Watching the F13 series for the first time. Looking for your insight and opinions

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by crikan, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Very thorough and informative, Brandon.

And I agree that installments 2-4 have the best finales, though I am partial to the original's, because Betsy Palmer is a formidable actress. I never get tired of saying this, but her dramatic shifts are VERY good. She knows just when to pause and switch gears in a line.

And Dana Kimmell may not be the best actress, but I don't think she's as wooden as Adrienne King is (yet I still like). Dana is a hair off dramatically on a few occasions (most notably in her recount of the implied rape) - but she tries, bless her! And she has the most high-pitched scream of any Friday heroine, which I appreciate. :p

2. Why thank you :D I'm a big time series fanatic of the old school first five films that Paramount released, and so I hope I don't ramble on TOO much. ;)

Glad I'm not the only one that always loved Parts 2-through-4's finale's! Those were some heated wonderful final reel's to those old school Slasher's, with several rug-tug reversal's and a damn fine Harry Manfredinni score that always acompanies the onscreen action. Truely, they're old school Slasher goodness that is very hard to duplicate, oddly enough. Haha, that's a good one my friend: Indeed Dana was pretty bad, but I can tell with certain scenes how she was at least trying, and her and Ginny were the series best screamers, I'd say. Ginny acted the best surprised and natural, and Dana just had this hysterical no-plushed and no-stop scream whenever Shelly played a prank, or she saw a recently deceased friend that Jason strangely hid in a closet, ect. And for some reason, when Rick is thrown through his cabin window and she comes over to try to revive the corpse, and she first see's Jason and screams, the way she look's at him afterwards, so bug-eyed, has always drawn laughter from me. And I just don't know why.

And I was also chuckling because, and God bless her, she maybe a fine person in real life and I'm so sorry she had stalker problems after the first film came out, but indeed: Adrianne King was as wooden as those native american totum poles in many of her scenes in the first film. *lol* And I never quite understood her own personal World's Quickest Shower record that she was apparently trying to go for by herself at the start of the second film. Anyone else ever wonder what that whole quick rinse thing was about? But yeah, it's kinda funny to watch Dana try to emote (bless her heart) but still be a deer-in-the-headlights for her big "acting" moment, recouting her original two years prior run-in with Jason in the woods with Paul, and it's not helped by her acting oddly surprised when she recounts these lines: "He had a KNIFE ... And he ATTACKED me with it!". She sounds so surprised here it always elicts giggles from me. *lmao* Cut lady, though. ;)

By the way, I see your from Denmark! I've always loved meeting people from there :D Everyone I've ever spoken to from there online, or met at a place like Orlando, as been very overly friendly to me. I'm finally going to Europe in 2011, to see France, Holland and Belgium and to meet up with two close online friends who are Belgian in Ghent and Antwerp. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2009
  3. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting everybody. Great stuff.

I watched Part 3 on blu-ray in 3D. I’m really surprised some of you claim this one holds up to repeat viewing. The film never wastes one frame where it’s not taking advantage of it being in 3D. To the point where I thought it was focusing on it too much. I found it amusing until about 60 minutes in where the terrible acting and iffy story started to wear on me. The acting is really bad, even by slasher standards. I really dislike the biker gang and rape scene as well. I get the love for Shelley and the very hot Final Girl does a great job in the final showdown but once you get past the novelty of the 3D effects I’m surprised anyone could sit through a second helping. Tell me if I'm crazy on this one?

I was close to laughing out loud during the opening credits. That was 80's cheese at it's best.

This is nit-picking so I shouldn’t mention it, but I didn’t like Jason’s look or body language in some scenes. His clothes are too clean for a crazy guy that lives in a shack and in the scene when he walks out on the dock he’s too cool and calculated. Had the overuse of 3D effects and poor acting not started to annoy me I most likely wouldn’t bothered over analyzing his look.

And how was the lead biker still alive near the end? Oh well, doesn’t matter. On Part 4.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  4. It's me Billy

It's me Billy New Member

It's the only one that doesn't have a commentary track. Correction: The 2009 remake doesn't have one either.

