Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

I just ordered Ticks. It's one of my favorites. Now to sell the Blu-ray for a LOT less than I could have a week ago lol.

chancetx likes this.
  2. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Somewhat dry month for me... I like gritty, unpolished, and low-budget, but I'm not really a fan of goofy - The Laughing Dead looks like too much of the latter for my taste. I'm somewhat curious about The Grave, mainly because of the hunk factor of Craig Sheffer. I remember Ticks for its gooey effects, but is it one I strictly need in my collection? Probably not. Not ruling it out, but I'm simply not as nostalgic about the 90's as I am about the 70's and 80's. The only movie from Camille Keaton set I've seen is Tragic Ceremony, and that didn't do much for me. Too convoluted and too little payoff. I knew VS was putting out Nothing Underneath and its sequel, but the clips I've seen online didn't tickle my fancy. Of the partner label releases, Boardinghouse has my attention. Seems very strange and experimental, but also too amateurish to be truly enjoyable, perhaps. For me at least. Would you guys recommend Summer of 84?

Sorry for coming off as a negative Nancy, but I will say that this is the first month in a long time where VS doesn't really have anything that excites me. I'll probably get The Grave (for Craig Sheffer). Looking forward to seeing the Black Friday mystery titles revealed - and to ordering Creature. I tend to enjoy those 80's low-budget Alien rip-offs (Forbidden World, Galaxy of Terror, Inseminoid), so that one should be right up my alley. You know what would make me really happy, VS? Home Grown Horrors: Volume Two, and seeing you release something that actually is a slasher when you hint that you're putting out a slasher. :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  3. Cooperkill

Cooperkill Well-Known Member

I wouldn't. I thought it was a lame Scooby-Doo episode that also rips off The Burbs. However, I seem to be in the minority. The movie has a dark ending that (I think) tricks people into thinking the rest is good.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  4. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Thank you, @Cooperkill - I really appreciate the feedback. The whole suspecting your neighbor of being a serial killer has been done before, but I don't mind that. What matters is how well the movie manages to use this premise to build tension. It's my impression that reactions to this movie have been mixed.

5. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I can respect that, mainly since a big reason I chose to watch it way back when is that in the 90s, Gabrielle Anwar was 20 pounds of cute in a 10-pound bag.

Kim Bruun likes this.
  6. f.ramses

f.ramses sociopath

I was just thinking about Shatter Dead the other day and now there it is from Saturn's Core under their partner label releases! Really like the stuff Saturn's Core has been putting out; imo they've come out of the gate pretty strong with their first 4 releases.

7. maskull

maskull I finally got an avatar!!! Yay!!

I preordered the Ticks and Camille Keaton set today. Almost bought all the October releases, but space is really at a premium in my house now.

8. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

It's been a long time since I ordered anything from them but that Camille Keaton boxset is mine! Also picked the Nothing Underneath double bill.

9. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I friggin' love Summer of '84. It's the same people that made Turbo Kid, and I thought it was brilliant for a low-budget whodunnit.

I already have the great looking German Blu-ray set, which was very limited... but I'll definitely be getting this 4K release.

[​IMG]

zbinks, gobad2003, russweiss and 2 others like this.
  10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I also like Summer of ‘84. But why buy it when I already subscribe to Shudder and it’s free?

Shatter Dead I thought was just awful when it was new and I was always lukewarm at best with Ticks. I first saw it on Sci-Fi Channel in the 90s and it felt like a made for TV movie. I’ve never gotten the love for it. All and all a bad month for Vinegar Syndrome to me, and justifies why I would never subscribe to them (or really any label for that matter).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  11. Katatonia

Having a physical media copy, the bonus features, and is it 4K on Shudder?

12. maybrick

I could give fuck all about 4K. My eyesight simply isn’t that good, and extras are nice but I never watch them. Just my opinion, natch.

13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Kat is right about Shudder not being a permanent source though. Movies come and go from the service all the time.

14. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

Record store got Auntie Lees Meat Pies any good? Anyway really looking forward to Ticks gonna get that along with Creature and Blades after the holidays!

15. maybrick

Generally not the “originals” though. Let me put it another way: Why are people asking if Summer of 84 is worth a blind buy? You don’t have to buy it! You can get a free trial Shudder membership for a week! And don’t give me the excuse of “there are people living in the Yukon Territory that can’t stream movies”. Yeah, all three of them. Just do it so we don’t have to read you bitching about a movie you didn’t have to spend money on to watch! :p

16. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Oh, you don't have to sell me on "try before you buy". I have these long arguments with a buddy of mine, because he blind buys old movies from Criterion all the time, when I tell him that a Netflix DVD subscription would give him access to pretty much every Criterion title in existence for around $15 a month.

maybrick likes this.
  17. Stige

Stige Well-Known Member

Hoping Ticks and 1984 end up on amazon. And Flesh for Frankenstein.

Steel76 likes this.
  18. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'm all about Ticks!!! That movie is just fun from start to finish.

"They call me Panic because I never do!"

gobad2003 and fceurich39 like this.
  19. Zombie Dude

Zombie Dude Well-Known Member

How often does VS have sales? There's a few releases I'd like to grab but the prices are currently quite high.

20. Katatonia

Usually twice a year, the "Halfway to Black Friday" sale in late May and the "Black Friday" sale in late November. I seem to remember an "adult only" sale also, but can't remember when that happens.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021