Warner to cut Blu-ray price this fall!

Discussion in 'High Definition' started by KR~!, Jul 18, 2008.

1. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

But as I've been saying, all of that is beside the point I'm making. You're not telling me anything I don't already know regarding HD technology. You're discussing apples with me when I'm talking oranges. Obviously we hang in altogether different income brackets, but to this day I still only know slightly more than a handful of people that own an HD set and none of them are larger than 47".

Again, none of what you say is important to my argument. What is important is that in this world poor people severely outnumber rich people. Ergo, there's no way I'll ever believe that more people own 61" screens than they do 32". And since more people own smaller screens, more people aren't going to see as much of a need for blu-ray. And PJ setups are still within the domain of the hobby-ists. If they weren't they'd be readily available in every department store. If they are, then they've successfully escaped my attention.

Again no anger here, although your continuation to talk technical jargon to me when I'm discussing blu-ray from a sociological or business model perspective is, I'll admit, a bit frustrating. You're talking technology, but I'm talking people.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

Maybrick,
    PJs are being sold in many places like Best Buy and Circuit Shitty and in lots of places. I think we are actually talking about the same thing just from different viewpoints. I did not mean to sound like I was talking techie, I was just attempting to say that even people who are not rich are getting into larger screens TV sets and PJs.

Heck I know beer swilling varmints that have PJs setup in apts that would never been mistaken as even upper middle class.

I guess what I am trying to say if you don't have to have big bucks to go big and it is not uncommon for a couple of room mates to buy a PJ in an APt and play video games all the time.

My point was that big screens TVs or PJs are becoming more common even the common mans home.

Max

3. X-human

X-human I ate my keys

I'll refer you to what I said earlier:

4. 7dizbust

7dizbust Member

Some cheap Blu Ray may be on the way:

CHINA BLU-RAY PLAYERS ARRIVE

Here are fresh images of a wave of new blu-ray players made by Chinese licensees. In May, 11 Chinese manufacturers were granted the licence to produce blu-ray players. Their low cost versions should be reaching retail by Christmas. First time brands Desay, Hotwell, Hualu and VTREK have all made blu-ray players. The players were introduced at the SinoCES show. Expect them to be priced to sell at US$199 or lower.

For $ingapore readers, it is unclear if low-priced brands like Akira and Shinco have the licence to manufacture blu-ray players.

For details on technical specs, follow this link http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/07/16/chinese-blu-ray-players-revealed-at-sinoces/

5. maybrick

Best Buy and Circuit City are not department stores, they're specialty shops. When you see them for sale in Target, K-Mart, WalMart and the like, we'll know they've crossed over. They may be "more common" now, but all that means is that they're a larger niche market then they once were. Larger screen TVs may be cheaper, but so are smaller ones. Bigger doesn't always mean better, and for many of us a TV larger than 50" is just plain impractical. Medium sized TVs will always get the lion's share of the market and, as has been said before, 720p looks just great on them. If most people still believe that DVD looks great, then even fewer are going think that an upgrade is necessary.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Guest

You can find 65" sets in every one of those stores.

Max

7. maybrick

Weren't we talking about Projectors capable of producing 100" screens?

Anyways, for the most part you're wrong. I just checked online and Walmart doesn't offer any TV larger than 52" and neither does K-Mart. K-Mart does sell a screen for a projector and one projector model for $1600. You'd be hard pressed to find it available without special order in any K-Mart store. You have better options with Target. They have a few 65" TVs and DLP projectors (and strangely a pre-owned 72" Toshiba), but they make it clear on their website that these are only available online and not in stores.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  8. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

9. Shannafey

Shannafey Don't Monkey With Me!

South Florida, But Far from the Hell that is Miami
    Drop the price of the players!! I'm not paying $400 for one! I'll wait until they are under $200. Even then, I am quite happy with DVDs and I get most of them for under $10 and get free rentals at the library. Blu Ray isn't that enticing yet!!

10. KR~!

KR~! The Apocalyptic Kid

PS3 will be dropping to $299 this fall for a limited time.