Walking Dead TV show?

Discussion in 'Site Polls' started by Dave, Dec 12, 2015.

?

What do you think of the Walking Dead TV show?

Poll closed Dec 26, 2015.
  1. Love it!

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. Jumped the shark!

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. It's okay.

14 vote(s)
    34.1%
  4. It's okay; prefer the comics.

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Show sucks; comics only for me.

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Dave

Dave Pimp

Shares your thoughts on the TV show.

2. soxfan666

soxfan666 Well-Known Member

I can't really complain about a weekly offering of zombies. I would rather have it how it is than not have it at all.

3. KGBRadioMoskow

KGBRadioMoskow Well-Known Member

Its not "jumped the shark", its "crawled under the dumpster".

maybrick likes this.
  4. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Jumped the shark/crawled under the dumpster, and prefer the comics. The show has totally lost its balls.

5. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

I still haven't watched an episode beyond the first season. When Frank Darabont was jettisoned for trying to get the show a larger budget, I stopped watching AMC altogether. I don't watch the NFL anymore either, but neither are suffering from my absence.

6. Steel76

Steel76 Well-Known Member

I loved the first half of the first season, when they were still in the city.
    But as soon as they fled into the countryside, it felt like a different show, and became pretty boring.

7. Dave

Dave Pimp

I'm not digging the show too much these days. I watch it because my wife loves it. I voted 'It's okay.' Still read the comic but the sense of excitement I used to have between issues is long gone. Turns out a story of the zombie apocalypse that never ends can in fact get boring. I enjoyed Fear quite a bit and am hopeful for Season Two to continue that enjoyment. We'll see.

8. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

I honestly never cared for the show when I did attempt to get into it, and can't fathom its appeal beyond the solid effects. Too much talking about stupid shit, and I found much of it just plain boring.

9. maybrick

Darabont has plenty of loyalists, but I just never thought that he was right for the show. The second half of the second season when he was gone is when it finally turned the corner. It was a close call. I was literally only one show away from giving up on it when the girl walked out of the barn.

10. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the show. Part of it comes from knowing that main characters are going to be killed off. I haven't seen Fear the Walking Dead yet but I did buy season one.

11. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I like the show but was never crazy about it. I watched the full first season and enjoyed it enough - but not enough to watch all the episodes of the seasons since- I mainly just watch one here and there now- it just couldn't hold my interest

12. buck135

buck135 Kanamit

It was just the way AMC went about it that irked me. Darabont helped bring the show to them and look at the success they reaped because of it. Darabont's body of work as a writer and director has been very hit or miss.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  13. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I would go somewhere between "It's ok" and "love it" (but not "jumped the shark", even though physically it is indeed in between those two options). I enjoy it quite a bit, but I'd stop short of saying I love it. But since I think I'm more enthused than not (and "it's ok" sounds pretty meh), I went with the first selection.

14. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I voted "it's okay." I made it through the first season and saw the first couple episodes of season 2, but it never really did much for me. It quickly descended into nonstop petty arguing, and I didn't give a damn about any of the characters. TV shows don't work without memorable characters, and this ensemble always felt more like a band of sketchily drawn "types" than interesting people. I gave up after the episode where two women were bickering over a gun. It reminded me too much of the scene in Monster House where Jenny grabs the big squirt gun that Chowder wants.

I get enough of people bitching nonstop at work. No need to carry that over into my leisure time.

I'd also argue that Romero covered all of this ground in his first 3 Dead movies--a lot more gracefully in general. Day isn't nearly as effective as Night or Dawn, largely because of the drop-off in character and dialogue quality. The Walking Dead always felt more like the most over-the-top character moments in Day to me.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  15. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

I still really enjoy the show. I still watch it faithfully and I really enjoy the characters, with the exception of Morgan who they could kill off anytime. He is just fucking annoying. I know a lot of viewers were turned off by Glenn and his supposed death, but I never believed it for one minute, so to discover he survived doesn't surprise or offend me. I don't think that was the "jumping the shark" moment for the series. I appreciate all of the hard effort put into the show and I've been very satisfied with the special effects, the acting and the writing. I'll be in it for the long haul.

16. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

My issue with the show isn't necessary the petty arguments and soap opera-y aspects. It's the constant dialogues that consist of: "We need to do this together. All we have is each other. We're strong together." It's like they hired every Japanese RPG writer of the last 15 years. I'm also over the constant maudlin tone. When there's no contrast, the emotional moments lose their efficacy. Yes, this is a show about walking corpses, but it's unrealistic for characters not to seek out levity in their lives. Show us the characters happy and hopeful before killing them off. Not dour and depressed, when we're glad they're told to FO.

17. maybrick

I didn't watch the premiere, and to show you how done I am with the show I have already unashamedly read the spoilers. The show jumped the shark with the dumpster and the finale clinched it for me to the point that I don't even care who Negan killed. That
    both Abraham and FINALLY! Glen
    died is too little too late for me. Gimble turned this series into a series of gimmicks and teases. The gore is good but seriously, CW shows have better actual story arcs than this shit. And I wouldn't have thought it to be the case, but my distaste of the tv show has soured my liking of the comic series as well. The idea of a Romero movie never ending had it's charm at first, but everything needs to end at some point, and all I am seeing now with both the show and the comic is diminishing returns.

I'll probably watch it at some point when it reaches Netflix, but it is no longer a viewing priority for me. There is way too many better shows on right now to fill my time.

ImmortalSlasher likes this.
  18. Harry Warden

I'm still watching and I still like the show very much. Last night's premier was brutal. We are going to see the introduction of new characters and Negan is one terrific badass. I for one am looking forward to a rough and tumble season 7.

19. maybrick

Brutality is a good thing to have in your repertoire when you need to mask shit storytelling, and the introduction of new characters ceases to be appealing when you have already figured out that 90% of them have been written in to be red shirts that will only be interesting and likeable for the five minutes before they are killed off. My prediction is that this season will be like the rest: the good episodes will be the beginning and end, as well as the mid season finale. All of the important people will die in those episodes and the rest will be padding with people doing stupid things for no other reason than to be annoying and get eaten.

Anthropophagus likes this.
  20. Harry Warden

As you stated in your previous post ..it's no longer a viewing priority for you. For me, it is, and will be until the show ends completely.