Warner Archives thread

Discussion in 'General' started by Paff, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Shawn Francis

Shawn Francis New Member

That doesn't make sense to repackage the old and sell it as something new just because there's a remake coming. I'm not saying it hasn't been done, or that it hasn't occurred to someone at WB, but they gotta know if they plaster the words REMASTERED, and SPECIAL EDITION across a cover, they better deliver a transfer that's at least a smidge above the old one, and an extra befitting of the words, SPECIAL EDIITON.

I haven't bought it yet, because I've got a pretty damn good looking bootleg I bought a few years ago.

2. Katatonia

Katatonia Hellbound Heart

Warner aren't the brightest bunch. They've reissued quite a few Blu-rays recently with different artwork, but same exact disc content, and they're actually more expensive than the old Blu-rays. They've already reissued some WB Archive DVD-R's with different coverart.

Not to mention they've even released Blu-ray "Ultimate Editions" and such before that were the same exact transfers/extras. Christmas Vacation, Goodfellas, etc.

If it does turn out to be an actual Special Edition, that's a good thing. But since this is Warner Archives DVD-R...I really have my doubts.

3. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

If anyone here orders their Warner Archive titles through the official Warner Archive site or WBShop, be sure to keep an eye on your credit card statements.

My card was compromised last month, I had to cancel it and get a new card. Just found out it was from using WBShop. Their fulfillment system was hacked. If you've made any purchases there since March, the hacker could have your credit card information.

Wish I had known this a week ago, because I just placed another order from them with my new card. :mad:

4. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Crap. Thanks for the heads-up! Sorry to hear that they got you, though.

5. cjg

cjg Active Member

Fearless Blu up for sale $19.95

6. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Man, Fearless Vampire Killers is getting released on Blu-ray this week in France and there's NOTHING here stateside; not even via their limited distribution. I'd been hoping all year long that Warner would announce it for October or at the last minute like Fearless here.

7. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Wicked, Wicked is now available in DUO-VISION. I had fun with a crappy bootleg. Looking forward to see it the way it was intended.

Anyone have any opinions about "must haves" from the Warner Archive Collection? I'd like to pick up WICKED WICKED, RINGO AND HIS GOLDEN PISTOL, & RATON PASS during Warner's next 5 for $50 sale but I need more titles.

I would recommend the following for anyone needing a couple titles to fill up their 5 for $50 order:

Green Slime (1968)
    Killer Party (1986)
    Night School (1981)
    Hit Man (1972)
    Night of the Lepus (1972)

8. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Awesome! Although I wish they put this one on Blu-ray. I had the fortune of seeing this in a theatre a couple years ago on 35mm and it was awesome!

I'll have to keep an eye out if DiabolikDVD gets any, thanks to Warner Archive shipping to US-only...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  9. CPT HOOK

It's not horror, but I would consider Angus an essential purchase. Easily my favorite from the Warner Archive Collection.

Aside from the ones you've mentioned, I would give my highest recommendations to Bad Ronald, The Halloween Tree, and Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark.

Since you mentioned Night Of The Lepus, I might suggest The Pack. I know Lepus has quite a few fans, but I've always thought The Pack was a much better "animal attack" movie.

Looks like they've also got Let's Scare Jessica To Death, Fire In The Sky, and Targets now, but I'd try to get ahold of the pressed discs if possible. They've also got Thief Of Hearts now, which is a huge guilty pleasure of mine.

10. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

I would have recommended Special Bulletin, but I see it's not on their website anymore. Sort of a precursor to "found footage" films, it's the story of terrorists with a stolen nuclear weapon, but the entire style of the movie is newscasts, as if it was really happening.

Not horror, but the movie I talked about in the very first post here (FIVE years ago!!) is Urgh! A Music War. Still one of the best concert films ever made, and I've watched my WA disc at least a dozen times since getting it.

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I am pleased with the Warner Archive release of WICKED, WICKED. It's infinitely better than the crappy bootleg that I used for my first viewing of the film. That said, it's not perfect. %80 of the time its good but there are some scenes that are very soft, a few where the color is off and some occasional print damage. None of that should keep anyone interested in the film from picking up this release.

It's an odd film that I find strangely captivating. I can't even explain why. It never fully exploits the DOU-VISION in way that justifies its use. The story isn't anything new and unfortunately the killer is revealed far too soon. Quite often it feels like a made-for-TV affair. That said, it has some bizarre touches that keep me glued until the end. And I absolutely adore the ending.

I should also mention that I noticed one gore gag was cut when compared to the bootleg. For me it doesn't detract from the film as it's overly gory anyway.

[SPOILERS]Its the guillotine kill. You no longer see the fake head fall in the basket.[/SPOILERS]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  12. CPT HOOK

I see Warner Archive now has The Fan and Bad Moon. Glad I picked up the pressed discs of those way back when.

13. Nailwraps

Nailwraps Well-Known Member

Yeah, they've been doing that with some of their retail titles lately. Though if it's anything, some of their Archive re-releases like The Man With The Two Brains are now in widescreen.

14. CPT HOOK

Yeah, Vision Quest is another they did in widescreen, as opposed to the fullscreen pressed DVD.

But if there's an option, I'd rather have a pressed disc, so glad I scooped up most of these before Warner delegated them to the "Archives".

15. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

Black Scorpion was also upgraded to 16x9 widescreen just recently.

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. shithead

shithead Death By Ejaculation

A Salem's Lot Blu-Ray would be awfully nice.

satans-sadists likes this.
  18. CPT HOOK

Last night I watched The Todd Killings, what an interesting little movie. It's sort of River's Edge by way of American Graffiti.

It's based on the true story of serial killer Charles Schmid (the same true story that inspired Jack Ketchum's The Lost). Even though the murders took place in 1964 / 1965, it's no surprise they were resurrected for a movie in 1971 in the wake of the Manson murders. While Manson was out in the desert somewhere with his cult of weirdos, here it is happening in your own backyard, right under the noses of authority. It's their daughters being murdered, or their kids being implicated by helping cover up the crimes of this charismatic psychopath.

Quite a few familiar faces among the cast too, including a young Richard Thomas (this must have been just before The Waltons) with Gloria Grahame and Ed Asner among the local adults.

Wouldn't call it a horror film, but definitely worth a look for fans of '70s exploitation or the "Nightmare USA" era.

[​IMG]

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

The 4 for $44 sale is on. Talk about bad timing. Amazon Prime Day turned out to be over-hyped. But before I could celebrate avoiding any significant expenses from that, along came the B&N Criterion sale and this.

chancetx likes this.
  20. chancetx

chancetx Active Member

Thanks for the heads up, shape22. I don't need to spend more money but that's a good sale. I actually snagged Demon Seed off amazon on Prime day for $1o.27, though I think that was just a random price drop not part of any Prime deal. But that was the only Archive title I noticed for so cheap.

shape22 likes this.