Visually impressive slasher films?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by vampyr789, Oct 3, 2013.

1. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

Just finished Night School (which I loved by the way), and I gotta agree with rhett about how beautiful the cinematography is, what are some your favorite slashers that are visually striking?

Off the top of my head I think of Halloween, Happy Birthday to Me, My Bloody Valentine, and Just Before Dawn.

2. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Night School, Happy Birthday to Me, Alice Sweet Alice, Black Christmas, Tower of Evil, Night Warning, Ghost Keeper,

Actually there are a lot. Many are not typical views of beauty, but I think most of the golden age even with low budgets managed their surroundings well. House on Sorority Row has lazy moments, but also a few dozen stunning shots. The music helps too.

I love the natural feel of Friday the 13th, the Euro-feel of Madhouse, and the New York grime of Maniac and The Driller Killer. The New York Ripper is especially beautiful, which is crazy considering its subject matter.

3. rhett

rhett Administrator

Glad you dug Night School, buddy.

Good looking slashers I can think of off the top of my head:

10 to Midnight (Slick and has the sheen that Adam Greenberg would bring to the Terminator flicks)
    Dressed to Kill (DePalma, lots of great showpiece sequences)
    Blow Out (see above, but even more so and better)
    Prom Night (always liked the soft focus, and the prank phone call scenes are done quite well)
    Terror Train (impressive in a different way, since Kubrick's DP was using mostly available light in closed quarters)
    Deadly Blessing (been awhile with this, but I remember some great compositions and usage of light and dark)
    Halloween 5 (say what you will about the movie, but it's got a kinetic European visual sensibility)
    Next of Kin (been awhile with this too, but it had some nice Hitchcockian moments)

If you add in gialli, you've got way more to chose from, but the stuff Vittorio Storraro did (The Bird with the Crystal Plumage and The Fifth Cord especially) is the cream of the crop and probably better looking than any slasher films to boot.

And pretty much all the Elm Street movies with their dreamy aesthetic and wacked logic.

4. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

ooh yeah I totally agree with Alice, Sweet Alice, Dressed to Kill, Prom Night (I too like the soft focus!), and Black Christmas.

as a side note, rhett, Blow Out is one of my favorite films of all time. Gotta love DePalma!

5. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

MY BLOODY VALENTINE and THE PROWLER are both well shot,the former makes great use of it's natural locations and is impressively lit while the later has a soft focus,dream like atmosphere.

6. msw7

msw7 Re-animated member

A lot of the exterior shots of Bereavement (2010) were quite beautiful (interiors were way too dark though).

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

When rewatching my Anchor Bay disc of Madman recently I was struck by the style of the composition and lighting.

8. Chainsaw

Chainsaw New Member

Blow Out, very stylish.

9. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Madman has some gorgeous compositions - the silhouette shots of Marz remind me of those ancient shadow plays, and the shot of him advancing down the hall with the girl trying to find a hiding place in the kitchen is extremely elegant, using the layout of the room to create a split screen.

Black Christmas, of course, has that zoom on the killer's eye. It may not be technical wizardry, but it is an iconic and quite unsettling image.

10. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

A lot of the post Scream movies are pretty to look at. I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legend, Valentine, etc.

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane and Cold Prey were also easy on the eyes.

11. Suicide

Suicide Space Bastard!

The French film Deep In The Woods is a great example of a visually impressive Slasher. A lot of great imagery and some very inventive camera work. It's pretty low rated on IMDB which I don't understand - maybe people were watching the dubbed version and the dubbing was really shitty? Sure the plot isn't going to blow you away, but it's very entertaining and visually I think it's pretty amazing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0236638/

12. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

The Final Terror. Its visual aesthetic does wonders in deepening the mood of the film.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Yes I agree - maybe not exactly classics but they are visually impressive and I actually enjoyed all those you mentioned

14. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

15. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Halloween (1978) (The blue hues and that always impressive 2.35 scope which Carpenter used to great effect)
    The Prowler (1981) (like Night School, also shot with a similar soft focus)
    A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) (Jacques Haitkin really brought a high budget look to this considerably low budget feature)
    Madman (1982) (This film actually looks fantastic, as long as you're not watching the Code Red DVD)
    The Boogeyman (1980) (As a whole, the film is nothing to gawk at. But the opening sequence is beautifully shot and the Argento/Bava influence is apparent.)

16. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Also forgot to mention (and I'm surprised no one else has mentioned) The Funhouse. Gorgeous film!

17. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

Yes! Good call.

18. ronnie21

ronnie21 Well-Known Member

yes The Funhouse is a very good looking movie, a little too much build -up but I always love that monster... and the colorful carnival..

19. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I think The Funhouse is quite perfectly paced, actually. The whole movie has this eerie vibe to it and it just builds and builds. The scene with the fortune teller and the monster is quite disturbing.

~Matt

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Not slashers, but The Shining and Sleepy Hollow are quite stunning.

For a slasher, American Psycho is pretty good.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013