Part 1 has commentary on the DE DVD and the BD.
    Part 3 has commentary on the 2004 box set disc.
    Part 4 has two commentaries on the DE DVD.
    Part 5 has commentary on the DE DVD.
    Part 6 has two commentaries, one on the 2004 box set disc and the other on the DE DVD.
    Part 7 has two commentaries, one on the 2004 box set disc and the other on the DE DVD.
    Part 8 has two commentaries, one on the 2004 box set disc and the other on the DE DVD.

Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X, and Freddy vs Jason all received a commentary track(s) on their respective discs.

5. mlock

mlock Member

As much as I enjoy parts 1-4, part 7 is still one of my personal favs despite being cut so heavily. I've always wondered how many fans of the series who DIDN'T like part VII might change their minds if they had a chance to see the fully uncut version. It also happens to be my favourite Kane Hodder film which I was lucky enough to tell him personally a couple years ago when he made 2 brief appearances in Victoria back in 2006. I was stoked to shake his hand and also tell him that while I admit to enjoying Freddy vs Jason, I was sorry he wasn't asked to do it. He thanked me and said he appreciated that. Certainly made my day!:glasses:

If I was to start watching the series for essentially the first time (lucky you!), I too would simply do it chronologically as others have already mentioned. I approached the franchise the same way back in the early 90's as a young teen when my self-taught "education in horror" began. The only other piece of advice would be to understand not only how old some of the early films are now, and to give them a bit of break at times, but realize one could sum up the entire series in one word "formula". Otherwise, sit back, turn down the lights, turn up the volume, and enjoy!!:banana:

6. shockwave

shockwave New Member

This is my favorite series as well(Halloween is a close second though). But I can pretty much 1-4 anytime and still find them enjoyable. THe "Paramount 8" are definitely the best. JGTH is utter shit, yeah some good kill and a decent amount of T'n'A, but a horrible story and the fact Jason is barely in it, and when he is he looks ridiculous. Jason X is enjoyable for what it is, which is hokey and lighthearted. FvJ I liked, although I definitely wish Kane Hodder had been in it, and a few elements had been changed like blood spraying like geysers when they went to battle with each other. Anyways, my advice is don't expect any of them to be perfect films, but most are quite enjoyable and fun to watch.

7. baggio

baggio Well-Known Member

Anybody here that doesn't enjoy watching Kirsten Baker (Terri from part 2) walk?

Must follow.

8. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched the Deluxe Edition of The Final Chapter (Part 4). So far this is the best of the bunch. I really enjoyed the opener with Axel and 20 Minute Workout (love that show). Teddy Bear and Cripsin Glover provide excellent comic relief, the hot brunette (Julie Aronson) from Weird Science is not shy about showing her gorgeous rack and slutting it up, and the twins are twice the fun. I doubt there is a better cast of victims in a slasher (maybe the small cast of the original Halloween). I don’t usually like movies where a kid plays a significant role, but Feldmen does a great job of acting and never gets annoying. I love the decision to have two skinny dipping scenes in one movie. The gore scenes are great. If there is one let down, it’s that the Final Girl is only good, not great. She is beautiful but they really didn’t do much with her. The rest of cast was so strong that it didn’t really matter.

This is the first time I really liked the way Jason looks and moves, other than a few of the close-ups of his hands.

I assumed going into this that Part 4 would end being my favorite, so I’ll be interested in seeing if it gets bested by any of the follow-ups.

9. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Julie Aronson is my favorite girl from any F13 movie plus, she's still hot today.

10. I pretty much loved all that you wrote. Especially that if someone much younger, say under the age of 20 as of this writing, is using a relative's '04 From Crystal Lake To Manhatten boxset to re-watch the whole series, of all of the new Deluxe Edition's that I and many other's got, it's best to remember that the first five installment's, which happen to be my own personal favorite by the way, are very much period & dated and of the late '70s and first querter of the '80s 35mm film stock look. After all, Part 1 was shot in Blairstown, NJ in the fall of '79, and Part 2 was actually shot in late 1980, and so they're both 30 years old now (Part 2 will be 30 in a few months, but makes little difference).

