Wacko - UK DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by Hellbilly, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

[​IMG]

Just wondering if anybody picked this up and could tell us about the audio and video quality etc.

I like this silly movie, might have to order it.

2. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

I remember it being OK, I'll run down and check it out now, back uno momento.

3. patmcgahern

patmcgahern Guest

The Picture aint too hot, looks like it came from a vhs master, and the sound is audible but warbly at times. Overall it's vhs quality, albeit not a very good vhs. If you can get it cheap like I did then consider it.

4. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Thanks pat.

It goes for €6.99 at amazon.de so I guess I'm getting it.

5. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Yep, I bought the DVD from Xploited about 6 months back. Here's a link to it from them: http://www.xploitedcinema.com/dvds/dvds.asp?title=1233

It's a neat little comedy spoof, sorta like Student Bodies in ways. I wouldn't say the DVD looks like a VHS transfer, but it's not a stellar transfer either.

6. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Watched Wacko earlier today via Amazon Prime. The transfer is fullscreen and pretty awful. The studio who put it up there is FilmRise, who I believe are responsible for that cheap Moonstalker BD-R with the VHS quality transfer. They've also been dipping their toes into theatrical indies with last year's My Friend Dahmer and Marjorie Prime.

When your movie has a pumpkinheaded killer whose weapon of choice is a lawnmower taking out teenagers on the night of the Halloween Pumpkin Prom, you have all the ingredients to make the greatest horror movie ever! Unfortunately, the movie doesn't take advantage of these elements. You get a tease of that in the opening, then the slasher stuff doesn't come back until about an hour later in time for the finale. Very disappointing.

It was occasionally charming though. The highlight is Scott McGinnis as Norman Bates, a red-herring due to the lawnmower noises he makes when he gets excited. The cast in this is pretty amazing! Joe Don Baker, George Kennedy, Stella Stevens, Julia Duffy, Elizabeth Daily, Andrew Dice Clay, etc.

[​IMG]

I'm glad to have finally seen Wacko, but Pandemonium is way more fun. It's kind of amazing some of the random obscure old horror titles that pop up on Amazon Prime. Blood Salvage, Shallow Grave (87), Murder In Law, The Last Shark, Claws, Creature From Black Lake, etc.