Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

These are both easy skips for me (my reaction to Censor was also "meh"), but curious to see what else this line may bring.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

3. CPT HOOK

Two of the November titles will be revealed at midnight, a little over an hour from now.

4. Katatonia

https://www.facebook.com/vinsyn/posts/4876175519077271

[​IMG]

Our 2021 Black Friday Flash Pre-order is now LIVE and runs through 11:59 PM EST, this Sunday, September 26th. Take this weekend to secure your copies of our entire November VS lineup, at an extra discount that WON'T be available during the sale itself!

We are so excited to announce [most] of this year's November lineup, kicking off with a film we've been salivating over all year: Paul Morrissey's incredible FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN, starring Udo Kier in the performance of a lifetime, which we're presenting in 4K UHD and 3-D for the first time on home video! This cult classic has never looked better, and our 2-disc edition comes complete with hours of newly shot interviews. This is the ultimate Frankenstein experience.
    Next up, William Malone's extra gory outer space shocker, CREATURE, starring the incomparable Klaus Kinski duking it out with a toothsome alien with a hearty appetite, comes to Blu-ray for the first time ever, from a brand new 4K restoration and presented in both its commonly seen theatrical version as well as its alternate TITAN FIND edit.

And last, though certainly not least, the maestro of Italian horror, Dario Argento's stylish and gruesome giallo with an all-star cast, TRAUMA, makes its English friendly Blu-ray debut, presented in both its International Version and Italian Theatrical Version, jam packed with newly shot interviews and rare archival materials, including the extended video workprint!

Plus, this is your one shot to pre-order our two Secret Surprise Titles, which will be unveiled when the Black Friday Sale goes live! This year we have a ferocious twosome of gut ripping horror in store for you, with one being the world UHD premier of one of the most infamous (and best) films to emerge from a notorious era in this country's long and storied filmmaking culture. The other, a uniquely twisted take on an American exploitation tradition, headed to Blu for the first time ever!

And finally, we're so excited to open up pre-orders for the VSP (Vinegar Syndrome Pictures) deluxe release of Prano Bailey-Bond's remarkable, spine tingling, cinephilia infused nightmare, CENSOR, making its UHD debut. If you love brutal violence, film history, video nasties, or exquisite 35mm cinematography, don't sleep on CENSOR.

For all other details and to see the various packages available during this pre-order, head on over to www.VinegarSyndrome.com right now!

zbinks, baggio, russweiss and 2 others like this.
  5. hots4

hots4 Dogs In White

I ordered the November package, Got to have Flesh For Frankenstein and I'm a fan of Creature so thought fuck it, if the others are crap I should get money back as they are all shipped with slips, see how it goes, Never ordered from them direct before, I live in the UK, so hopefully no unforeseen problems!

6. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I did get the FLESH FOR FRANKENSTEIN. I hope it makes a nice companion piece to Severin's BLOOD FOR DRACULA item.
    I love CREATURE and TRAUMA but I will have to pass on the secret titles because I just don't know enough about them to put myself in the red. I hope to get
    Creature and Trauma when they get released, however.

7. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I'll probably just get Frankenstein in November, and wait on Trauma for the prices to go down.

8. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

I liked Censor well enough to want to buy a copy, but I didn't $30 like it, so I'll wait and see if it eventually gets cheaper.

9. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Like some of others have said. Like a couple of these releases. Will wait for the prices to drop.

I'm seeing a trend here. VS, still great. No knock on them, but their "inventory" has been strong and plentiful for much longer period than a couple years ago. Plenty of stock. People just aren't buying like they used to. Zero rush on any of these titles. Especially the 5,000 limited version releases.

Katatonia likes this.
  10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

That's a phrase I use verbatim on a regular basis. Like just a week or two ago I found a copy of the OOP Eerie Midnight Horror Show at a used record store. "I like this movie!". Then I looked at the price stamp. "I don't $30 like it though..."

