddies (terrific, though to be fair not highly rewatchable) that I might have passed on otherwise. Even though this is a horror forum, I'm into just about anything when it comes to movies as long as it's good. Those surprises have even encouraged me to check out some of their earlier releases pre-subscription like Massage Parlor Murders and Good Luck Miss Wyckoff that I might have ignored before, made even easier when you add them to your monthly shipment during their 50% sales. I missed out on their Runaway Nightmare blu-ray, so my only order addition outside of the November releases this sale was the DVD version for only $3.99 using the $5 off coupon.

I know we talk about selling off the ones you don't want, but I really haven't sold off that many. When I have, it has worked out well. eBay or whatever can be a hassle, but I do it anyway so it's not a big deal. I'm not the type of collector who needs to own all 20 disc editions of Halloween, so I always sell off the old versions whenever I upgrade anything. If you stay on top of it, the money balances out pretty well. It's surprising how many people still buy DVD and VHS, especially when it comes to horror. If you're not concerned with slipcovers or the DVD copies, some people even sell those on eBay. If you're that ambitious and willing to part with those, I'd imagine your subscription could easily pay for itself.

But this whole conversation about how a Vinegar Syndrome subscription isn't appealing is a bit cyclical. It's like I don't like Marvel movies, therefore a paid subscription to get every Marvel movie on blu-ray would be a huge waste of money for me. Even a company like Arrow, who have some incredible releases that I own many of, releases a lot of stuff I'm simply not interested in. If they had a subscription service (which I believe they did in their early years), I wouldn't spring for it. I probably feel the same way about Mondo Macabro that a lot of you seem to feel about Vinegar Syndrome, I own maybe two of their blu-rays. It all comes down to taste.

russweiss and MorallySound like this.
  3. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

If you want to average out the price per individually, with the subscription you're looking at roughly $14.50 USD/release, which is still cheaper. Sure, it's not for everyone, but it's still the best deal all-around and you get the LE slips and occasional bonus perks (additional $10 off coupon codes for each VSA releases, etc.). Plus, if you don't like slipcovers you can easily sell just those and make at least $5 minimum per slip, which then can bring the cost's down to less than $10/release. I understand it takes take to re-sell stuff, but as collectors and purchasers of physical product that's one of the give-ins if you want to make anything back on a purchase you no longer want; you have to put in the time to list/ship.

Exactly! Speaking of the time it takes to re-list something for sale, it almost definitely takes more time to have to constantly research titles and find the best deals!

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Another way to look at it. People who don't buy the subscription are paying an additional couple/few dollars per release for the advantage of picking and choosing. Also what gets lost in this entire thing. If you buy the subscription, you are coughing up $700 for titles sight unseen. (yes I know they list a handful of titles prior) $700 in one shot is a lot of money to some people. Now if they listed the entire catalog for 2020, that might be a different story.

5. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

It all depends a bit on your personal and financial situation. At this moment in life, I have the cash to do this so I do it and it's actually a bit addicting, feels like going to the videostore each month and rent a film each week out of the stack of new ones. Also, the only way to see these films legally for me is to buy them (I live in Belgium). There are a lot of movies in my collection that I have only seen once up until now, ranging from crap ones to amazing stuff.

I also want to point out something : when you buy a physical disc, it's not necessary to immediately watch it. I still have more than half of my life before me (I hope) and in that time, I can watch them.

That said, you have to take into account that a certain percentage of the movies you get this way, you will only watch once.

On the other hand, it's perfectly fine to NOT subscribe and pick the ones you want.

6. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I buy a lot of VS but I don't need all.

- I don't buy/own adult films
    - I don't buy/own cult/non-horror

So I just pick the ones I want. And I have skipped quite a few in the last year. The Amityville Box was just what I wanted. The other stuff not so much.

If they did a Silent Night, Deadly Night 3-5 Box I would buy that (hint, hint).

