Warner Best Buy Exclusive 7/29

Discussion in 'Classic' started by X-human, Jul 17, 2008.

1. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

From Tom Weaver:
    http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.../WB-genre-stuff-on-sale-in-just-12-days-.html

Yeah, because Paramount's recent releases were handled so well by Best Buy. :rolleyes:

Thankfully these are given the clear cut labels of:
    Sci-Fi 50's
    Sci-Fi 70's 1
    Sci-Fi 70's 2

They're so new and hip, they don't even need to use the movie's names.

2. Spit

Spit Active Member

Lame, Yul Brynner deserves better then "Sci-Fi 70's 2" :(

3. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth?? Man, there are few things I love more than cheesy dinosaur movies. I'm grabbing that one for sure, hopefully there's a Best Buy close to where I'll be moving in Burbank.

4. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Some obscure Hammer. Nice!

5. DrHerbertWest

DrHerbertWest For Your Health

I'm getting The Ultimate Warrior. Always wanted to see that.

6. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Dinosaurs is the only one I'm the least bit familiar with, but I'll probably end up getting them all.

They look like placeholder pages to me. Many places set up generic pages w/o exact titles and cover art just to get the "early bird" preorders. They'll be updated in time.

7. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Funny how they're labeled as such. Moon Zero Two is from 1969 and Battle Beneath the Earth came out in 1967. Then again, Best Buy is always so meticulous with their details. :rolleyes:

8. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I think the major point here is that we're two weeks in and no official word has come out yet, only a leak so far. It's just very short sighted of Best Buy and I peg it directly on them. They're obviously paying gobs of money for these exclusives and yet aren't putting any marketing behind them, just using word of mouth (which has turned against them).

In the end it's just frustrating fans because of how difficult it's been made. I'm only mildly irritated that I have to drive out to Best Buy and get these, but for some it's become a real hassle to actually find a copy.

9. Erick H.

Erick H. Well-Known Member

I'll get the Hammer disc,probably the one with ULTIMATE WARRIOR too.

10. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

The two films I really want are The Ultimate Warrior and When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. I almost bought a bare bones Region 2 dvd of The Ultimate Warrior at Xploited. Glad I didn't as that would have cost around $30.00 with shipping.

11. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

12. Spit

Spit Active Member

I'm digging the cover art for Moon Zero Two/When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth and Battle Beneath the Earth/The Ultimate Warrior.

Thanks for the update satans-sadist :)

13. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

No problem. Those are the two double features I plan on buying. I have to say, these cool covers are making me miss the MGM Midnite Movies. Hope they come back!

14. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

Thanks for the links. Per the website, these are now in stock at my local Best Buy. Won't be able to get there until Wednesday or Thursday night. Hope I luck out and get the two that I want.

15. Mattapooh

Mattapooh Member

After checking out the artwork and plot summaries, I actually want all of these. I guess I'll have to find some way to get them up to Canada :(

16. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

17. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I ordered them for pick-up, they'll set them aside and you've got 8 days to pick them up. I figure it's better than the crap shoot of the shelves. Plus if it takes them longer than 1 minute to retrieve your item(s) you get $10. Win:win. :D

There's a rumor that When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth is being sent back as "defective" because it's the uncut version with nudity but the rating is still listed as PG. I picked mine up yesterday without any trouble so in my experience at least this doesn't seem to be the case.

18. bigdaddyhorse

bigdaddyhorse Detroit Hi-on

I picked up Dinousaurs yesterday afetr reading a thread on dvdprofiler forums that said:
    "FYI on When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. I'm sure most folks who frequent other boards are already aware, but for those who don't, this movie is billed on the packaging as the 96 minute censored G cut. Turns out, the disk actually contains the 100 minute uncensored cut. The last time this happened was with a Swamp Thing release. Some irrate mother complained about the nudity in her G movie and Warners quickly had the stock pulled and eventually reissued the cut version of the disk. No idea what will happen here but do with the information what you will."

The last post this morning says:
    "Crazy. There's already a report on another board of a store not shelving this title. When the customer asked about availability, he was told that the disk was listed as "defective". That seems like an awfully quick corporate response to me, but at the very least the purchasing run is on."

I was going to wait for a sale, but went back and grabbed a copy just in case yesterday.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. As of 5:30pm Eastern time yesterday, there were still copies on the floor at my Best Buy. I'll probably check again today since I'm in the process of moving and pass directly by BB to do so. I also chimed in that Swamp Thing was PG, and with this being G, even more kids may be at risk of seeing boobs and being warpped into sexual deviants.:rolleyes:
    Whatever happens, I'm happy to have the uncut version and would rather see it stay in print than give me another showcase dvd. Calling this defective is funny as hell to me though.:lol: I say the new re-issued Swamp Thing discs are defective, anything that's cut is defective!
    Got to admit I am tempted to go buy the remaining stock just in case these do get pulled. I think I can return them if it's not, and will be sitting pretty if they are. Then again, I'd be part of the problem of capitalizing on the destruction of American youth.:evil: I won't sell copies on ebay, I'll sell them at elementary schools to dino-obsessed kids. Start saving your lunch money.:eek::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  19. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost

I was in the neighborhood on Wednesday night and picked up the two double features I was looking for. They also had an endcap with the Legend Films exclusives. I already have The Skull, but will probably end up going back for some of the others. Thanks for the order/pick-up suggestion. I hardly ever go to Best Buy and didn't know about that particular service. Probably use it for future reference since more and more of these Best Buy exclusives are popping up.

When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth uncut with skin is a great surprise bonus!!! :D

20. satans-sadists

satans-sadists Ghost