Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Aside from a few truly exclusive limited edition titles (Runaway Nightmare Blu-ray, The Cut-Throats, Murderous Intent/Fright House) VS has always stated that the slipcover releases are only limited to the SLIPCOVERS themselves (and in some cases a booklet too - Liquid Sky for instance also has a limited booklet) and that a standard edition would follow when those sold out (so yes, Ice Cream Man and Disconnected will get standard releases when the slipcover edition sells out). So it's not misleading to say the slip cover edition is sold out - because it is sold out. And if you have a yearly package from more than one year and they ship you both releases then do what any person who has doubles does - sell off the one you don't want to keep. Not a hard question to answser...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    X-human likes this.
  2. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

I don't think the standard edition re-releases are included in their monthly packages, so I suspect they're not included in the annual or semi-annual packages, either.

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What's also worth mentioning is that you get the movies 6 or more months before commercial retailers. With the way people pay a monthly fee like prime to get it on THAT Tuesday, or try to work the system other ways to get it even earlier (like paying more at retailers known to break street date) just to get something only a day or two earlier, that means something.

Since these releases are only a few dollars more than the street price a slip cover, a booklet and a few months ahead of the wide release, it seems a fair trade off to me.

For the movies I like with slip covers I especially like I'll spring for it, plus I know it helps VS out. But for titles I'm lukewarm about I've held off. So I bought Sweet Sugar but held off on Red Mob. Bought Ice Cream Man but held off on Disconnected. And I'm glad I have the option.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Still say my idea is better. Just put the product up and say the first so & so get a slip. not hard to do at all. On the double titles, sometimes it could be a hassle of having to "sell off" a blu-ray. Unless one does that all the time and is used to it. Depends on the price, other wise with ebay fees, etc... it's not worth the time. Rather give it away to a friend or family.

As far as "Not a hard question to answser..." It was a legit question. According to zbinks, looks like you may have incorrect information or he does. So it was a good question to ask imo.

5. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I believe slip covers are basically a marketing tool to enhance the sale of a product, to make it sell better. NOT to be more expensive. Several major & small companies have slip covers titles(and sometimes you may not even get one), their prices are no different then films without. It's these couple/few small companies that decided somewhere in the last couple of years, that they could charge more for slip covers. This was never the case before. Yes, booklets, mediabooks, figurines, extra Blu/DVD's, exclusive bonus video content, digital downloads ... these make the items more expensive. But not slip covers. It's a new trend that needs to go away imo.

Think about it, your paying between 20-25% more on a product for the luxury to have a slip. Not saying I haven't partake in it myself, I certainly have. But it's crazy when you break it down.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Then wait for the cheaper non-slipcovered release?

It's really not that big of a deal. And if you think it is, this discussion probably belongs in the Synapse thread instead of here.

Zombie Dude likes this.
  7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Then why are people knowingly and willfully paying more?

8. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Never said I wouldn't want a slip cover, I like them.

Synapse, probably right.

Have no idea. Maybe because they really want the movie and in some cases there is no choice.. I fully admit I have paid more myself.

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

But people knowingly pay more to guarantee a slip cover; even when a cheaper option which in some cases is simply a lower chance of receiving a slip cover is all that is at stake. And people go on eBay and buy these slip covers at escalating prices. There is regular trade at about $5 for average mass produced ones.

Does really wanting a movie and having no choice (ie no non-slip cover version) account for this?

10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

It depends. For Scream releases I don't care. For VS I want the slips. Can't explain why, other than I like the way they look. My Unholy came without a slip and is the only Vestron disc I own without one. That bugs me. It's probably just the OCD completist part of a lot of us.

11. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Email Lionsgate and just say you didn't get a Slip or yours arrived damaged. They'll ask for a proof of purchase (email/screenshot/receipt scan) from wherever you bought it from, but should still mail you a Slip.

My "Parents" Slip from DD arrived bent and beat up, so I emailed them about it and they sent a new one.

Angelman likes this.
  12. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I bought the Warlock Collection on Amazon & it arrived without a slip a couple months ago. I emailed Lion's Gate at the time & they refused to send me one. Their reason? Because I bought it from a third party seller on Amazon. It was a third party seller shipped by Amazon, but that wasn't good enough for them.

13. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

They mailed me a slipcover for The Unholy when I didn't receive one on release week. Can't remember where I ordered from, but most likely DeepDiscount.

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

16. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Got the Jack Frost blu ray for Xmas this year. Got a chance to watch last night. Man this flick looks terrific on blu. So much fun. One of those movies you either love or hate.......I'm definitely in the former. Excited to own this on blu finally and will add to my annual December viewing lineup!

hots4 and othervoice1 like this.
  17. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

What is kind of misleading (in my opinion) is VS listed "reversible cover art" as a special feature. That reversible art was the same image, just without the title of the movie. I was expecting the old, video box art from yester year...... which Id prefer. Not the biggest deal in the world, but again, a bit misleading.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  18. Swampthing82

Swampthing82 Active Member

This slipcover nonsense has gotten crazy. There are some assholes on EBay selling the damn slipcover, separate, for more than the actual bluray costs! Are they cool? Yes. Necessary? No.

baggio likes this.
  19. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Active Member

that's horrible, but the people who ACTUALLY buy from scalpers are just as worse

f.ramses likes this.
  20. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

you be surprised how much cash these slipcovers go for on ebay.. specially the ones that are OOP..