7. CPT HOOK

Another great thing about Vinegar Syndrome is you never have to worry about mediocre transfers, bad compression, poor encoding, replacement programs, etc. In the time I've been a subscriber, there has been only one replacement disc. And if you ever do have an issue, they have the best customer service of any of the cult labels.

Also, with these cult labels, you have to order everything online and you're at the mercy of what they send you. Cracked or busted cases, discs loose in the case, missing slipcovers, unwrapped items from Diabolik, DeepDiscount's useless cardboard raviolli shippers, etc. It's not that common, but it happens. Vinegar Syndrome is sending me 2-6 blu-rays each month and I've never received a broken case or floater disc from them. Amazon, DeepDiscount, Shout Factory, Target, Barnes & Noble, Diabolik, ScreenArchives, etc I can't think of another retailer with as impeccable a track record in that regard (although Ronin is close, but I did get a broken case from them once which they promptly replaced hassle-free).

chancetx likes this.
  8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Wow, surprisingly both my Fright-Rags AND my Arrow orders came in yesterday! I was joking but my other Black Friday purchases did arrive before VS shipped! That's the nice thing about being centrally located and so near the distribution hubs to boot!

Speaking of which my VS order shipped today; although USPS has yet to obtain it. I was expecting to be at the bottom of the Flash Sale pile because I was a bit late on that so this beats my admittedly low expectations. Although my email does not explicitly mention the UHD which I placed and previously confirmed in my online account. We shall see if that comes. Hopefully that's not a common oversight for those who upgraded.

I'm hesitant to buy a yearly package for many of the reasons Paff and others have mentioned; although I'd like to see them all I just don't have the time to watch them all. And I'm not going to pay a premium up front to do it; as relatively good of a deal as it admittedly is. I don't have enough time to watch my high priority discs none the less random ones someone mailed me. Although the few VS discs I do find the time to put up on eBay have been paying off so I'm tempted to do it just to flipped whatever I don't like. You could theoretically come out ahead if you're patient and savvy about what you list and when; say after two years. If it wasn't for Tammy and the T-Rex, a guilty pleasure of mine, I wouldn't have gone for the blind pre-order. I never had before and probably won't again unless they tease another guilty pleasure. It turned out alright with this bundle but it was already shaping up to be a safe bet with what they did reveal.

But that's something of the point of the yearly offer. This is for the faithful that buy VS titles without much regard for what specifically the titles are. They're out there and if VS can get some fiscal operating funds from them it's of mutual benefit. It's those that pre-order everything and leave them to sit on their collector shelves that keeps the lights on and the releases coming from independent distributors. A cheapskate like me who buys twice a year select titles at half price and flips the occasional one is not really doing them much of a favor.

I think the only studios I would do a yearly package for are Mondo Macabro and SWV but they have a much narrower focus on types of releases so I have a better idea what I'd be getting. I do pre-order and pay full price for MM's Limited Editions regardless of what they are. If I don't like the title I could theoretically sell it and undoubtedly come out well ahead on it too but that's yet to happen; I've enjoyed them all. :D

MorallySound likes this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I watched a couple of Vinegar Syndrome movies over the weekend since it's been on my mind. By the way, I hope everyone posts some personal reviews/recommendations in this thread; we're all getting that $5 coupon for use next year, and I fully intend on using mine. Would love to know if there's some titles out there that should be on my radar (other than my already substantial "want" section in my checklist).

Fleshpot on 42nd St. This was a first time watch for me, having gotten it on the Halfway sale earlier this year. The super low-budget and poor filmmaking quality in general takes a little time to get used to (I've never seen an Andy Milligan movie before). You also have to figure in how revolutionary it was to have a transgender co-star, and prostitute as the main character. And by prostitute, showing the more accurate vision rather than glamorizing it (I.E., Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany's). As such, it's one of the few films where the sex scenes actually service the plot and are more than just an easy way for the director to knock out 5-10 minutes of running time. I'm still a little on the fence as to whether I enjoyed this film or not, but I was glad I saw it.

