Watching the F13 series for the first time. Looking for your insight and opinions

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by crikan, Oct 13, 2009.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The Friday the 13th series is one of the horror franchises I missed out on growing up. I did catch the first one about five years ago and watched parts 2 and 4 three years ago, but for the most part I’m fairly new to the series. So I decided I’d watch all of them in the month of October. I’d love to read some opinions on what makes this series so great and what the best installments are. As I watch them I’m sure I’ll have some questions for the die-hards and some comments to share.

I watched the Friday the 13th Uncut on blu-ray and really enjoyed it. It would have been nice not to know Mrs. Voorhess was the killer but the rock I live under isn’t that big. It’s a fun movie that I’ll definitely watch again but I certainly don’t think of it as masterpiece like John Carpenter’s Halloween. It’s funny how casual pot smoking is in 80’s slashers. It seems like it’s in most of them, but I rarely see it in any other film where drugs aren’t the focus.

Part 2 is a lot of fun as well. The cast of victims is great. It could have been one of the best slashers ever but this version of Jason was a bit too small and the sack was boring. I wonder if series would have remained as successful and Jason become so iconic if he had never donned the hockey mask. The way Jason went from efficient killer to bumbling stooge when it came to Final Girl got ridiculous as well. I’m sure this criticism is unfair and maybe a product of watching a lot of slashers in a short span.

Glancing at the special features of the Blu-rays, Deluxe Editions and the 2004 Crystal Lake to Manhattan Box set it appears that Part 2 has the least amount of extras. It’s one of the few that doesn’t have commentary or a featurette dedicated to it. Am I incorrect? Anyone have an idea why? According to the “Crystal Lake Memories” featurette it was butchered by the MPAA and should have some deleted gore scenes.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  2. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Haha, you're just experiencing everything, huh?

I kinda wish I could go back to the first time I ever saw a movie like Friday the 13th (part 2 I think was the first one I saw).

Sadly, part 2 has never really received the treatment it deserves. IMO it's the best Friday the 13th movie in the whole series. Part 4 and 6 come close, as well. But you didn't like the sack on Jason's head in part 2? Haha I thought that was the best part of it. It added a creepiness to Jason that they couldn't seem to achieve with the later Jasons.

Well enjoy the series, they're all pretty enjoyable up until part VIII. Not a huge fan of part VII, but it seems to have its fans.

~Matt

3. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

Love this series.

The first one is my favorite and, in my opinion, the best one to date. Creepy, and raw.
    You can't really go wrong with any of the first six. Part VII is slightly dull, Part VIII is stupid (but I still like it) and Jason Goes to Hell is hella gory. Crap, but creative.

Jason X and Freddy vs. Jason are, in my humble opinion, pure shit. But watch them all anyways. :)

4. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I say just make your way through the series. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, though 2,4, and 6 always stand out to me. The quality in the films takes a significant hit after 7, but still see them all. 8 can be fun. 9, despite a lack of Jason and the whole supernatural plot, has some of the best and most brutal kills in the entire series so make sure you get the unrated version. X is, well, Jason in Space. It is what it is. Freddy VS. Jason is great if you don't take it seriously and consider it separate from the series. The remake, to me at least, was a return to form. Although we'll never be able to capture the atmosphere and feel of the Paramount 8 again, I think that was about as close as we'll get, but who knows. As for Part 2 not getting the deluxe treatment it deserves, yeah it sucks. I think Steve Miner doesn't want to talk about the series and whatever gore was cut I'm sure would have popped up in one form or another by now so it's more than likely gone forever. Tis a shame.

5. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Just watch them all and THEN peruse the forums for their individual threads and read others thoughts and write yours. There is no need to get feedback BEFORE you watch them because you should watch them regardless.

6. NaturesMistake

NaturesMistake Member

Lol... First Halloween, then Phantasm, now this?

I guess you gotta start somewhere.

7. rxfiend

rxfiend Joe Six-Pack

Since you're watching them for the first time, when you get to the New Line films, you may want to go from "Jason Goes to Hell" to "Freddy Vs Jason" then "Jason X." While JX was released first, they placed the storyline ahead some years to not conflict with FvJ.

At any rate, have fun!

8. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

For me, parts 1-6 are the absolute best of the series. Everything after part 6 is downhill. That's partly because I don't really care for Kane Hodder's performance as/of Jason. He's too big (muscular) and the wardrobe was never right either. Hell, with the exception of parts 7 and 8, the hockey mask wasn't right. The masks they used in parts 9 and 10 were totally fucked up. I never liked the slow walk and heavy breathing made famous by Hodder. And that Uber Jason shit was the most stupid thing to happen in the entire series. And why did Jason have hair in Jason X? I know why -
    because of the regeneration process
    - but, why? It was a stupid idea. Jason was at his prime in parts 3, 4, and 6. That's when he looked his best and interacted (moved, killed) his best. Richard Brooker, Ted White, and C.J. Graham played the part to perfection. Parts 1, 2, and 5 are a lot of fun too. I love the locations used in parts 1 and 2. Blairstown, New Jersey and Kent, Connecticut. These are the only two films in the series that actually feel like they're taking place at a camp in the woods. Well, part VI: Jason Lives (filmed in Covington, Georgia) does as well, but it's much slicker and polished, not as raw as the first two films. Beautiful locations though.

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

You're in for a fun journey ahead. The FRIDAY THE 13TH series is by far my favorite of all, since the Paramount 8 (haha, I like that term, Grim, makes it seem tragic that it's gone, like EIGHT MEN OUT or something) are all quite different and all quite good. There's no total standout in the series, not even the first film (as is so often the case). I should really give up ranking them, because at this point I love each and every one for different reasons. I was prepared to re-use my review for THE NEW BLOOD for this new disc (review coming this week!) but looking back 7 years to my old review, I've just become way more of a fanboy. I love it, Tina has become my favorite Final Girl, and I don't even mind big Kane in the role since at this point Jason should be a lumbering, bloated, water-soaked monstrosity. JASON TAKES MANHATTAN is definitely the hardest to love in the series, but it's still wild and different, and like any of the other FRIDAYs, it still has several distinguishable moments that would hold up on a "Best of" reel of the series.

I've probably written way too much about these movies already - I've got a review (or two) for each movie on the site save for FREDDY VS. JASON. I guess I should patch that one up. Since list making is fun, though, I'll list the series in order of favorites at this point in my life:

2, 1, 4, 7, 6, 3, 5, 8, JX, FVJ, JGTH, Remake

Have fun with them, and keep us posted!

10. I'm also SO glad that from the look's of this and a recent poll on www.fridaythe13thfilms.com, that there are alot of fellow Part 2 fanatics out there. I've always loved the film for many reasons.

11. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I like the first four the best. After that the series goes off in all sorts of different directions. Friday the 13th movies are generally enjoyable for because they all incorporate lighthearted elements with an effective final chase (some more effective than others). Even Miner's goofy 3-D venture has a fairly scary finale. Part 2 was the one that scared me the most on the first viewing - the jump scares worked for me, and the burlap sack was creepy. The original had the awesome Betsy Palmer - what a gal!

I must admit that I still have not seen Jason Takes Manhattan. I do not care much for The New Blood. The telekinesis angle is fresh, but it features perhaps my least favourite final girl actress in the series, my least favourite jason makeup - and that scene
    with the father jumping out of the lake?
    Ouch...

The movies are all fairly simple, but they obviously struck a chord with the audience, masterpieces or not. I still find the atmosphere of the best of them gripping.

For some reason, I never considered the New Line movies to be "legitimate" Fridays. :)

12. Great post, except that that "goofy" Steve Miner directed 3-D one is my next favorite out of the series after the awesome Part 2. ;) I always wish Miner had stayed in old school horror prefer the late '80s H20 and Lake Placid days. He's never written anything, to the best of my knowledge, but I like his pace as a director. His two Friday's were dripping with atmosphere and dread all around, and he quite obviously worked a lot with his cinematographer's to accomplish a lot.

But yeah, I pretty much agree with all that you wrote. Excellant post.

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Blasphemy!!! Seriously, a worse final girl than A NEW BEGINNING? JASON LIVES? Even Trish in THE FINAL CHAPTER is a pretty empty vessel. I have seen A NEW BEGINNING like 8 times over the years, and I still struggle to place a face on the blonde who rips it up chainsaw style at the end with Reggie. Tina was one of the only FRIDAY girls to have a fully developed arc, and the fact that she gets a massive, head to head showdown with Big J really lets her character thrive. And she gets the line "with my luck you'll probably just turn out to be another delusion." What's not to love?!

14. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Once that rain starts pouring, it's not really her face I'm paying attention to. Oh Danny Steinmann, you sleazy director you.

15. Mutilated Prey

Mutilated Prey Soul Stealer

That's some Pam.

Really? I love the way his back looks when he first comes out of the lake. Cool!

16. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

I love Part 3 too - it has one of the best finales. But there are goofy moments - we see a guy taking a dump twice, for instance, and there's Shelly, whose practical jokes and clumsiness dominates much of his screentime. But when it goes into scare mode, it's great, and Dana Kimmell is one of my favourite Friday heroines.

And Steve Miner directed Part 2 as well, which has always struck me, because the atmosphere throughout seems much darker.

Yeah, and you're definitely not alone. I just never cared that much for the Jason who looked like a zombie from some heavy metal music video. Deformed psycho Jason always scared me more. ;)

I have nothing against the character, it's just the actress that doesn't appeal to me.

17. rhett

rhett Administrator

Hmm, maybe I didn't notice because I was fixing on the [strike]breasts[/strike] eyes of Debbie Sue Voorhees from before.

18. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

Friday the 13th is my favorite long running (over 4 movies) horror series. There are some big highs and lows in the series, but overall it's very solid.

My list of best to worst of the series:
    Final Chapter-6-1-7-Freddy vs. Jason-Remake-3-2-Jason X-Jason Goes to Hell-5-8

19. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

hope you enjoy the series!! my favorite horror series :) i like every film (others..to some extent) but i find that there is something to like in all of the movies :)

20. Great post, once again. And yeah, I'm a big fanatic of the old school Paramount produced Friday installments (have them all on multiple formats, as well as the Crystal Lake Memories book as well, ect), so I of ocurse know all about Miner directing Part 2 as well. It's hands-down my favorite of the series and one of my favorite sequels of all time as well. :D

There was indeed a more the modest shade of darkness in the proceedings of Part 2, since aside from the Muffin the dog bits (such as the quick-cut-to the very overdone hotdog franks on the outdoor grill) and the amusing opening bit with the Jason hand taking the boiling tea kettle off the stove, ect. But Part 2 is excellent indeed.

Interestingly enough, Part 3 is co-scripted once again by close Quentin Tarrantino friend & script supervisor Martin Kitrosser, who also had a hand in re-writing tiny bits of Parts 1 & 2 as we learn from the Crystal Lake Memories book, as well as of course fully co-writing Part's 3 & 5. 3 & 5 of course are noteable for having out house scenes, as well as guy's on the toilet. I used to wonder if perhaps him or his wife (Carol Watson-Kitrosser) were a bit scatological obsessed a bit, but alas, they were probably just trying to create raunchy comic relief, and as well to try to set-up death sequences for stock characters. That's probably the best explanation I can come up with. At least it's not as overly long as the one Stephen King had in 1986's Maximum Overdrive. That sequence with the other husky/overweight guy that isn't the late/great Pat Hingle, stapled to the toilet, letting his bean bomb's fly away while talking to Emilio Estevez, was absolutely painful.

But yeah, Dana Kimmel was beyond cute when she was younger during Part 3 and her Lone Wolf with Chuck Norris days. Even though Amy Steel is my favorite heroine, she is a close second, dispite the fact that--with all due respect--she's a pretty terrible actress. But she seem's sweet & kind enough on the commentary track, and she did the best job as she could, so that's mostly what counts. And looking back over it, I do now find Shelly a much bigger jerk then when I did when I was originally much younger and watching these on those super-shit Gateway/Paramount EP mode VHS tapes, however, there is something interesting to Shelly in that he appears to be a virgin that was killed at the hands of Jason, and also I just thought that even though he was a jerk, he was oddly sympathetic. Too bad about his voice (it's almost as if the actor, Larry Zerner, didn't hit Puberty untill much later on in life) and her and over all demenor. With just a little more work, he could have been a lot more toelrable.

Would have to say that Part's 2 and 3's finales are indeed the best, with The Final Chapter's being a solid 3rd. Jason was really put through his ringers in those one's.

By the way, your not alone: After the first five installments, which I love & like the most, I would say the heroines for the remainder of the Paramount series are pretty interchangable, although Melaine Kinnamon was smokin' hot at her interestingly younger yet slightly older then some other cast members age, and others are alright. Ginny, then Alice, Chris & Trish are the best of the Friday heroines, hands down. Ginny especially.