Warner Archive goes Blu!!!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by Nailwraps, Nov 15, 2012.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

About fucking time. Disappointing that it's getting dumped into an archive release but maybe that's the only way restoration teams can work without executive thinking interfering. 1.66:1 is a good sign too. WB was operating under the delusion that this ratio didn't exist. It took Criterion to get Kubrick's Barry Lyndon in 1.66:1 for fuck's sake!

As for the color WAC commented about it on Facebook:
    Sounds good! And already up for pre-order: https://www.wbshop.com/products/horror-of-dracula-bd

I've been waiting a LONG time for this release. I didn't get the UK releases and I didn't even get the German Anois release. Yet I'm still going to hold out. I'm curious what the ripple effect of this release will be in Europe.

And I bet Frankenstein's close behind!

zbinks likes this.
  2. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

I know some of you here aren't animation enthusiasts, but for those who are (like me), you're not going to believe what Warner just announced!:

"POPEYE THE SAILOR: The 1940s, VOLUME ONE (1943-1945)
    NEW 2018 1080p HD MASTERS CREATED FROM 4K SCANS OF THE ORIGINAL NITRATE TECHNICOLOR NEGATIVES
    Run Time 99:...00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio 4 X 3 FULL FRAME, ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.37:1
    Product Color COLOR
    Disc Configuration BD 50

Lost at sea for decades – this set collects the first two Technicolor® seasons of Popeye’s animated theatrical shorts (1943-44 and 1944-45), making them available for the first time ever on home video: complete, intact and outrageously funny. What else would you expect from a two-fisted, spinach-munching sailor man?

The 1940s brought new sights and sounds to America’s favorite cartoon star. Regulars Olive Oyl and Bluto return, while Popeye resumes his riotous relationship with his shipmate Shorty and his naughty nephews Pipeye, Poopeye, Peepeye and Pupeye. With the addition of full color, cartoonists were now free to let loose with journeys to exotic lands and give Popeye a fresh stock of new friends and foes.

But it’s the eternal love triangle, Popeye and Bluto competing for the attention of Olive, that drives the majority of these zany situations – as well as the hilarious action-packed gags. Whether our heroes are posing as circus acrobats or puppeteers or even taking turns at being Superman, these gems from the Golden Age of Hollywood will blow you down with laughter.

Collection includes Her Honor, The Mare; The Marry-Go-Round; We're On Our Way To Rio; The Anvil Chorus Girl; Spinach Packin' Popeye; Puppet Love; Pitchin' Woo At The Zoo; Moving Aweigh; She-Sick Sailors; Pop-Pie A La Mode; Tops In The Big Top; Shape Ahoy; For Better Or Nurse; Mess Production. Popeye the Sailor: The 1940s
    Volume 1 is intended for the Adult Collector and May Not Be Suitable for Children. Also available on DVD!"

More info from Jerry Beck via this (wonderful) Cartoon Research article:

http://cartoonresearch.com/…/popeye-goes-to-the-movies-on-…/

"Presenting POPEYE THE SAILOR: The 1940s Vol. 1 (Warner Archive Collection) Street Date: 12/11/18.

Here we go again. To all of you who wish and hope the vaults of Warner Bros. could reopen to allow more of the classic cartoon treasures to emerge – Now is your time. Here’s what you can do to help (Take Two).

Last year I used whatever super powers I had to make a set of black and white Porky Pig cartoons available in an effort to convince to the studio there was an audience out there for such compilations. After several bumps in the road the set eventually broke even. But “brake even” isn’t good enough for a mega corporation. Long story short – we have one more shot. One. This is it. Perhaps a set of color cartoons, films the collectors do not have, or never had on home video (no VHS, no previous DVD or cable broadcast). A small set – 14 cartoons perhaps.

Here it is – a continuation of the Paramount Popeye cartoons. The next 14. No frills, no bonus materials, no audio commentaries. Transferred from the original Technicolor negatives. Jim Tyer animation. Politically incorrect shorts, uncut. The set will be available, separately, on both DVD and blu-ray.

The website to pre-order is supposedly going up today and we will update this post with the link when we get it. I highly recommend this set – I think you will be pleased. The frame grabs below were snapped off my living room flat screen by my iPhone, off the blu-ray. If this looks good to you – I ask that you pre-order, or order it in December. Let’s prove to Warner Bros. that we want further volumes of Popeye 1940s and 1950s – and we want more Warner and MGM cartoons restored and released. It’s seriously up to you."

So to you the cartoon/Popeye fans in this board, the fate of more classic cartoon releases from Warner lies solely on this release! So whether you want to pre-order it now on the WBShop or if you rather wait for it to pop up on Amazon, START BUYING IT! Get for yourself or for (someone you love for) the holiday season! DVD or Blu-ray, it doesn't matter which format, just so long as it SELLS, SELLS, SELLS! So don't wait! I already pre-ordered the DVD and planning to see the Blu-ray under my tree, I'm sure you will to.

