War coming to an end finally?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by KR~!, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Damed

Damed Guest

Oh, and:

2. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

3. Damed

Damed Guest

That I agree 100% with.

4. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Wow some very interesting info on the CES

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Well Warner screwed the pooch yet again on another BD release, the 5th disk of the Blade Runner set on many copies does not have the Workprint but is instead a duplicate of the Final Cut disk.

Harry Potter was kinda funny, but this is getting just plain stupid on Warner's part. With all the attention on them and these multiple gaffs they have to be feeling really stupid right now. It's possible this is a BD manufacturing mistake, but after the Harry Potter problem, which was clearly Warner's fault, I'm figuring it was on Warner's end.

I haven't even got my August pre-order from Warner direct of A Clockwork Orange or 2001: A Space Odyssey yet! Bastards.

On a related note, I got to hook my PS3 up to a 16 foot screen and let me tell you, it was gorgeous. We watched scenes from A Christmas Story, PotC: DMC and The Fountain. Christmas Story looked great, reviews say it lacks details but at that scale you can see it's all there. PotC was of course amazing. In the wideshots of the sea the horizon was a perfect line. The Fountain I only briefly watched but was less impressed somewhat. The space scenes were OK and the modern time stuff was unremarkable. None of the Aztec scenes were at chapter stops so I didn't see them.

Thursday we'll be watching Christmas Story in full. Should be great.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

7. rp108

rp108 Guest

If you go by the BDA, the format war has been over about 10 times now proclaiming Blu-ray the winner. Yet, HD DVD is still here gaining studio support (while Blu-ray is losing support), more stand alone players being sold, and a growing library of movies.

I would take what the BDA procalims with a grain of salt.

8. Rockmjd

Rockmjd Guest

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/produc...s-blu-ray_N.htm

Has the fat lady sung?

9. SaviniFan

SaviniFan I Have A Fetish

Well after that announcement it looks quite bleak for HD-DVD. Too bad as it is a good format and one that I opted for since the entry price was reasonable. I still intend to buy desirable titles in the format for as long as they make them. Once Blu-ray player prices drop then I will go that route as well.

10. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Here's the official press release: http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1700383,00.html

I'm surprised by this, I figured Warner would stay neutral and Universal would go neutral. Now Universal certainly will, if they're contractually able to. The reason I'm surprised is because it is exactly what Warner says it is, they've personally decided to end the format war. It takes guts to do that. Warner's got almost as much balls as Sony.

This isn't quite a death nail though. HD-DVD has until May to really do something to prove they're for real. Warner's been carrying HD-DVD, plain and simple. What could Toshiba possibly do? There's probably something, but I couldn't dream it up.

11. JW77

JW77 Support Halliburton

Hooray for over-priced players and software!

12. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

This'll probably be the end to deals on the Blu-Ray side. I'll miss those weekly B1G1 sales.

On the plus side, HD-DVDs will probably get cheaper as stores start to burn off inventory and owners sell their collections.

13. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

I just got my Blu-Ray player a week ago...so I guess I did not make a bad decision

14. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

Well, I started this thread and all signs pointed to this, so finally it is official. Now how much more time is left in those HD-DVD contracts that Microsoft paid so much money for? Expect another big announcement soon thereafter!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  15. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

The Paramount/Dreamworks contract was reportedly for 18 months. So there's a least another year left.

16. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

17. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

Hopefully there is a clause in the contact that covers this kind of situation.

I just wish I had quit buying HD DVDs sooner.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

As smart as businesses are today I'm sure there is. There may be an opt out option after a certain period of time, I hope for Paramount's sake 3-6 months. Hell Toshiba may even want the money back if they themselves see no future in HD-DVD at this point.

The psychological impact is huge, half if not more of the Christmas shoppers are going to be doing returns I'm sure. There's no comparison to Paramount/Dreamworks, this signals the end of HD-DVD to probably 90% or more of the HDM market. Ebay's already probably being flooded.

It'll be interesting to see what HD-DVD has to say at CES. It'll be somber I'm sure. How can you convince the public to buy a player just for Paramount and Universal movies?

19. Damed

Damed Guest

20. Hellbilly

Hellbilly Active Member

Like so many, I was on the fence: Blue-ray or HD?
    My choice shall be Blue now. Aiming to get things started by summer.