Warner Archives thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

OK, there have been a few discussions of the recent "made-to-order" DVDs on the Warner Archives website. We even have a review of one already. But let's make this thread the place to discuss the purchases and relative quality of the discs.

I'll go first. I got Urgh! A Music War last week, right before I took a mini vacation. I've only gone through it briefly. The good: MUCH better quality than any other version I've seen, and the sound is great too. The bad: call me crazy, but this looks like a 4:3 transfer masked to 1.85:1, and thus it looks a little cramped and cut-off at times.

Still, it's the best the movie has ever looked. Worth getting.

2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah, there are a few I've been meaning to get. Thousands Cheer with Gene Kelly, All Fall Down with Warren Beatty and Soldier in the Rain with Steve McQueen. Now that they're available through TCM.com, I can finally buy these (since Warner Home Video doesn't ship outside the US).

~Matt

3. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Doc Savage: The Man of Bronze looks pretty good. The 16x9 transfer is quite nice, albeit interlaced. Not perfect, but it's the best the movie has looked in years. The only extra is the film's original trailer.

That's the only one that I currently own, but I have Bad Ronald and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark on pre-order.

4. Darga

Darga Narcissistic Personality

Thanks for the feedback on Urgh!, Paff. I'd like to pick it up but I'm going to wait until there are 5 movies I want on the "5 for $49.95" list.

5. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Apparently the new She disc is really bad. It looks like they stretched a 1.85:1 master to be 2.35:1. Unfortunately I bought it before the reviews came in. :mad:

6. Darga

Yeah, this is the kind of stuff I was worried about. I'm not buying any of these discs until I get a quality report first.

7. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Next batch:
    Berlin Express (EST-MOD)
    City Beneath the Sea (EST-MOD)
    Dogville Shorts (EST-MOD)
    Earth II (EST-MOD)
    Genesis II (1973)(EST-MOD)
    Highway 301 (EST-MOD)
    I Died a Thousand Times (EST-MOD)
    Joe McDoakes (63 SHORTS)(EST-MOD)
    A Lady of Chance (1928)
    Killer McCoy (EST-MOD)
    Man From Atlantis (EST-MOD)
    Murder Is My Beat (1955)(EST-MOD)
    Pay Or Die (EST-MOD)
    Planet Earth (1974)(EST-MOD)
    Speedway (1929)
    Suspense (EST-MOD)

8. zompirejoe

zompirejoe Active Member

Bermuda Depths looks great, the best version I have ever seen of it. It's not the greatest movie but it brings back a lot of memories and is a lot of fun !

9. Katatonia

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark looks quite good for a 35+ year old TV movie, and the colors appear vivid. No extras, but the transfer is "progressive" flagged.

Bad Ronald doesn't look quite as good, with the colors appearing a little washed out. No extras, and the transfer is "interlaced" as Rhett mentioned in his review.

10. HellRazor

HellRazor New Member

So Bad Ronald looks... BAD? :eek:

11. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

Why can't I find the 5 flicks for $50 anymore? That ship sailed?

12. Katatonia

Well, the transfer's nothing to brag about. But considering it is a small TV film from 35 years ago, you really can't complain much. It still looks better than it has in years.

13. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

It was a pre-order thing. There's other disc sets, but the build your owns were pre-orders for the next wave.

I watched Captain Sinbad and it was a very good looking transfer. The only problem was there were two noticeable digital frame drops. Sometimes you see that on a streaming feed, but I don't know why these transfers would have it.

14. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

I want to get "From Hell it Came." The review on dvddrive-in.com sealed the deal for me, unfortunately $20 is a bit steep for a DVDR. Hopefully WB will have a sale sometime soon to lower the price.

15. Darga

I'm not going to get that technical, but the Razorback DVD isn't a winner. Lots of print damage and muted colors. If you're region free stick with the R4 disc which looks great and has the documentary as well.

16. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Damn, I wish I'd seen your post about a month ago, Darga. Could have saved $20. Actually, I was foolish and placed my order before reading the fine print. I didn't realize they were DVD-R's until I read the "Bad Ronald" review here. I just got so excited seeing some of those titles my 'add to cart' finger went into overdrive. Caveat emptor. :eek:

I'm actually just glad to be able to see some of these movies so I'm not as disappointed with slightly flawed prints. But for the prices they're charging I would have thought they would package them better for mailing. I ordered 5 titles and they came stuffed in an unpadded manila envelope which caused some pressure damage to the cases and artwork (dents and wrinkles.) The cases themselves look pretty second-hand - scuffed and dirty. I know I'm anal about packaging but at $15-$20 for a recorded disc they could at least make the presentation better.

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami

Love this film!! Couldn't believe it was available on the Warner Archives. I'm with you though! Not paying $20 for it. I have a VHS dub off a TV broadcast and it is fine for me. If they did an official release, I'd grab this one. I'd only buy it from the Warner Archives for around $10.

18. Katatonia

The Bermuda Depths DVD looks great. It appears as though a new transfer from struck from the original film negatives...which apparently were still in superb condition with little wear and tear. The detail is rich and the colors are vibrant. The transfer is Progressive (not Interlaced thankfully) encoded. The mono audio track is good and clear as well.

19. ekent

ekent The Lord's Arm of Justice

North California, South Alabam, and little towns a
    I just noticed the other day that they have Reckless available, the Aiden Quinn and Darryl Hannah 80's teen angst classic, in case anyone was on the lookout for that title. Great sleeper flick.

20. Katatonia