UPDATE: Amazon listings are up!

DVD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLPTP4G/

Blu-ray: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KLPTWGC/

OR, if you prefer WBShop:

DVD: https://www.wbshop.com/collections/...ucts/popeye-the-sailor-the-1940s-volume-1-mod

Blu-ray: https://www.wbshop.com/collections/...ducts/popeye-the-sailor-the-1940s-volume-1-bd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    buck135 and Erick H. like this.
  3. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

4. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Where is the annual 4 for $44 sale? :(

zbinks and Horrorphilly like this.
  5. Horrorphilly

Horrorphilly Active Member

That's what I'm saying HAHA

6. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Ohgodno. I can't. I hope they wait until after the holidays.

7. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

If they started the sale now, none of the Dracula titles would be included. They almost always exclude the latest releases.

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Robert Harris posted A few words about...™ Dracula aka Horror of Dracula -- in Blu-ray
    Harris is usually very positive/studio minded in his reviews, so for him to say there's more that could be done is telling. From my understanding this transfer is from the best elements, but perhaps it isn't? I agree the original scan may be out of date by now but he's very specific about it being the elements...

It appears he also confirmed that the "tear drop" frames from the disintegration footage (that Anolis included) are absent:
    https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4679425/

If the transfer is not a decided improvement over the Lionsgate disc then I'm going to hunt down the Anolis Blu-ray. I was hoping Warner had something up their sleeve all these years but apparently that's not the case.

russweiss likes this.
  9. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I’m of the opinion that loss of shadow detail isn’t that important. Shadow should remain in shadow. Just because you can tweek the image to bring that stuff out doesn’t mean you should, or that it was intended to be there by the original cinematographer. For instance, in the new blu for Satanic Rites, you can pretty clearly see that it is Christopher Lee behind the desk at the end. The scene actually works better in the 25 year old $5 budget VHS that I have where you couldn’t make him out.

What I find most important is that heads aren’t chopped in half at the top of the screen that happened all too often in the original WB DVD.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

11. chancetx

chancetx Well-Known Member

12. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

It was included in the last sale, however, they didn't add it until the last day or so of the sale.

Hoping they do the same this time, as I'd love to get Bad Ronald, Looker, and Supergirl.

Still a great selection of titles to choose from. Everyone should buy 4 copies of Running On Empty, because it's a masterpiece.

chancetx and gobad2003 like this.
  13. chancetx

Good to know! I will keep checking the sale page. (I always mix up Running On Empty with Little Nikita. I guess because both feature troubled teen River Phoenix dealing with parents who aren't what they seem.)

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

15. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

FRANKENSTEIN 1970 (1958)
    NEW 2019 1080p HD MASTER
    Run Time 83:00
    Subtitles English SDH
    Sound Quality DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 - English
    Aspect Ratio 2.35:1, 16 X 9 LETTERBOX
    Product Color B&W
    Disc Configuration BD 25
    Special Feature: Commentary by Historians Charlotte Austin, Bob Burns, and Tom Weaver

Is there a doctor in the house? At the eerie House of Frankenstein, the answer is “yes” – and he’s out to make right the experiment in playing God that’s doomed his family for generations.

There’s also a Karloff in the house, a fact that makes 1958’s Frankenstein 1970 a must-see for savvy fright fans. Twenty-seven years after scaring the daylights out of everyone as the lumbering monster in Frankenstein, Boris Karloff is at the other end of the laboratory switches and gizmos. He’s Dr. Victor Frankenstein, an aging, hulking shambles of dignity and menace who agrees to let a TV crew shoot a horror flick at the family castle. The crew members don’t know it yet, but they’re just what the doctor ordered: fresh body parts, ready for harvesting!

[​IMG]

loutoad23, zbinks, russweiss and 2 others like this.
  16. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

"Special Feature: Commentary by Historians Charlotte Austin, Bob Burns, and Tom Weaver"

Charlotte Austin isn't a historian. She's an actress that was in the film. :rolleyes:

Anyways I just watched Frankenstein 1970 in October and it's a fun one as Karloff's given a lot of screen time with some juicy dialog. I'll snatch this up for sure.

17. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Imdb says she became an antique dealer. I guess to do a good job at that you must know a little something about history, I guess. Who knows, it’s possible that she has a Ph.D in the subject.

18. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Ha, yeah I thought of that just after I posted it. ;) She could now be a historian professionally but if Peter Weller, Ph.D, did a commentary track on a movie he was in would WB describe him as "Historian"? I think not. :cool:

19. chancetx

Katatonia, buck135, russweiss and 5 others like this.
  20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost