Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Showtime / TCM play Christmas Evil quite frequently. Perhaps it's that? I think they list it under You Better Watch Out. Great movie.

2. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

OK yeah, that's the one. And I wasn't aware of the different title. And I see it IS already a VS release, so obviously it's not one of the upcoming ones. Never mind.

3. CPT HOOK

If you've never seen it, HIGHLY recommended! It's brilliant.

4. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Do members of this forum have some sort of bias towards Vinegar Syndrome? I ask because the lack of discussion is appalling, especially considering this is a horror site. They just announced a fantastic September lineup and people are talking about...drumroll...Christmas Evil! This thread isn't even in the General HD section (where it should be).

Anyway, Killing Birds is my favorite of the batch, mainly because it's the only film I'm familiar with. That's not to say I'm not thrilled with the rest - I am, especially after a super lackluster Summer output. Their Fall lineup is the highlight of the year, the rest is very hit or miss (too much focus on arthouse IMO). The Fall is when they bring out the "big guns" so a subscription doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts?

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be opposed to it. Would have to move Shout, Synapse, and Code Red threads too. All should be in High Definition given the current times imho.

6. CPT HOOK

Oddly, I'm most excited about Memorial Valley Massacre, which is not a great movie by any stretch of the imagination, however the "public domain" (apparently it's not) DVD I have gives it a very shot-on-video look. It will be interesting to see it looking like an actual film. I love that Vinegar Syndrome posts screengrabs on their website listings, it only makes me more excited for their releases.

I went to Robert Vaughn's house from Zombie 5: Killing Birds back in February, right before all this coronavirus stuff happened. Same house from The Beyond and Beyond Darkness.

elDomenechHDG likes this.
  7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'm not sure what the "appalling" part is, but hey, I'll address all this as best I can.

First of all, location of threads, well that's already all over the place. Some distributors' threads are in High Definition, others in General, etc. I don't have a solution for it, and since the main page just shows recent threads regardless of location, I don't think too many people care. I suppose one or more of us mods could go in and move stuff into more appropriate sub-forums, but even Covid hasn't made me bored enough to want to go do that yet.

Christmas Evil, I'll mention that since I brought it up. Which I only did because I was unaware of the alternate title, the one they used for a recent broadcast. So because it had the VS branding but was not listed in their catalog, I posed it might be an upcoming release. Not the case, of course. Since VS is intentionally secretive in their announcements yet they LOVE teasing upcoming titles, I just thought it might have been a case of that. Again, not so. But it's certainly an apropos train of conversation here; it was a VS release, it was on a pay channel just over a week ago, why not talk about it?

And I think we keep a pretty good discussion of VS going around here. I myself usually don't get excited over upcoming releases though, because about 95% of the time I've never heard of them! Low budget regional horror (a significant percentage of VS's output, you must admit) has never been my "thing", though when a title starts getting positive reviews I've been known to add them to my cart. At the Halfway sale in May I bought 20 titles that encompass 25 movies (due to some double and triple features). Of those 25, I'd seen exactly ONE already. The rest are blind-buys. So that's why most of my posts in this thread are about existing releases rather than upcoming ones. But hey, if you all are excited about an upcoming title, SAY SOMETHING! Don't complain that someone else hasn't yet! Hell, I wanna hear it, and see if any upcoming titles are must-haves for me.

Bottom line, if you feel that not enough discussion is happening about VS, or anything for that matter, there's a little blue button marked "Post Reply" here. Feel free to use it as much as you like. Don't cost nothing.

8. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

As VSA titles are expensive for me to purchase (import etc) I decided to give spellcaster a viewing before committing any dosh!

Wow I'm so glad I did. Boy it's bad. Not in a so bad it's good kind of way, just rubbish. An easy pass from me.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    Zombie Dude likes this.
  9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm digging this September slate! I actually considered all four but limited myself to Ladrones de Tumbas and Killing Birds. Killing Birds looks like good, gory fun, and I enjoyed the other Zombi sequels quite a bit (Zombi 3 more so than After Death, though). I have Ladrones de Tumbas on DVD and am happy to upgrade. The undead killer looks like the love child of The New Blood Jason and a Tombs of the Blind Dead Templar. Except at the start of the movie, where we see him as a beefy Mexican stud. Oh, and there's viscera and chopped off limbs. What's not to like? The other two titles look just a bit too goofy four me, but after a few dry months (and a disappointing October slate from Arrow), I feel that two out of four ain't bad.

hots4 likes this.
  10. scott71670

scott71670 Well-Known Member

I am going to pass on the titles for september. I already have them in older editions
    Memorial Valley on a beloved vhs I even made a dvdr from to preserve it.
    Killing Birds on media blasters
    Ladrones on a bci set
    Spellcaster on an on demand dvdr.
    That said, I know theyre great I just have a deal with myself not to double from decades ago.
    However, I am enthusiastically waiting for those future titles (VSU...so I am assuming it is Vinegar Syndrome Underground???)

11. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

So I was going to get Killing Birds but after doing some research it seems most say it's fairly boring. The others don't really seem to interest me either sadly.

12. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Just curious, is it just you and Dave?

13. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I love VS. great guys, always great presentations but I just wish they could get their hands on slightly more upmarket titles to pair with the underground titles. The overall upcoming releases would pop more if their was one high end title in there.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  14. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

If by research you mean taking whatever a handful of wet-behind-the-ears noobs at Blu-ray.com say as gospel, then you really should expand your criteria ;)

There are very few Italo-splatter films I've ever been bored by but I've always found something to like in even the lamest POS. Killing Birds does not fall into the "boring" category for me. Maybe not setting ANY expectations for these types of films helps to appreciate them more?

This is a very solid lineup IMO - certainly better than anything VS released during the entire Summer. I just got my copies of Alphabet City and The Caller, BTW. I never watched more than 15 minutes of my DVD copy of Alphabet City - this BD upgrade will hopefully make it easier for me to give the film a second chance. The synopsis is definitely up my alley but I fear this'll turn out too artsy for my tastes.

15. CPT HOOK

I would say if you're a fan of the Italian Ghosthouse movies or Filmirage fare, you'll probably enjoy Killing Birds. Actually, I might say it would pair quite well with Grave Robbers. It's not as wild or energetic as Zombie 3 or 4, but it's a central group of attractive young people being picked off by the supernatural.

I'll also add that I quite enjoy the oddities/"underground" titles that Vinegar Syndrome releases. It keeps me excited about collecting, and occasionally discovering titles I've never seen before. We don't need another company releasing the umpteenth version of Halloween or Evil Dead.

hots4 likes this.
  16. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I saw Killing Birds back on DVD and it was fine, but I cannot tell you one thing about it. I'd prefer stuff like Demons III: The Ogre if were going that route.

Again, Love the VS guys, and while I like discovering underground stuff, some more "on the radar" stuff would be most welcome.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  17. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

I didn't look there at all actually. Googled a bunch of reviews and they all said the same thing which is never a good sign. That being said, there wasn't a lot out there talking about the film that I could find.

18. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I managed to find killing birds on a streaming site and gave it a watch. WOW that was fucking awful with no redeeming qualities for me whatsoever. The worst thing ive seen in a long while. For people who find some enjoyment in this I salute you!

Mutilated Prey and Zombie Dude like this.
  19. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

As soon as the head came flying out of the mini fridge in Zombie 3 I gave up on everything except the original - lol.

hots4 likes this.
  20. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Bought and watched Zombie Island Massacre it wasn't as bad as IMDb score indicates the recycled music from harry manfredini actually really helped the movie.

I really wish we could get Alone in the dark 1982 on blu

Angelman and zompirejoe like this.