Walking Dead TV Series

Discussion in 'General' started by Mok, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Hatchetwarrior

Hatchetwarrior Well-Known Member

Ok, I caved and watched the premiere on Sunday. I wasn't happy with how they ended season six, even though I understand from a business standpoint why AMC ended it on a cliff hanger, but I was interested in where this was going and if it would live up to all the hype. After watching and I am pleased with the outcome and I am glad they had the balls to do what they did by
    Killing off two major characters.
    This was a huge bang to start off the season and there is a lot of potential for this to be the biggest and best season of the series. The stakes here are just as high as they were in the comics and I think Jeffery Dean Morgan is the perfect Ying to Andrew Lincoln's Yang. Bring it on!

Mutilated Prey and Harry Warden like this.
  2. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, especially about Jeffery Dean Morgan. The way he and Andrew Lincoln play off of one another is tremendous. Morgan is quite good in the role of Negan.

3. Harry Warden

Workshed likes this.
  4. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

Harry Warden likes this.
  5. Harry Warden

You said a mouthful!! Even ten years ago, I would have never imagined that we'd be where we are in television, yet all some "horror" fans can do is complain. The heated reactions are hilarious to me. Whatever, this too shall pass. ;)

6. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Crazy spoiler on who dies in the next episode!
    The viewer from boredom :p

7. Workshed

NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!

8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

If you were sincerely listening to the complaints from horror fans, you would acknowledge that the criticisms regarding the Walking Dead has never been about the gore or violence, but about the hackneyed scriptwriting and its penchant for gimmickry, cheating the audience, and eyerolling melodrama between ultimately unlikeable characters. When it comes down to it, the only reason I like the current cast at all is because relative to the now deceased Lori, Andrea, Dale and Shane, they seem alright. I was just happy that they're dead. And despite the producers' insistence on "keeping it realistic" they really don't do a good job at it. Plot points continually feel forced into being simply to fill air time, and the ones that are actually good (like the Wolves which deserved a full season) become wasted.

So yeah, maybe a lot of us expect a little more out our horror than extreme gore and violence. Sue us.

baggio and Mok like this.
  9. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Walking Dead is the only show you can follow by glancing at internet headlines.

Angelman and baggio like this.
  10. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

And with only a short paragraph synopsis to work with, I am nearly positive that how I envision it taking place in my imagination is at least ten times better than how they actually shot it with all the needless filler they're bound to have for a 60 minute (without ads) episode.

11. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

This is why I don't get into TV shows. It only makes sense........ how many seasons deep are they? How many episodes a season? Hour long, correct? Basic math tells you there's going to be massive amounts of filler and you can only create so many interesting story lines before things start falling into the soap opera category. Even if some of the earlier seasons contain badass zombie action, I honestly never could be bothered. Make a Walking Dead movie 90 minutes long and I'm game.

dave13 likes this.
  12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Don't deny yourself though. It's not that there can't be a solid horror experience in tv series form. AHS/Hannibal/Ash vs Evil Dead/Exorcist don't jerk the audience around and should definitely be given a fair chance.

13. Workshed

A coworker just told me she loves Hannibal. Do you recommend? I haven't seen anything beyond SotL and Red Dragon. Do I need to know more to 'get' it?

14. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

Highly recommend. :cool:

I'd be interested to see what you think without having seen Manhunter. Hannibal (TV) is primarily based on that film but addresses the other films in the series in its own way (arguably better).

Workshed likes this.
  15. Workshed

Thanks. I think I saw it on Prime or Netflix. Will check it out after Ash v ED S1. Two more eps to go.

Mok likes this.
  16. Natas

Natas ....on the warm side of the dooooooor

I know I know...... I've been told that many times. I think I'm going to buy the Ash-Evil Dead dvd and treat it like short movies, see if I dig. I just refuse to follow a story line, week after week on television. Can't do it. Won't do it. Stubborn?.......Extremely. lol

Mok likes this.
  17. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

All the ones I mentioned are binge worthy and yes, I agree most times it does disservice to have to wait.

18. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

"Negan’s primary goal was to establish dominance over the group and make Rick understand that he was no longer in control of anything, and by the time he nearly forced Rick to cut off his own son’s arm, that message was firmly beaten into our hero’s brain. The episode was all about the complete destruction of Rick and nearly every single character we’ve fallen in love with these past six years, both the ones who died and also the ones who survived, and the reason why so many viewers are so upset is, I assure you, because it was hard to watch the implosion of a family unit we hold so near and dear to our hearts. In other words, the only reason any of it was disturbing and upsetting is because of all the storytelling that came before it… YEARS worth of storytelling."

Actually the scene with the son was where he established dominance. Zero violence in that scene. More powerful than the other scenes imo. And for the record the Winnebago scene was stupid. Negan could have been taken out on like 4 occasions.

Should have went like this.... Drive back, door opens, Negan's head rolls out on to the ground. Rick walks out with the gun and Negan's buddies drop their guns and run like children. :cool:

Anthropophagus and Workshed like this.
  19. Workshed

I also questioned why Rick didn't strike Negan in the back when he hopped back in the RV. I suppose because then the season would be over.

Anthropophagus and baggio like this.
  20. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

I only watched the episode once so far, so I can't guarantee what was actually said. I seem to remember that after Rick's first grab of the ax, Neegan said next time he would not only kill Rick but everyone else as well. Maybe I'm misremembering though. If that was indeed what Neegan said though, I imagine Rick just thought is was still too much of a gamble.