Warner DR. JEKYLL DVD cover art...

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Hammerfan, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

2. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Blech!

But I'll buy it.

3. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

Not impressed by the art, nor the crapper snapper, but I don't care... this will so be mine! :D

4. marioscido

marioscido New Member

At least it's a 'double feature.' I was afraid that the great Mamoulian version was simply going to be an extra like this year's 'House of Wax'/'Mystery of the Wax Museum' disc. I'm looking forward to seeing the 1931 version again!

5. etale

etale Guest

I'll buy despite the cover.

6. hell ya!

hell ya! ~Go ahead, make my day~

Haven't seen either version but i'm definently going to pick up the disc. :banana:

7. Horrorcore

Horrorcore Guest

Extras? The House of wax dvd has both movies on it.
    Im looking forward to this dvd I love the march version.

8. etale

etale Guest

9. Ash28M

Ash28M Active Member

I have to get this, Along with King kong and Freaks this has to by my favorite horror film of the 30's. better then any of the Lugosi or Karloff films of that time imho.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  10. marioscido

marioscido New Member

Even though the disc has both films on it, the 'House of Wax' dvd is NOT billed as a double feature. If you look on the back of the dvd, you will see 'Mystery of the Wax Museum' billed as part of the special features, or extras as I put it. In other words, 'Mystery' has a kind of second-class standing on the disc. I was afraid that his would happen to the 1931 version of 'Jekyll and Hyde.' I think one of the dvd sites announced the new disc as billing the 1942 film as the main feature with the inclusion of the 1931 version as an extra - like 'House of Wax.' But it looks like this is not the case. Both films are being given equal standing on the dvd. This is a good thing because the Mamoulian version is a far greater film than the Fleming version. Victor Fleming is at best a mediocre director. However, I will be buying it on the day of its release. I hope the tranfers are good.

Maybe one day F.W. Murnau's 1920 version of 'Jekyll and Hyde,' 'Der Januskopf' (the Janus Head) will surface somewhere. It is deemed lost. Let's hope.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003
  11. Hammerfan

Hammerfan Guest

I am glad to see this release if giving equal billing on the disc. As for Victor Fleming's directing the 1942 version, it seems like an odd choice for a director (and probably did back then as well). Fleming was more adept at directing melodramas than fantasy/horror (though "The Wizard of Oz" is an exception). He was one of MGMs more distinguished directors of the time, but one that doesn't get a lot of credit in present day.

12. etale

etale Guest

That would be great.
    It was one of Bela Lugosi's first films.

13. etale

etale Guest

Actually, Victor Fleming didn't finish WIZARD OF OZ, he was pulled off the project to work on GONE WITH THE WIND, but his name remained on the director's credits.

14. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I could less about the billing of these titles, as long as they are both there. I read somewhere that WB thought the older version of Wax really wasn't good enough to release, so that is why they included it for "free". Good for them I say - I prefer it to the Price version.

15. etale

etale Guest

I had problems with both versions.

16. dwatts

dwatts New Member

I think the earlier one is an excellent film. The "demasking" was brilliantly done. The Price movie isn't bad - but they just couldn't beat the first. Easily worth buying for the original, with the Price movie as a bonus :)

17. etale

etale Guest

We're lucky to have it. It wasn't too long ago that it was thought to be lost.

18. etale

etale Guest

The original film I mean.

19. marioscido

marioscido New Member

I too think 'Mystery' is more interesting than 'House,' that's why a proper double feature version was in order. I read somewhere that the studio was afraid folks would not react positively to the 'weird' 2 strip technicolor process. I think it looks wonderful. Glenda Farrell steals the show.

20. etale

etale Guest

I definitely want to get ahold of this disc.
    It's been awhile since I've seen either film.