X-human, Zombie Dude and maybrick like this.
  11. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

Censor looks good but $30 for a blind buy is a lot. I guess the labels are pushing 4K as a way to increase profits but it's pricing me out of the collector market. I don't plan on upgrading titles I already have and the higher price point is really going to make me carefully consider any new purchases. (Of course I said the exact same thing when Bluray starting supplanting DVD so...)

Katatonia likes this.
  12. CPT HOOK

I think it's the opposite. Slips were originally limited to 1000, then they upped it to 2000, then 4000, and now they're up to 5000. They want to make sure everyone who wants one has an opportunity to get one.

If only Arrow would take note, as their limited editions often sell out before street date and even people who pre-ordered might not get one.

MorallySound likes this.
  13. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

I'd say it's actually the opposite for people buying VS; their fan base and orders have increased, hence any of their limited edition numbers now being 1.5x to 2.5x what they used to be so they've obviously seen an increase in demand since they've increased those numbers. They might appear to sell out slower, but again that's because the numbers are much higher.

14. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Right. Which means plenty of copies in stock. You're proving my point.

Besides, just because the say "over 1,000" in stock. It could mean 4,000 copies left. We have no idea. The idea of upping their Release #'s, is making them more available. Now there's no rush to buy as to fear they will sell out. Which was my point. Plus you say their fan base and orders have increased? Ok, but ever since they moved to 5,000, they have inventory. That would mean they are overshooting their base imo.

Which brings up another thing. If they limited it 1,000/2000... they would sell out of everything. Making their product "worth" the high prices. Now, not so much. I'm not paying $30 for a release. No reason to. Either way, I'm happy. I don't have to buy the yearly Subscription. And I can pick and choose what I want at really good prices during Sale days. Couple years ago, I was buying almost everything on Pre order day. Now, no more. I'm saving a lot of money this way. So, they can raise the Limit to 10,000.

Katatonia likes this.
  15. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I like the fact that VS tells you how many limited editions are available. I kind of wish they did the Mondo Macabro version of numbering them. Arrow on the other hand just states limited so you don't know how many copies are pressed. Also they often have limited UK and US editions of the same title which greatly increase the number available.

Katatonia likes this.
  16. Katatonia

I can 100% understand that for non-subscribers. They're not going to sell out overnight, or next week, or next month... or maybe even next year. But I doubt their overall selling rate has decreased due to that.

I guess with my first Yearly subscription (I had a Halfway before that), I'm really seeing the value of having that. I don't have to worry about paying $170 a pop for a monthly package that I would otherwise get anyway, and the Partner release sub coupons come in handy too. And if you don't want some particular release that comes with your subscription, you can easily just sell/trade it off too.

baggio, russweiss and maskull like this.
  17. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I've felt this way since I started subscribing a few years ago. If I just hand picked the titles I want, by the end of the year the cost would be close to the subscription price but I would only have about half the titles. By subscribing I get all the titles and can easily sell ones I don't want for more than they cost. Flesh For Frankenstein is a perfect example. I would have purchased that title for $49.99 whereas with the sub it only cost about $17.00. Also, as you mentioned, the Partner release coupons are great as they take $8.00 off nearly all those titles. For me it is a win/win situation and unless something drastically changes at VS I will continue with the yearly subs.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    maskull and Katatonia like this.
  18. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

19. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Pulled the trigger on Frankie. For once, I'll be in the second tier when it comes to shipping, instead of the last, since I almost always just back-fill on catalog titles. And of course, a quick glance reveals nothing I really need this time around except for maybe Summer Camp Girls. I might even wait for the smut sale in February to get that.

20. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I'm excited about Titan Find, and as always, my mind is racing to figure out the mystery titles (which I never get right). The clues are:

Okay, so title number 1 marks their first foray into one of the craziest horror film making cultures on earth. We can rule out Italy, Spain, and Mexico (hahaha!), and some have speculated that the title in question is Indonesian (could it be Mystics in Bali?). The first title that popped into my head was Ghost of Guts Eater. It's definitely crazy, and there are guts.

Title 2 is American, sleazy and gory supernatural horror. Hm... Hollywood Meatcleaver Massacre? I guess I just want it to be that. It does fit the bill, though.

Katatonia and maskull like this.