Vinegar Syndrome - New Genre Label

Discussion in 'General' started by MorallySound, Sep 12, 2012.

1. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Watched my Blood Hook blu-ray last night. WHY OH WHY can't Vinegar Syndrome and Arrow release EVERYTHING. I don't know exactly what they do differently, but their transfers are always so fucking gorgeous and leaps and bounds above all the other cult labels. Whatever they release, it's like, just take my money. Take it all.

Quality is a knockout, no surprise. And there's well over an hour of interviews. An all-around stellar release of this wacky little homegrown slasher.

How cool to have an extra 20 minutes, but at the same time I think they hurt the movie a little. This was my third time seeing it. Loved it the first two times in the 90 minute version, it's like The Mutilator without the gore. Here, still thoroughly enjoyed it (and Vinegar Syndrome's gorgeous transfer makes it super easy to look at), but I was a little bored at times.

Still, a definitive release and a must-own for fans of the homegrown Americana slasher film.

2. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

I think I'll take the bait and buy blood hook again. My record store got it in today I called. I still have the Prism vhs.

3. zbinks

zbinks Beset by Creatures of the Deep

With VS, I think it boils down to their collective experience as a film lab / restoration house, both for their own titles and those of other labels.

f.ramses likes this.
  4. hellraiser40

hellraiser40 Well-Known Member

and probably also the willingness to go the extra mile

5. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I think Vinegar Syndrome's secret is what they DON'T do--apply too much digital processing to scans. Their transfers always end up looking like film because they don't reduce grain or employ digital sharpening. They obviously clean up print damage and perform color correction, but they have the good sense to stop there. I wish Universal had the same philosophy. I'm sure they spend lots of additional time and money to make amazing scans look worse.

rxfiend and Zombie Dude like this.
  6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Did anyone watch The First Man, the bonus movie on Blue Vengeance? I like the cast, but something tells me it might be boring. Curious for opinions before taking the time.

Anyway, I did watch Blue Vengeance and really dug it, although doubt it'll have high replay value. It was sort of like Relentless or The First Power, only filtered through Larry Cohen or Frank Henenlotter's New York City (which makes sense, as the director cut his teeth on Cohen sets). Apparently they stole every location, including the Staten Island Ferry, the Brooklyn Bridge, the subways, CBGBs, etc. Quite impressive. And if the cops ask for a permit, blame Kenneth.

I may have even liked it more than Relentless or The First Power. The cop (also the director) and the girl had really great chemistry, they reminded me of Murphy's Law. And the killer gives a totally bonkers performance, especially when he's singing. The scene with the hitchhiker genuinely creeped me out, gave me major Confessions Of A Serial Killer vibes. And the big finale involves bicycle jousting.

It did have a few dull stretches, but when it's fun, it's FUN. It love it when companies dig up little movies like this, I had never even heard of it prior to Vinegar Syndrome's announcement.

7. hellraiser40

Japan Shock and Dragon had issued the film years ago on DVD, i have the former and saw it once a long time ago, I can only remember not liking it at all

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yeah, I watched The First Man on the Blu-ray last week. It's a little slow and artsy, but actually fairly good overall. Heather Graham, Ted Raimi, and Lesley Anne Warren all have sizable roles in the film...so it's worth watching at least once if you have the Blue Vengeance disc.

It's a sci-fi plot, but more dramatic than anything special effects laden. If you dig 90's indie films, it's worth checking out.

9. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

10. hellraiser40

i know it's a bit 'late to the party' but today i watched Ice Cream Man and Demon Wind

both i'd like to classify as very flawed but enjoyable, considering Demon Wind as a very rough diamond with quite a lot of ambition

the restoration work done on both is amazing

loutoad23, Natas and fceurich39 like this.
  11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

CPT HOOK likes this.
  13. zbinks

It was posted in a closed Facebook group, so just in case anyone wants to see the teases without having to go into Facebook...

[​IMG]

Grave Robbers aka Dead Mate

[​IMG]

Alien Zone aka House of the Dead

14. delicreep

delicreep Active Member

Shit. My bad.

zbinks likes this.
  15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The halfway to Black Friday mystery titles have entries now:

Halfway to Black Friday (Secret Blu-ray #1)
    https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/halfway-secret-1/

Halfway to Black Friday (Secret Blu-ray #2)
    https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/halfway-secret-2/

Worth noting with Secret Blu-ray #2: "This Limited Slipcover has an edition size of just 1,500 units. The film WILL NOT be re-released in a standard retail edition." Whereas Secret Blu-ray #1 has no such notation and will be 2000 units. So it sounds like this will really-really-really be a short run for Secret Blu-ray #2. Really... Really-really-really... Really.

16. zbinks

Various clues:
    Both films are 70s productions with one having been shot at the beginning of the decade and the other at the very end (but unreleased for years after its completion).
    The early 70s one was re-released in the 80s under a different title.
    The late 70s one was released in the 80s under a different title.
    The early 70s one plays like a sleazy melodrama.
    The late 70s one seems oblivious to its sleaze factor (which is much higher than it lets on) and clearly wanted to be a 'respectable' film.
    NEITHER IS A HORROR MOVIE.
    Both are 70s exploitation mind benders.
    One a home grown gem of white trash nastiness, the other a surprisingly elegant portrayal of guttural sleaze.
    While both were shot in the 70s, they each saw releases in the 80s. One such release was a standard reissue while the other remained unavailable for viewing for over half a decade after completion of principal photography.
    Have they been on dvd before? Yes, but both looking like garbage. Also both cut, but in different ways.
    While HONEY BRITCHES is a thoughtful and reasonable guess, that's not one.

17. hellraiser40

i'm totally clueless though i immediately thought the 2nd one was of a nun touching herself

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Yes? And how does that make you feel... o_O

19. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Neither is a horror movie? I’m out.

x666x likes this.
  20. scott71670

scott71670 Active Member

Im guessing the first one is Poor Pretty Eddie. Fingers crossed cause it is a personal fave

Myron Breck likes this.