Walking Dead TV Series

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Actually, Capt Hook does have a point about the season 2 cliffhanger, with the shot of the prison and the introduction of Michonne. I do think they were nods to the comic fans, who'd been impatiently waiting for both plotlines. I can't "unread" the comic and be able to assess if I would have had the same response as a non-reader of the comic did.

But really, the references to the comic are actually few and far between. You don't need to have read it in order to know what's happening. I think those above mentioned scenes were actually a way of luring back the fans of the comic, as it had almost completely detoured from the source material after the pilot episode. It's a good example, but also probably the only example of a scene where one should have read the comic first.

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Personally, having not seen the comics, I guessed it to be a prison and was excited for the next season to start. I thought it was a cool cliffhanger. But that's just me, I like it when things are unexplained.

3. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

If you feel THAT left out that you find it is a hindrance to your enjoyment of the show, why not just pick up one of the compendiums and read it? Even though the two are completely different entities, if you are that inclined to mention that you don't know what this place is or who this person is...just read the comic. I mean its a great fucking comic for crying out loud. Why not read it?

4. Workshed

Workshed A Barge Person

I think it's been a pretty great season so far. I'm not sure where else you find horror gore like this on television.

5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

The show feels a bit bloated. Here are a few highlights of season 4:
    - "Hey you're that Daryl guy who caught a deer! Can I shake your hand?" :eek2:
    - Rick dinks off with an Irish woman for no reason.
    - Rick and Daryl nod at each other for the umpteenth time.
    - Glen has become annoying and useless. He loves his girlfriend. We get it.
    - Apparently teaching kids about survival during the zombie apocalypse is a sticking point?
    - Mishone twisted her ankle.
    - It's wrong to eat pigs.

Yeah, I'm annoyed with the show. Season 2 started with the group getting their shit ruined on the highway. Season 3 started out with not only zombies in the prison but unruly prisoners too! Season 4 starts off with people dying of the flu?

All that said, I'll still watch the show even when it gets to the point where it's all about the group having to wait for a table at a chinese restaurant. :eek: Looks like next episode ups the anti.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

LOVED last season, but yeah, color me unimpressed so far with the start of this season. Fences falling and rats getting fed to Walkers, oh my! :)

7. 7dizbust

7dizbust Member

Wow, tough crowd.

8. Mr. Eddy

Mr. Eddy Member

So far I can't get into it. Boring!!!!!

9. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Makes any meat boneless!

Really? Are you that quick to forget the "rain of zombies at the Walmart"?

Sure there are many things to nag about, but to say nothing has happened this season while ignoring that spectacular spectacle is the sign of someone who wouldn't be satisfied by anything.

10. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Really want to love this show but it's tough. Lately I've been watching it with my wife and providing my own Rifftrax-like commentary to keep us both entertained.

11. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Put the gun down, I'm still watching the show and I like those parts. It's more about moving things along. I'm cool with stopping to take things in, but this season started off by stopping to take things in. Countless one-on-one conversations that aren't all that compelling or necessary.

But it looks like shit may be getting interesting, finally, after last night's episode. (I still feel like they're still dragging their feet though. Why not start things off with Rick inspecting the burned bodies and have a quick flash back to the tussle with Tyrese? Boom, we're all caught up.)

Any ways, the real show occurred on The Talking Dead where Marilyn Manson made an appearance and agitated the fuck out of the host. I think Marilyn was on something because he would hijack the conversation and go off on his own tangent. Uncomfortable and yet entertaining to watch. He made one real great point though. Or at least tried to in light of Carol's development. He said that when Rick took off the police hat, that is when characters started becoming their own authority. Maybe that was obvious to everyone else, but I missed it. I'd have to re-watch those episodes to see how things unfolded in season 2.

12. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    He had little bits of wisdom accompanied by the rantings of a blithering idiot. What a fucking douchebag! I never liked Manson!

13. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

Manson was obviously lit...shame too because I was actually looking forward to him being on the show. Not because I'm necessarily a fan of the guy but because he is usually well spoken with a higher level intelligence. I thought it would be refreshing for the show. Not that night...Jack Osbourne had a higher maturity level than Manson.

It was fun watching Hardwick's patience completely fade as the show went on...he went from jovial joking around to just cracking jokes at Manson's expense. Goddamn...no idea why this show exists.

I felt bad for Gale Anne Hurd though...she is more legendary than all three of those dickholes combined.

As for the episode itself...it was OK. I don't know, they need a goal or long term objective to string the episodes together. It seems like every episode this season has been formulaiclly the same. Basically everybody is just jerking each other off in the prison until someone does something stupid to rile up some zombies. Yeah, the zombie action is great, but they need another threat....the Governor needs to come back, someone needs to get lost, it needs to snow...something.

14. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

Manson was the most entertaining Talking Dead guest yet!

Even better than the night's actual WD episode.

15. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

It hit me while watching this the other night that I was actually watching a show about people fighting a cold. Are they kidding me with this shit? :eek2:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  16. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

When was the last time that you had a cold that caused you to vomit blood? :eek2:

There is the common cold and then there is influenza, which up until very recently killed millions of people without modern medicine. Get your head out of the sand.

17. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I like it far better than zombie apocalypse scenarios where all is well, and there's just a zombie horde outside. Meanwhile, we can relax in a mall and watch Animal House on the big screen TV we looted from Sears.

The loss of infrastructure puts people back in a world where simple things like contaminated water can cause death. And it's far more realistic. Did anyone see the reality show on Discovery this past summer called Naked and Afraid? They'd put two experienced outdoorsmen (well, and outdoorswomen) in a harsh world with absolutely nothing. In one episode someone drank water from a stream, and another stepped on a thorn. Both became life-threatening illnesses and the competitors had to be airlifted from the show!

Something like a deadly waterborne virus is probably far more realistic. And besides, what else would you have in a week-to-week zombie-themed TV show? A 42-minute battle between humans and zombies? Or another fight with a surviving band of people? This deadly flu bug, in a time where you can't just hop in your car and head down to Walgreens, is a good plotline.

18. Mikey Horror

Mikey Horror Active Member

It's a show about a zombie apocalypse and we're talking about realism.

19. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

So far I'm loving the season.

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Yes we are.