Warcraft (2016) Review

Discussion in 'Reader Reviews' started by thing, Jun 15, 2016.

1. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Warcraft (2016)

Directed by Duncan Jones

This film based on the incredibly popular fantasy game of the same name is directed by the respected young director Duncan Jones (Moon), who is a long time fan of the Warcraft world. Such a huge budget epic is a new task for the director and whilst the trailers looked godawful the end results were much better but still with some problems.

The story pits Orcs who have come from another world through a magic gate against humans but keeps things interesting with honour, heroes and villains on both sides. The effects are quite good although still with some bad hiccups but far more consistent and better designed than that of its closest comparative films The Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit. The dialogue in the film is really good and quickly creates some engaging characters all around. Where the problems lie are in structure and storytelling which often leads to confusion. The films narrative feels very rushed and I will be interested to see if the already reported directors cut which is apparently much longer will fix some of these issues.

In the end it is neither the disaster it could have been or a homerun but it has certainly set up an interesting world to spend time in, some fun characters and potential to improve in subsequent chapters. It will not be seen by as many people but it is certainly a better and more entertaining film than anything Peter Jackson came up with in the fantasy realm.

5.5-6/10

2. thing

thing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    babe orc

othervoice1 likes this.
  3. MisterTwister

MisterTwister The Schlock King

I only knew one person who was interested in seeing it. Everyone else gave me a "eh" when I brought it up.

I never played the game but I am mildly interested in watching it. But not in theaters.

4. russweiss

russweiss Well-Known Member

I saw this and enjoyed it. Yes it could have been better but I thought the CGI was really well done. If there is a longer cut I would buy that. If not I would probably pass on the home video front.

5. thing

thing Well-Known Member

From what I have read, the longer cut is at least 45 mins longer.. maybe an hour