Watcher In The Woods...any good?

Discussion in 'General' started by blairmonster, Mar 3, 2003.

1. blairmonster

blairmonster Guest

I've been curious about this movie for the past week or so. I've heard mixed reviews about it, but apparently Anchor Bay's DVD release is top notch. I saw it used for $19 Canadian at a local Music/Movies store, and was wondering if it was worth picking up.

What are everybody's feelings on this film? Thanks in advance! :)

2. Rock

Rock Member

Blairmonster, this is lightweight Disney stuff but I still liked it...most of the members on this forum are probably laughing their asses off though...no gore, no blood, no real scares, just mild twenty-year-old thrills...Disney's done better and certainly done worse. I bought the DVD for the outtakes and deleted original ending.

3. R. I. P.

R. I. P. Member

I would consider this a horror film for beginners or novices. True, if your looking for electrifying shocks and a bit of gore you best look elsewhere. Still, this film delivers regarding atmosphere and Bette Davis was a superb actress. :)

R. I. P.

4. blairmonster

blairmonster Guest

Yeah, I figured that it'd be pretty lightweight, but Bette Davis is quite freaky and the alternate ending really peaked my curiousity. I'll pick it up next month...too much stuff to buy right now. One more day until the Ring and Ringu!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

5. John

John Guest

I'll be right there in line with you. :D

6. Yowie

Yowie Hologram

I was disappointed by this Disney movie, of course it doesn't take gore to be scary but this so-called ghost movie just wasn't scary at all. It really is kids stuff, and David McCallum is wasted completely, watch him on DVD in the British cult TV series "Sapphire & Steel" (1979) instead. Lynn-Holly Johnson fans are also better served elsewhere, like with "For Your Eyes Only" - her bedroom scene with Roger Moore is one of the best things in a rather tame Bond film. BTW, the girl who plays Davis' lost daughter in WITW is Katharine Levy from another British cult TV series; "Children Of The Stones" (1977), now out on DVD (R0). -Highly recommended, and often refered to as a "Wicker Man for kids".

[​IMG]

7. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Both Watcher In The Woods and Something Wicked This Way Comes are rumored to be released on blu-ray this fall as Disney Movie Club Exclusives.

zbinks likes this.
  8. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

Loved it when it was at the theater and 6-7 years old. Not seeing again for 25 years wasn’t kind to it. The lead actress was super annoying.

9. CPT HOOK

CPT HOOK Well-Known Member

Now available from Disney Movie Club:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Note that the UK version of Flight Of The Navigator is superior, and this is not its first time on blu-ray as advertised.

A rarity for Disney Movie Club releases, but The Watcher In The Woods even includes a few bonus features, one being new to disc.

Blu-ray Bonus Extras Include:
    • NEW! Chilling, never-before-released alternate opening titles • Alternate Endings

zbinks likes this.