Warner unleashes huge Val Lewton boxed set!

Discussion in 'Classic' started by Mario77, May 4, 2005.

1. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

Read this at Fango today:

Warner Home Entertainment has a boxed set of no less than nine titles by producer Val Lewton on the way: CAT PEOPLE and THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE, I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, THE LEOPARD MAN, THE SEVENTH VICTIM, THE GHOST SHIP, ISLE OF THE DEAD, THE BODY SNATCHER and BEDLAM, plus a new documentary. Most of these titles will be accompanied by audio commentary by assorted horror historians; no word yet on whether the movies will also be available individually.

Sounds to be as awesome as their other recent classic boxed sets. I can't wait! :banana: :banana:

2. Myron Breck

Myron Breck BOO!!! Gotcha!

Did they say when this stellar set would be released....? Sounds amazing!

3. Mario77

Mario77 New Member

I haven't been able to find a date yet, though there may be one.

4. Having never gotten to see any of these films this is a definite buy when released.

5. SilentScreams

SilentScreams Member

From DVDTimes:

Warner Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of The Val Lewton Horror Collection for 4th October 2005. Val Lewton, a famous RKO Radio Pictures producer, redefined the horror genre with low-budget, high-box office films. Now available are nine of these horror classics on DVD in the all new Val Lewton Horror Collection. Exclusive to the collection are a new documentary on the producer and 3 of the 9 films.

Across 5 discs you will find 9 films, they are: The Cat People, Curse of the Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie, Body Snatcher, Isle of the Dead, Bedlam, The Leopard Man, Ghost Ship and The Seventh Victim.

6 of those films will be available separately on three double-feature releases, with The Cat People/Curse of the Cat People, I Walked With a Zombie/Body Snatcher and Isle of the Dead/Bedlam priced at $19.97 SRP each.

The complete Val Lewton Horror Collection will retail at $59.92 SRP.

Features include:
    Audio Commentaries:
    Greg Mank with Simone Simon on Cat People and Curse of the Cat People
    Kim Newman and Steve Jones on I Walked With a Zombie
    Steve Haberman with Robert Wise on The Body Snatcher
    Tom Weaver on Bedlam
    Steve Haberman on The Seventh Victim
    Shadows In The Dark: The Val Lewton Legacy - New Documentary on the producer
    Theatrical Trailer

6. rhett

rhett Administrator

Sounds fantastic, I can't wait for this set! It is too bad they didn't get commentaries for all the films, even if they just went with critics or scholars. I tend to like the scholar ones better anyway, since they know the film better in most cases than the people who actually made them. Since I am most anticipating THE LEOPARD MAN and GHOST SHIP, I'm kind of bummed that there are no extras for either. Oh well, a small gripe in what looks to be one hell of a release.

7. dwatts

dwatts New Member

Definately a must have - no doubt. What with this and Dracula AD 1972, I'm set.

8. MaxRenn

MaxRenn Member

I am pleasantly surprised how much effort is being put into this set. It's nice that they got commentaries from Simone Simon before she died last year. That should be a great listen.

9. eric_angelus

eric_angelus Testacular

Gonna be an expensive fall...

10. Horrorfan

Horrorfan New Member

Last year we got the awsome Legacy collections and Freaks. This year we get the hammer collection,Bela collection and Val Lewton. What more could a horrorfan want?

11. mutleyhyde

mutleyhyde Fuck it.

No shit, HF! [​IMG]