War coming to an end finally?

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by KR~!, Nov 29, 2007.

1. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Wow this is huge- I dont know if HD-DVD can recover from this one......

2. zombi3

zombi3 Pure Evil

Let's hope we have 2.0 compliant players by this summer then, or you'll be missing out on all that "next generation interactivity" promised in those Blu-ray ads.

3. Noto

Noto Guest

4. Sam

Sam Member

The loss of Warner, New Line, and HBO in 24 hours... WOW. Looks like a checkmate to me. I've always been rooting for the underdog, but HD really has little chance of surviving that atomic 'Blu' bomb.

5. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Well, I went Blu over christmas, despite the sales figures in Europe claiming HD is winning. I hated to do it with region coding, but the worst-case scenario is I'll just have to have two players.

6. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

7. VenicuS

VenicuS Guest

Looks like the HD-DVD camp won't be saying anything at CES. That certainly doesn't bode well for them. Ah well, my HD A2 still works, I can still watch the HD discs I have now, and I'll start saving my pennies for a PS3, I suppose. I've been wanting to play "Heavenly Sword" anyways.

8. Regurgitate

Regurgitate New Member

So maybe Synapse Films will switch to Blu Ray from HD DVD now? :rolleyes:

9. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

They canceled the Sunday press conference, but as far as I'm aware they haven't pulled out of CES yet. "We are currently discussing the potential impact of this announcement with the other HD DVD partner companies and evaluating next steps." In other words, they're frantically asking Microsoft to save their asses.

Microsoft on the other hand probably likes what they're hearing from fanboys like this one on AVSForum, "Even though I am in the HD-DVD camp, I still watched PotC: At World's End in beautiful HD in my HT. How? HD OnDemand at a cost of $3.99. I will just drop support for HDM completely and go the all digital route. Eventually I would get a VuDu or something like it."

While I think digital downloads is the eventual future, at this point in time it isn't as good as HD discs. I know this because I have HD OnDemand too. There's no comparison, HD discs are much higher quality. Plus OnDemand doesn't have interactive features even comparable to what SD DVD can do yet.

I'm confident Blu-ray will be viable for quite awhile.

10. Jeremy

Jeremy Closet SCREAM fan

Huh? Synapse hasn't released anything on either of the hi-def formats.

11. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

I agree that Blu-Ray will be around for a while. But I don't think it'll ever become mainstream. It'll enjoy a healthy life as a niche format for HD enthusiasts. Much bigger than laserdiscs, but never approaching the levels of standard DVD.

And for the record, I felt the same about HD-DVD. I never believed that ending the format war would result in mass acceptance.

12. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

maybe or maybe millions of people were doing the same thing as most people here waiting for a clear winner before upgrading.

13. I can't speak for most people, but the $1000 necessary just to replace my current setup (that more than satisfies my needs) with a low-end HD setup, plus the $30 a movie to refill my library, is what's keeping me back. I would guess, though, that most consumers feel the same way.

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I work at an electronics retailer and from what I've seen most of the general public is ready to embrace one of the HD formats, most either going Blu-ray or waiting for a clear winner. I don't think it'll be a niche market; there just needs to be a clear winner before the public drops the money.

Also I think we're looking at it as "I need to buy a $1500 HDTV to watch my favorite flicks in HD." I think most of the general public getting involved in the HD game are seeing it more as "Okay, I just bought this $1500 TV set, why don't I just spend another $300 for a blu-ray player and start buying flicks on that." From what I've noticed, the masses are jumping head first into buying HD sets, a lot of them because of their mistaken belief that in February 2009, high definition will take over, not the truth that they're just ceasing all analog signals.

15. rp108

rp108 Guest

For me, business as usual. I will keep buying DVD and HD DVD. I bought a Blu-ray player in July and it was HORRIBLE. I don't think Blu-ray is anywhere near prime time (not enough pressing plants, profile issues, prices too high, etc). HD DVD had the biggest chance of gaining mass acceptance but will most likley fade away now.

Upscaling DVDs is good enough for most people and I find myself buying more DVD than HD DVD because of the upscaling capabilities in my XA2. Don't get me wrong, HD is nice, but upscaled is so close it's hard to justify the price difference.

If the Blu-ray camp wants to take over DVD, it needs to drop prices fast, get their profile issues fixed, and start phasing out DVD, meaning only release new titles on BR. None of these are going to happen soon even with the Warner Bros announcement.

16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

What exactly was horrible about Blu-ray? For all intent and purpose it's pretty much like HD-DVD. Profile issues have been resolved since November and most hardware is well less than $500. Realistically if you've bought into HD then Blu-ray shouldn't be out of your price range.

And DVD won't be dropped until Blu-ray has been as well established as DVD was when VHS was phased out. They're not going to put the cart in front of the horse.

I suspect over the next few years they'll be dropping extras and special editions from DVD releases. Before the format war Sony was already reissuing DVDs w/o widescreen versions. I'm sure Sony will switch focus back to beating SD DVD in June.

17. Sam

Sam Member

I find the formats pretty equal at this point in PQ/AQ. My preference for HD DVD is or was more of a sentimental one of it being the first hi-def format I supported more than anything, along with 'rooting for the underdog'. I really hope care taken into the discs doesn't slide now that one side may have a lock on the war and a more secure future.

18. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I probably am not going to jump in anytime soon, although it is nice to have a winner for when the time comes.

I don't care what anybody says, there is a difference, but it's not huge like DVD was to VHS unless you have a big enough HD TV. I still see a lot of HD movies coming out without all the DVD extras, extended/ director's cuts, and cool packaging, even though they are twice the money. Like DVDs when they were first released, I'm sure a lot of these HD movies will be replaced down the road with bigger better editions.

I'll hold out until they release the Star Wars and LOTR trilogies. And do them right, as in all the extras from the DVDs and more. Not just movie only editions like they did with the Spider-Man and Die Hard films. It really makes no sense why they are doing that, as they already have all the extras together, how long could it take to convert them. It's not like VHS to DVD where they had to find all the extra footage, or go tape new interviews.

Anyways, glad there's a winner but not jumping on until there is some must have, done right films.

19. dwatts

dwatts New Member

The one problem is strict region coding - and there's not a single Blu-Ray player that is region free for SD either. Which is bad.

Current Blu-Ray discs are strange beasts. Hostel, for example, has no extras here - not a single one! Spiderman 3 is a two disc set.... why two discs? Doesn't Blu-Ray hold a lot more data? Weird.

20. Right, that was another reason I was cheering for HD-DVD--region free, and less restrictive DRM (from what I understand). I don't know if it was an intentional move on Toshiba's part, but HD-DVD seems more consumer friendly. A win for Blu-Ray is a big win for the studios at the expense of consumers, and I don't like that. Come to think of it, no wonder so many studios are backing Blu-Ray--it's the format that allows them the most control to restrict the distribution of their films according to their whims.