Visiting Hours

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by STREET TRASH, Jan 22, 2003.

1. STREET TRASH

STREET TRASH Synthicide

Here's a rather refreshing slasher film (a bit of an oxymoron, I know. Anyway..) Lee Grant stars as a TV journalist who, after giving her editorial on women's rights attracts the attention of a real misogynistic psychopath (Michael Ironside). He breaks into her home one night and brutally attacks Grant – in one hell of a suspenseful sequence I must say . Things do not go accordingly and after a botched murder attempt Grant is brought to a local medical center in need of surgery after suffering a few bumps, bruises and deep slash wounds. Of course, Ironside follows and what ensues is a long winding cat-and-mouse game.

Good slasher flick with strong performances – especially Ironside as the calm and collected killer. He doesn’t have many lines of dialogue but it makes him a much more ominous presence this way. Like an unstoppable Michael Myers-esque killing machine. A few of the murders are a bit mean-spirited – for instance, the old woman who’s oxygen machine is cut loose. We watch as she gasps mercilessly for air, all the while Ironside snaps photos of his nefarious deed. There isn’t much gore, unfortunately, but William Shatner DOES turn up!! - Looking young, healthy and very non-Capt. Kirk.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2003
  2. speanroc

speanroc I WANNA BAN

ah yes one of the good ol u.k. video nasties

ironside definetly gives an over the top nutty performance

i love the scene where he smashes his arm on a table
    filled with broken glass:D

3. I have not seen this movie around anywhere for years. Is it finallyout on DVD? And if it is, wherecan I get it? :D

4. Mark Relford

Mark Relford Chairman of the Bored

I wish it was out on DVD! Fox might still have the rights, but it'll be a cold day in hell before they release it.:(

5. Richard Anthony

Richard Anthony Member

VISITING HOURS is a favorite of mine. A very good, and effective 80's Slasher film, with strong performances from Michael Ironside, Lee Grant, and especially Linda Purl. She is terrific in this film.

I own the long OOP Fox VHS, and I also would love to see it turn up on DVD. However, I don't we will be seeing it anytime soon.:(

6. Joel Groce

Joel Groce Guest

One of the very best slashers!!!

This is one of the keepers, great creepy Spinell-like performance from Michael Ironside, loads of creepiness, good scares, sleaziness, everything I want to see in a slasher... hopefully it will come to DVD sooner or later...

7. Well thanks for letting me know so that I will not end up looking everywhere for the DVD.

8. Yeah! Visiting Hours is awesome! I've still got my old uncut tape!
    There was a cracking double-bill poster of Visiting Hours & Escape From New York! Wicked stuff.

9. Hernster

Hernster Guest

This is, so far, the only so-called video nasty that's been shown uncut on normal T.V. in the U.K (on ITV for U.K. posters). It did get complaint's though. Probably to do with the Shat's acting. LOL.

10. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

Why whats Cut???

11. legnadibrom

legnadibrom Guest

poop

i rented this flick last year merely because of ironside, but it is a cut above rest in that it has an actual plot with actors that can really act

12. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Ah, this was a good flick. Would make a great Double Feature with Hospital Massacre :)

13. Hernster

Hernster Guest

Sorry, I've no idea. Not even seen the film either!

14. Visiting Hours was never officially on the DPP list - so it was never really a 'Video Nasty'. It was taken off the 'banned' list and not given a new certificate for video release until 1986.
    It's currently unavailable in the UK - either because nobody's thought to release it, or whoever owns the distribution rights doesn't know it!

The original X rated release was cut in the UK, and I think the version released later was the same print.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2003
  15. Ravenheart

Ravenheart Guest

I haven't seen this in years but I agree that Michael Ironside did a really good job in his role of the killer.This is one I'd love to add to my collection.

16. wago70

wago70 Surviving on nostalgia

San Francisco - down by them two ol' sheds
    This got a really wide release in the US in the summer of '82. I remember it playing in a du-plex opposite ANNIE. I took my mother to see this...and we stayed and watched it twice!
    Would love to own this on DVD.

17. RyanPC

RyanPC Guest

I found the VHS used for $2.99 at a video store. I'd never seen it before but was pleasantly surprised- it turned out to be a rather original little thriller. I almost shat myself when
    Ironside first jumps out of the shadows and stabs Lee Grant.

18. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

19. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I picked it up yesterday. Sucks that it really didn't get any worthwhile extras, but at least it's out on DVD!

Anchor Bay must have quit with the Postercard/Chapter inserts. There was nothing inside this or the Bad Dreams cases.

20. Bad_Ronald_1983

Bad_Ronald_1983 New Member

I just picked this up on Monday. A/V quality is pretty good, could have been a little better, the extras, are lacking, no insert, and the cover art all around looks a little cheesy. They could atleast put in a theatrical trailer!