Vintage Newspaper clippings of our DVD favorites! LOOK:

Discussion in 'General' started by wago70, Apr 18, 2007.

1. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I have to agree. Some of my earliest memories were going through the paper and looking at these very photos in awe. I knew at that young age that this was for me. Now at my old age, it still it. :)

2. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Love that Vampire Playgirls/Cemetery Girls/Grave Desires ad! I found one sheet posters for the first two a couple years ago.

3. Severn

Severn Member

Wow. Fantastic thread.

4. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I may be getting WAY too deep here, but I almost wonder if this is one of those cases of something good that had a bad side effect. Where a step forward led to a giant step back.

Let me give two big examples:

"talkies". Films with sound, after the Silent Era. I mean, you would think that sound would be a giant leap forward with film, but was it really? Look at the silents. Some incredible action, great stunt work, great acting and facial expressions. But once sound was introduced, almost every film became a few people on a set, talking. It was like a stage play. Oh sure, there were some great films made then too, but how long would it take before action and stunts became a regular in film again? I'm almost thinking you had to wait for Ben-Hur in 1959, 30 years later, before you saw great on-screen action again.

CGI: Yes, the impossible becomes possible with CGI. But look at something like The Exorcist vs. Stir of Echoes. Both films needed to have a character with visible breath. The Exorcist did it with a refrigerated set (at great cost), Stir of Echoes did it with just a little CGI. Yet the effect in Stir of Echoes looks totally fake compared to The Exorcist. Again, a step foward in filmmaking techniques, yet the 16-year old film looks better.

What the HELL does any of this have to do with the posters? Well, look at some of them, like The Fog and Phantasm. Notice that it's the RETURN of those films to the theaters! When does that happen anymore (other than this weekend's return of Avatar)? How often does an older film get another week-long run at the theaters? Almost never, all due to.....our wonderful hobby of home video. Sure it's great to be able to watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre anytime we want, but there was just something special about those revival runs. And sadly, it's an era that will never return.

Fistfuck likes this.
  5. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    I have ads for TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE from 1981, 1982, 1984 and 1985 - can you imagine this playing a week (or three in 1982 case) to an audience that sat quiet and mesmerized through the whole thing! It was actually something special to go see that at the showhouse or drive-in because that was the ONLY way to see it. TV was not an option. There was that VHS, but I didn't have a VCR until 1983.

6. wago70

7. halloweennight

halloweennight New Member

thought id share a few
    [​IMG]

8. wago70

Awesome HALLOWEEN ad! Thanks for the addition.

9. wago70

10. Franco

Franco Weekender

You collect those?

11. wago70

Oh yes, a bit difficult to find since Halloween was surprisingly released closer to Thanksgiving in many markets in '78 (my hometown included) and then in the Spring of 1979.
    The best ads come from the Oct. 31 release in 1980.

12. wago70

13. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Love these clippings. They're so inspiring when I'm in the mood for double features. Lots of fun watching two movies back to back like they were shown at some theater back in the days.
    I did Texas Chainsaw Massacre & Torso based on an old newspaper ad last year. I'm still looking for clippings including The Dark (1979) as a double feature, but no luck so far.

14. wago70

Yes, I have seen that trailer for The Dark/Beyond the Door 2 but I still have yet to run across an actual ad.
    I have a 1982 ad from the L.A. Times for Torso/Autopsy. I knew nothing about those movies at the time (and now they're two of my all time favorites).
    I want to post more clippings but I wonder if I should shrink the photos so they don't take up so much room.

15. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure where to put it. Didn't want to start a new thread.

Old premium channel guides from the 80's

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Spacevis

Spacevis There's some Dettol in the jeep!

Am I the only one who doesn't see any images in the post above?

17. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Try reloading the page maybe? I know I posted them but they are showing up for me, I'm using Firefox. I hope they show up, its like 20 + images.

18. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Tourist Trap, Death Valley, The Orphan! These are awesome, baggio! Thanks for posting!

baggio likes this.
  19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

Awesome post baggio.

20. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Wow, yeah, some of those are great. Glad to see The Beast Within listed, as that was a Showtime horror staple back in the 80s. Like everything else, it's hard to imagine how much as changed since then. Back then you had ONE premium channel (whether it was HBO, Showtime, whatever) when you subscribed. Wasn't like you could watch Top Gun on one channel or Friday the 13 Part II on another. So you really had to work around the airings.

I also liked seeing The Boogey Man listed, one of the few horror imports that made the pay-channel rotation (like, did you know that right now Showtime has Battle Royale in rotation? Man how times have changed), along with the other Lommel film, The Devonsville Terror. I just wish The Eerie Midnight Horror Show, aka Tormented, was included. Or as my drunken (on two Miller High Lifes, mind you) teenage friends and I called it, Girl Gets Boffed by a Statue.

On another note, Wago's listing for The Exterminator that he posted in 2010 includes the Middlehope Drive-In, less than a mile from my home where I grew up. This is rural upstate NY, so that's kind of a big deal. In fact, the theater sat abandoned until it became a convenience store in 2012, from what I understand. Here's a photo from as recent as 2009:

[​IMG]

It's unfathomable for me, now living in Southern California, that real estate could remain undeveloped and/or abandoned like that. The only places here that fit that description are the California Theatre, which is highly contested (people want to turn it into a hotel or parking garage, but others are fighting to keep it as a "historical landmark"), and a restaurant called Pernicano's that has been abandoned 30 years in a prime city location, but the owner refuses to sell it due to "sentimental reasons" (despite the fact that the space it occupies is worth tens of millions).

Here's another theater near where I grew up that I believe is still standing, unoccupied:

[​IMG]

Pretty sure the last movie I saw there was Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2