Walmart's Brilliant Horror idea

Discussion in 'General' started by Natas, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Has anyone else stumbled across this display at their local Wal Mart? I'm overdue for a Halloween (Carpenter's) upgrade. I watch the VHS every year on Oct 31st but I figured a regular copy of the dvd was necessary. So this caught my eye for a second last night, then I start looking at them...... well first off, it's actually Halloween 2 but it's just the generic dvd that you'll find in any 2.99-5.00 clearance bin with a new "glow in the dark" slip cover. Kinda brilliant from a marketing perspective....I guess...... but I couldn't decide. Is this kinda cool? Or kinda fucking retarded? What you think? My Wal Mart had all these titles, and I think they were all 5 bucks.

[​IMG]

DVD-fanatic-9 and Anthropophagus like this.
  2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Considering how ga-ga some people are over collectible slip covers, it's a great idea on their part. It's nice that they are priced so cheaply, too. Maybe some youngsters will be more apt to give an "old" movie a chance? I guess Wal-Mart shoppers are still into DVD?

3. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I'M still into dvd. Never jumped on the blu ray bandwagon. I think I'll pick up Halloween 2. That's another one I only own on VHS.

4. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Dude, just make the switch. Blus are cheap and the improvement in picture and audio quality are often substantial.

rxfiend, Steel76, othervoice1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

You know why its a great idea? Preservation. If it gets young'uns interested in horror to pick up Creature From the Black Lagoon and give it a try, then it's totally worth while. That's what's great about horror, you don't see this kind of treatment for any other genre.

6. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

True, and yesterday's release of Salem's Lot proves that. Many times, at least for new releases, DVDs are the exact same transfer as the blu ray only compressed so you can get away with sticking to DVD. But more and more classics are getting new editions with breathtaking transfers that are only available on blu ray. At this point there is really no good reason not to make the transition if you aren't completely broke. And if you are then you shouldn't be collecting DVDs either.

As far as the Walmart dvds go, they look cool so I guess it couldn't hurt any.

7. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Nah, I don't think it'll ever happen. I almost made a switch a few years back but I really don't get much enjoyment out of a clearer picture. Especially with older horror movies. I really do enjoy grainy VHS-esk quality, as weird as that may sound. Some special edition blus that get released make me want to switch but I just don't see it happening. I'm not that rampant a collector anymore. I buy a handful of dvds a year now, mostly around October. I dig my dvd and vhs collection. Got a sweet display set up for them all, too.

DVD-fanatic-9 and Anthropophagus like this.
  8. Harry Warden

Harry Warden Well-Known Member

This might sound nuts but I switched to blu - love it and I keep the dvd versions as well.

Shannafey likes this.
  9. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

I think the display at Walmart is kinda cool - I like the glow in the dark slipcovers

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  10. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I'm 100% Blu. DVD only? No sale.

11. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

I thought so too when I walked passed it. LOVE the fact Halloween decorations/costumes are up in the stores. Favorite time of year.

The Joker and Anthropophagus like this.
  12. Mok

Mok Family is Forever

I get what you mean. I never went back through my collection to upgrade anything, but I do get blu rays now when they're priced similar to the dads of movies I've yet to own. Not a switch so much as a progression.

13. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

I can relate, I initially vehemently opposed upgrading from VHS to DVD myself, if you can believe that.
    I have a Blu-Ray player now, but my collection of that format is relatively small. I've only ever double dipped on 'John Carpenter's The Fog'. New releases, the few I do buy, are mostly Blu-Ray though.
    Respect. Do what works for you.
    I'm kind of suspicious of technology myself and the huge amount of money it saps from my pockets.

14. Anthropophagus

Anthropophagus Well-Known Member

On a sad note, my local Wal-Mart has nothing Halloween related on display yet.
    Kind of odd.

15. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much the same. No more double dipping for me (except for a handful of time honored faves) or blind buys. Blu ray is the end of the road for me. I realize that somewhere in the future the time may come where 4K sets and players are the only option available, and at that point I will have to concede. But I will never willingly own a screen size large enough for that resolution will become relevant or desireable.

Shannafey and Anthropophagus like this.
  16. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

It seems like half the time when I buy a catalog (not brand new) title, the blus are cheaper than the dvds now!
    I get the appeal of the old VHS look for some titles, but many/most others greatly benefit from being in HD. For examples, Galaxy of Terror and Curtains. I can finally see what it happening now, esp Curtains, that dvd was just a black glob of a mess, the BD is fucking beautiful! Galaxy was almost as bad on dvd (the Italian 16X9 one was watchable, but you cansee so much more worm rape on the blu!)

17. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Same here. Of course, I think my excuse had something to do with being too old to start- blah blah blah. I was 17 at the time. And if you were used to VHS, DVD was badly shaped. Everyone who broke for it probably wanted the cases to be the same as CD's. I have no idea why a person would think that but a few people did. (It would have saved space, I suppose.)

The only reason I think I did upgrade was that I hadn't really started a VHS collection of my own in my teens. I was a sophomore in high school and the major stores (except rental places) were starting to favor stocking DVD over VHS. Also, by about 2003, it was finally starting to get to the point where it seemed every major movie was finally on DVD. I actually used to surf Amazon and Allmovie.com just to check that every movie I could think of had been released (yet).

By 2004 and 2005, the last few movies I thought would never make it to DVD were on DVD: The Worst Witch, Wynorski's Hard to Die, and those Troma triple feature sets of Evil Clutch and Dead Dudes in the House. And that was 8 years into DVD. 10 years into Blu, it would seem the companies who have truly dedicated themselves to the format are often busy re-doing previously released titles. Meanwhile, I'm left thinking: if you're not going to commit to getting TV shows on Blu, you're never going to get me fully on-board with Blu. I'm serious- forget films. I'd rather marvel at seeing every nook and cranny of every frame for shows where the historical value of the trends on the show is more obscure- stuff like The Jeffersons or Maude or TV movies like The Green Man or The Worst Witch. 80's music videos. Bob Ross's painting show. Red Green. The Ernest series'. Mr. Boogedy. And sequel. The California Raisins. John Denver Christmas Specials. Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre / Tall Tales & Legends, The Muppet Show. Pee-wee's Playhouse. Stuff like that. Kitsch! You know what I mean.

(I'm not kidding, by the way.)

18. sade

sade Active Member

Walmart's Brilliant Horror idea
    ... more like opening more stores in your area.

19. Natas

Natas Is it October yet?

Mr sunshine on my god damn shoulders, John Denver!!!!!

DVD-fanatic-9 likes this.
  20. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ah fuck, glow-in-the-dark is something of an Achilles's heel of mine. I even bought some glow-in-the-dark tubs of slime a few years ago just 'cause.

Looks like on the left and right those are Blu-ray; they're shorter with a color bar on top compared to their mates in the middle. But if I'm going to buy these purely for the covers I may go DVD simply 'cause they're bigger. But I kinda like the bar on top too... Otherwise it's too much black. Fuck, I'm lucky I don't shop Wal-Mart I might crack if I did. And I'd talk myself into getting both versions!

Harry Warden likes this.