Warner Archives thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Aug 17, 2009.

1. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Overall I was very pleased with the picture quality on this...nice and sharp with good, rich colors. The print was pretty much pristine, and this visually felt like a new release.
    I am pretty happy with the Archive purchases that I made, and will probably pick up a few more in the future. My only complaint was the 'trailer' for Reckless which was simply a slightly abbreviated version of the opening three minutes of the film. It felt like it's presence might be OK on another release to promote this movie, but if the actual original trailer was not available why bother having this on the disc at all?

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

[​IMG]

Cool!

3. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I'm more excited that If Looks Could Kill is finally coming out than I am for the new cover art.

4. Dobby

Dobby Well-Known Member

That's all nice and dandy I guess. I was starting to love my navy blur covers. My collection had a pretty look from a view. Now they are going with these covers? OK fine however can they please start releasing more horror titles? All they keep releasing is movies with people dancing and singing. Where as they're horror selection is both lagging and shit. Come on already gimme Night School!

My thoughts exactly hot diggity, your off the chain!

5. Beastus

Beastus New Member

Finally some good cover art. The lack of real cover art, has been my biggest complaint with Warner Archives.

6. indiephantom

indiephantom Horny Spirit

In that case, I will hold out on buying So Fine until I can confirm I'm getting original poster artwork.

7. MrKateB

MrKateB Asshole Extraordinaire

Usually, there IS supposed to be sales tax added to any merchandise sales purchased by those living in states where this is a sales tax, not sure if there is anything done differently depending on whether the place they're purchasing it from also has sales tax or not.

I know that whenever I've travelled some place, when I've purchased things from certain places, the fact I live in a state without sales tax has meant I didn't have to pay sales tax on the item even though the state I was in at the time DID have a sales tax, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

8. Kolpitz

Kolpitz Purely and Simply Evil

I don't think they're converting the older releases to the new cover art scheme. I ordered both If Looks Could Kill (new March release) and Rage (2009 release), and If Looks Could Kill had the new cover art. Rage, however, still had the old design. The website still shows the older style for all titles released prior to March 2010.

9. Stige

Stige Active Member

just a question, bought "the deliberate stranger" on this. does anyone know if it is allowed to have on my dvd profiler? not really a bootleg pr say but still wasn't sure.....

10. Katatonia

Yes, any of the Warner Archive DVD-R titles are allowed on DVD Profiler.

11. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

The Fiendish Plot of Fu Manchu is coming out on May 18th, I've been interested in seeing that one. Don't think I want to blow Archive prices on it though.

12. sumo8675309

sumo8675309 Active Member

Pirates of Dark Water: The Complete Series (4 DVD Set) is on there now ...it's a bit pricey at $29.99 , ill wait untill they have another sell to pick it up

13. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

I have been waiting for this series to be released on DVD for a long time now. I used to have all the action figures and remember enjoying the cartoon quite a bit even though I doubt it will be very good now, but I would still pick this up if it wasn't part of Warner's Archive Series. They are way overpriced for DVD-R's, and I'm pretty sure they don't even ship to Canada. Lots of good stuff getting released in this damn Archive line!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  14. Katatonia

I'm not familiar with that series, but they have just released a 4-DVD set of Thundarr the Barbarian! I've been waiting on this to be released for ages now, and look forward to seeing these again after so many years.

If anyone is interested in it, I'd order before the month ends. You'll get free shipping, and if you use this coupon (SCIFI25) get an extra 25% off.

15. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I Picked up Dying Room Only off ebay for $10 and really enjoyed it. Great mix of Mystery and suspense and wonderful acting all around. The print was also in very good shape. One of the better TV horrors of the 70's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  16. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

I haven't gone through this entire thread, but, on the off chance that it's not listed, are you guys aware that WA has a remastered special edition of DON'T BE AFRAID OF THE DARK waiting to be released?

17. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    It's been mentioned, but what does that mean? Is it for general release? Does it have special features?

18. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

No, it won't be a general release. It's part of Warner's MOD Program, and if you have the October Fangoria, the one with Gene Simmons on the cover, as soon as you turn to the first page there's a full page ad that Warner took out for their DVD-R horror flicks, and they went ahead and posted a photo of the remastered edition cover. It's basically the same as the old one except with a reddish tinge, and the words REMASTERED and SPECIAL EDITION on the cover, obviously.

I assume the picture quality will be, at least, sligtly better than their old one, and with SPECIAL EDITION listed, I expect to see something like an audio commentary, an interview, a featurette, with it.

I just recently posted a query on WARNER ARCHIVE's facebook page about it, now, all I have to do is wait and see if it gets answered. Being brand new to facebook, and not quite getting the lay of the land yet, I posted the query twice, thinking it somehow didn't go through. So, if you visit, ignore the second post.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  19. Katatonia

I'll almost bet that Warner's "Special Edition" of Don't Be Afraid of the Dark will be the same disc/transfer, but updated artwork. This will cash in on the remake.

20. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    That's what I'm thinking, but if it actually is an SE, I'm in. I haven't bought it since I have a direct transfer from a VHS that looks just fine for me.