Walking Dead TV Series

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I wish they'd stop jerking us off and move things along already. The first three or four episodes could have been condensed into one.

2. 17thJuggalo

17thJuggalo Active Member

Selective realism may be a more accurate description. Sickness in their scenario would be very real and I think it's valid to explore it. At the same time, there's dozens of goofs and plot holes that have been outright ignored which flies in the face of realism. For example: why are they driving a 2013 Tuscon in 2010 that always manages to stay clean and undamaged, infinite ammo, showing a completely blown out wall in the prison and never make a reference to fixing it etc. etc.

3. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Good point.

4. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Here's something that always bothered me. Why didn't they just go and stay at Woodbury instead of the prison?

As far as the fences/gates issue it seemed like Woodbury was much more secure. Plus it had a better living environment. It looked like each person/family had their own living quarters that they could also use for additional protection.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

They have never given dates on the The Walking Dead, so while taking issue with the cleanliness of the vehicles is valid, complaining about model years isn't. For all we know The Walking Dead takes place in the future.

6. 17thJuggalo

The Governor and some of his goons are still alive so that might deter them. They never make reference if they are still in Woodbury though.

7. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Woodbury May have been defensible against zombies, but humans seemed to have a relatively easy time sneaking inside.

8. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I think it's just the general idea of a prison, something designed with security in mind. It was built to keep people in. A town is the opposite.

That said, they did make Woodbury seem kinda nice, with barbecues and stand-alone homes and all. My knowledge of the comics ends at Compendium 1, and they leave the prison at the end of that, so it's certainly not a permanent location in the source material. I'm guessing they move on eventually.

9. 17thJuggalo

That's true, at least for the show. Kirkman said the comics took place when they were released which was 2003 at the time and they went forward from there.

10. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

I really want to love this show, but its shortcomings are so glaring that I don't know where to start. It's biggest flaw is its inability to find the right balance between action and story telling. I know a lot of this has to do with the showrunner's position changing every season, which comes down to backroom politics of the television world, but after four seasons you would think they could finally get it right. Season one focused almost entirely on the action, which left the large cast of supporting characters to be neglected. Sure, it was only seven episodes, but when certain characters died, it was hard to feel any real sadness since we barely got a chance to know them. Season two suffered from the opposite, having too much character development and very little action. I swear, the whole middle of that season just drags because the characters keep going in circles arguing about the same problems. But, it does have some of the strongest moments in the series run (the barn sequence) and when members of the cast do die off, it is heartbreaking because we have an emotional attachment to them.
    Season three seemed like it was going be the big turn around for the show, with a good balance of action and story, but the last 4 or 5 episodes is where things slow down to a fault. There is SO much filler and almost no pay off when the season finally ends I really didn't want to bother with this one. I fear that the writers of this show will become just as complacent as the writers of Dexter by playing it safe (I worry that the current line up of main characters are going to be here for the long haul for no other reason than to not piss off the fan base by killing anyone off) and sticking too close to the zombie lore. I'll give it until the mid season finally to really "Wow" me, but I think I might have to sit this one out if it doesn't.

11. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    I agree with all of you about pacing. I really enjoy the show, but want it to move along quicker. They lost half their audience in season 2 because of that. Season 3 was amazing and now it looks like they are going back to the same old game. I'll watch, but I don't want it to just move along. The comic isn't really much better. I don't buy it monthly. I buy the trades which come out every 6 months, so talk about a long wait to see what is happening!!

12. 17thJuggalo

Honestly, I have had a hard time giving this show a chance since the beginning of season 2. Behind the scenes there were tons of stuff that went wrong: The loss of Frank Darabont, huge budget cuts (for even more episodes no less), new director changing the direction of the show, and re-shoots/last minute script changes. That really had a major effect on the quality of the show as Season 1 and 2 are night and day from one another.

The seasons following 1 just can't compare, and for good reason.

13. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Last night's episode was easily the best of s4. The balance of survival action and plot was exactly what I look forward to when I watch the show. There was an honest sense of danger where you weren't sure if any given character was vulnerable (save for Rick I would say.)

Speaking of Rick, I think he did the right thing. It's a tough call and depending on who was involved, I could have swung either way on that call. But I think all things considered, it was the right way to go.

On that note, if it were up to me, Tyrese and alcohol-man would have been hitting the heel-toe express to fuckoffityville given their actions of late.

14. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Totally agree with your spoiler.

15. Chomp

Chomp Rudest Motherfucker on HD

What's with all the horrible music being played in each episode?

16. allmessedup

allmessedup It's beer time.

Yeah, I hate that too. Guess they're trying to be like an FX show.

I've gotten back into the show this season, this seems to be one of the better seasons, but I'm not too happy about
    the Governor returning. Didn't care for that whole storyline, and it really seems a little early to be bringing him back.

17. Myron Breck

Myron Breck Boom Shanka

Yeah, I too think it's way too soon to go back to that. I knew it would resurface but I thought they'd wait a season. Bleh.

18. elDomenechHDG

elDomenechHDG Well-Known Member

Not only am I not happy to see the return of X character (sorry, can't find spoiler tags) but I'm sick (no pun intended) of the prison setting. Move on, please - there's a whole world out there. Also, I guess the writers came up with this sickness storyline as a way to get rid of the extraneous characters from last season's season ender - very clever. They finally realized that idea was a mistake. So far, I'm enjoying this season overall.

19. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Last night's episode started out by lulling you into a state of hopeless tension only to finally burst once shit hit the fan.

Hopefully that's it for The Coughing Dead now though. I'm kind of glad they're getting to the Governor sooner than later. Merl was that character you don't expect to come back and they did that already. Governor, you know is coming back, so let's get to the fuckening already! By the way, anyone else think the had they put up sheets along the inner fence to prevent the zombies from seeing them, they wouldn't have the problems with the outer fence?

20. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Never thought of that idea about sheets. Sounds like an excellent idea. Seems like it would keep the zombies from getting riled up at the very least. Maybe even keep them moving to another location too. The walls kept them away at Woodbury why not the prison.

Plus, I would be working on a attachment that they could add to a car or truck. Like a side blade or bar of some sort that could be used to mow down groups of zombies without having to run into them head on.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013