Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

2. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

3. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

As mentioned, that beginning was great. I also thought the ending had some creepy moments, but the middle dragged a bit. Overall though, I quite enjoyed it.

I noticed in the credits the assistant director was Don May. Would that be Synapse Don May Jr's father?

4. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

5. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

chancetx and SilentScreams like this.
  6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

It's an older VS title, and I bought it at a BF or BF/2 sale a few years ago, but I finally got around to watching Psychos in Love this past weekend. Didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. The bad jokes and puns were really cringe-y, till they used one that's in my regular repertoire ("Can I join you two?" "Why? Are we falling apart?"). Debi Thibeault was awfully easy on the eyes, since I love redheads, and 80s fashion. Not sure if and when I'll revisit it and/or get to the boatload of extras. It's one of those movies I wish I'd rented rather than bought, but that's part-and-parcel of Vinegar Syndrome; you have to take some chances with their movies, and those chances don't always pay out. You always make a few blind buys from VS that turn out to be real favorites (and a few that are real duds), this one falls somewhere in the middle.

8. MorallySound

Psychos in Love was also a first-time viewing for me when I got the VS release, but I personally loved it and for me it's one of my favourite first-time VS discoveries! Sure, it's campy and a lot of the dialogue is overly punny but there's some real charm in this odd yet extremely funny horror-romantic comedy. For such a regional low-budget film, it's extremely well made and acted, and features some great gore! Goreman's first film Disconnected, also from VS, is also good/worth the watch - I don't like it as much as Psychos, but it's a lot more serious in tone and a little more experimental.

russweiss likes this.
  9. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I just haven't developed enough of a taste for the so-called "regional" horror films. Stuff like Psychos, Blood Hook, the American Horror Project films from Arrow, they aren't clicking with me.

Zombie Dude and Dobby like this.
  10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

I preferred Disconnected to Psychos In Love.

loutoad23 and Dobby like this.
  11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I'm not sending you any more movies! :eek:

12. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I prefer the regional stuff over the big studio genre output of the time. The movies aren't "clean" in that they arent on built sets and blocked within an inch of their lives. And to me, you can practically feel the dreams and aspirations of these filmmakers (yes, whose reach does sometimes exceeds their grasps) as they just try to get the project done. I think of these films as cinematic haiku: there are so many constraints on them that they have to work harder to make something novel. Plus, it seems that the more fingers in the pie of a horror film, it can sometimes "bleach out" its intensity. These littler films seems more potent in their vision than larger and more boardroomed product. I want to see when people in Indiana dreamed of Hollywood in 1985, to see their efforts, and to love it on its own terms. At the very least, if you can't hum the soundtrack, hum the hairstyles, right? I feel like with studio product, I am watching THEM. With these films, we are on some level watching US: people who dig these films are making these films and not just for the marketing usually; the sincerity is there. And that is what makes these little films so big to me.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  13. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Bought Flesh Eating Mothers today I haven't seen it since it was on USA up all night. Wonder how it will hold up?

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

As well as Rhonda Shear.

15. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That sounds good in theory, but in practice I'm devoting an hour and a half of my time to a movie and I don't think it's too much to expect it to be competently made. And too often, the "regional" stuff just isn't. I appreciate the idea of it being made by true fans rather than accountants and executives, but at some point in the chain there has to be filmmaking talent involved. As Cleavon Little said in the great movie "The Gig" (it's not horror, it's about middle-aged guys in a jazz band that get a once-in-a-lifetime weeklong engagement at a Catskills resort, and suddenly see the good and bad of the life of a musician), "Devotion isn't always enough".

I'm not against the idea of regional horror, as Night of the Living Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre DEFINITELY fall into the category. But there's a reason George A. Romero and Tobe Hooper went on to long careers in the biz: filmmaking talent. It's great that a lot of you find enjoyment in some of the obscure titles VS releases, I honestly wish I did too. I've taken chances with some titles, and found some obscurities that are real hidden gems. But there's a lot, and I mean a LOT of turkeys in the bunch too (another reason, other than $$$, that I'm not a VS subscriber).

Zombie Dude and Natas like this.
  16. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Fully agree, and I'm in the same boat.

Its an amazing experience to watch some forgotten or obscure or even just off the Hollywood path film that exhibits excellence. More so if defies expectations, shows that elusive innovation so often missing in mainstream works.

But it just can't justify wading through hours of works made with far more ambition than talent. I have just too much unwatched content and too little time to justify that. Worse, too many bought and watched and then dumped for pennies on the dollar disks.

The allure of the hidden gem will always be there, I'll always take chances on the foreign release, the indie produced in pursuit of that novelty high. Many, if not most of the highly rated films in my collection come from that pedigree. But I won't buy out and sort through the entire junkyard hoping to find one extra treasure.

hots4 and Zombie Dude like this.
  17. loutoad23

loutoad23 Active Member

Beautifully said.

18. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

I really think in order to fully understand you have to be of a certain age group: those of us who had to take "box risks" with video rentals and bring home a two dollar gamble: I come from a generation who didn't consider the dreaded Blockbuster video to be a real video store. It had no diversity of product and no room with a magical curtain that blocked out children. And I will agree the quality did change each time movie production got more accessible. Plus, I groove on the isolation of the locations (Zaat, Messiah of Evil, So sad about Gloria, Ride in a pink car, Three on a meathook, The chooper, etc)- stuff that is so steeped in their own locations that they present a mood of picaresque gothicism de facto- it doesn't even have be the filmmakers' intent; it's just baked in. To me it is a nice alternative to an overhomogenized world. It's a DIY alternative to glossier fare. It is the visual equivalent of Wax Trax compared to Warner Brothers.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
    loutoad23 and gobad2003 like this.
  19. MorallySound

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From VS's Facebook page:

We are thrilled to finally announce our first (of several) collections of rare Italian and Spanish gialli. Forgotten Gialli: Volume 1 will feature three never available in the US titles and will be released in April. Pre-orders will be available soon.

Javier Aguirre's Euro-sleaze-star-studded adaptation of And Then There Were None, THE KILLER IS ONE OF 13, León Klimovsky's giallo/proto-slasher hybrid, TRAUMA, and Helia Colombo's supremely weird THE POLICE ARE BLUNDERING IN THE DARK.

All three of these nearly impossible to see films will be presented in brand new, 2K restorations from their original negatives.

20. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

At least one of those I have been hoping for. I'm in cause there's always room for giallo!

Erick H. likes this.