Terror. A semi re-watch, as I made it about halfway through earlier this year but turned it off due to being tired and not exactly engaged by the film. Now having seen it all the way through, I can say that the more interesting stuff does happen in the final 30 minutes and is well worth it. I do see the Argento inspired scenes, including one murder that's rather identical to a scene in Inferno, except this pre-dates Inferno by two years. Hmmmm. This one I definitely like having in my collection, and I'm gonna want to listen to the commentary and see the interviews. Recommended, and easily one of my favorite VS discs. Get yourself one if you don't have it already.

10. CPT HOOK

I watched Tammy & The T-Rex, which was a staple of the USA network throughout the 90s, as they used to air it constantly. I saw it a lot then, but haven't really seen it since.

When they say "gore cut", they ain't kidding! There's gore and blood spraying everywhere throughout. The effects are pretty wild. I loved seeing this again, now in this gorgeously restored splatter-filled version.

The extras are a lot of fun too. The guy who played the abusive testicle-grabbing ex-boyfriend now would be perfect casting for a live-action King Of The Hill movie. I forgot Shevonne Durkin from Ghost In The Machine, Leprechaun 2, and The Liars Club was in this. Where is she? Somebody get her for a disc interview!

baggio and MorallySound like this.
  11. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

My VS package arrived today with the 12 titles I ordered. The Angel collection has a cool cover where half of it pulls off to access the three movies. Very cool design. The lenticular cover for Tammy and the T-Rex is more 3D than the few other lenticular items I've seen. I'm glad that I finally got a VS subscription this year. Just getting all the slipcovers is a treat in itself.

baggio likes this.
  12. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I haven't even received a shipping notification yet--but I'm taking comfort in the fact that I'll have my discs long before the Severin Black Friday exclusives materialize. I thought I was going to die before Jack The Ripper arrived.

13. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just got an shipping confirmation this morning...

[​IMG]

5 minutes later...

[​IMG]

14. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Still don't care much, here. I got Criterion movies from the November flash sale, and Blue Underground from the Grindhouse sale. Not to mention VS titles from previous sales I haven't even watched yet. I'm good.

Stige likes this.
  15. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I got my notification today, too. This plus Joe Bob Friday night? Maybe it really IS Christmas time.

loutoad23 likes this.
  16. MorallySound

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Out of the four releases coming this January. Flesh Eating Mother’s, Zombie Island Massacre, A Thousand and One Erotic Nights I & II .... I rather have the adult titles over the two horror ones.:cool: Have almost zero interest in them, they look awful.

Somebody change my mind.

18. MorallySound

I haven't seen Zombie Island Massacre since the horribly compressed Troma Triple B-Header DVD and don't remember much about it... (I will definitely be watching the new VS Blu to refresh my memory, plus it will look a million times better than that Troma transfer), but I can recommend Flesh Eating Mothers if you like horror comedies. I re-watched it a couple October's ago giving it a solid 3 outta 5 and had this to say: This 16mm '80s low-budget backyard flick is a bunch of fun that while delivering the laughs along with the gruesome gore also delivers some serious commentary on relationships, domestic abuse, and wrapping up your tool! While there are some sections that slog the film to a halt, there's plenty of flesh-eating.

loutoad23 and baggio like this.
  19. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

Haven't seen Zombie Island Massacre since it played in the theater. Can't remember anything about it but I do like the cheesy one sheet.

Zombie Island Massacre (one sheet) A.JPG

loutoad23 and baggio like this.
  20. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

One of my good friends was an extra in Flesh Eating Mother’s - the scene where all the kids are fleeing the cafeteria.

Also, Donatella Hecht, who plays the main character Linda, was my dogs veterinarian in Danbury, CT!!! I was watching it for the first time and was like “wtf?! That’s our vet!”. lol.

The movie is very B and meh at best, but still entertaining enough. I’ll be adding it to my library for all the reasons above!