I tend to find them some of the better to write about exercises in the Salsher film cannon, inparticular, the Steve Miner directed ones and The Final Chapter, and find Part V a solid mean-spirited guilty pleasure, and the last truely Exploitation-style film of the series. After that, like Jack (scabboy from www.scabboy.net), I wouldn't say I'm the biggest fan of them, but at least they're mostly very watchable Slasher entries.

Great write-up, once again.

11. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Just my opinion, and I know no one asked for it - but I think parts VI, VII, and VIII are the best of the entire series. And they're the most consistent three, movie to movie, in terms of writing, acting, and style. Part V is the most fun in terms of comedy and the most shamelessly free-spirited. Part IV is the skankiest (and I suspect the writers were taking out their sexual frustrations with that awful script/screenplay). Part II is the most "immature little brother"-like of the Paramount series. The first has the best looking woods and scenes outdoors, and most of the best of Harry Manfredini's music. And if Part III would throw out the toilet scenes and the drug content - it would be the best of the whole damn series, bar none.

12. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

So far all of them have a significant amount of drug content.
    What is it that you like about 3?

13. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

Exactly. Then throwing it would make for a change.

It feels different from all the others. I don't quite know- there's something about it. Can't explain. Somewhere where the music and the feel of watching the characters being at that cabin/barn location meets the editing. It has an immaculate build-up to the point where Chris starts running from the unseen - then seen - Jason. And then, a perfect follow-through. It just feels right. It doesn't stop. That's one thing that easily separates it from the first 2 movies. It's relentless and the pitch of the suspense and the chase is consistently high. It winds tighter and tighter, and then just lets go and doesn't stop (until she gets in the canoe). It's the most exciting of the sequels, had me the most on-the-edge-of-my-seat. Along with Parts VI and VIII.

14. Stige

Stige Active Member

just got finished watching the DE's og part 7 and 8 , and I stand by me original opinion, they were pretty much crap

The first 4 and part 6 rule supreme

15. old-boo-radley

old-boo-radley They stay the same age...

Advice for F13 first watch? Take no advice from anyone because everyone's opinions on the F13 series are fucking mad. I have never seen so much nonsensical and nostalgic based bullshit slung by people as done with this series.

Ain't it fun? :D

16. Bobbywoodhogan

Bobbywoodhogan Active Member

My favourote horror series of them all. The only ones I'm not too keen on are 3, 8 and Jason X but the rest I can watch over and over.

17. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

WOW! This is exactly the reason I haven't posted in this thread but you nailed it on the head there. I love parts 1, 2 and 3 and would be perfectly happy if the series had ended there and I know the reason for this is mostly nostalgic. I know now that Part 3 is pretty much a big suckfest, but you know what? I would still watch it over anything that came after it any day. And it's all about the memories. The memories of a more innocent bygone era when Richard Brooker wasn't wearing padding to look bigger and Dana Kimmell could act and the virginal princess would be best friends with the pregnant girl whose jock boyfriend would be best friends with the misfit drama student who would be bold enough to hit on the hot girl who doesn't seem to be anyone's friend but who came along anyway most likely to get away from her mother. Oh! And let's not forget the stoners who come along for the weekend because the virginal princess and pregnant girl and jock and drama guy and hot girl are ALWAYS best buds with the stoners. And considering that none of these kids has any idea who Jason or his mom are, it makes complete sense that Chris would dream that Mrs. V is in the lake with her head reattached! Absolutely! As asinine as the whole thing is, I still love it. It's all about nostalgia.

18. Kim Bruun

This doesn't bother me too much. My friends are a pretty mixed bunch, stoners, jocks, and hotties. And even some preggerz on the fringe.

That did bother me on my first viewing. At face value, it doesn't make sense. However, one could choose to see it as the first of many supernatural occurences in the franchise. Or maybe Jason introduced Chris to momma during her "blackout," had his way with her, and dumped her in the woods? :D

19. Copyboy

Copyboy Member

Eww. This has always bothered me too. The idea that Jason may have raped Chris. I would prefer to think that she passed out and being the slightly retarded lug that he is, he just assumed she was dead. He figured his work was done and left her. But this doesn't make sense either as he would most likely have carried her back to his shrine to Mummy.

As bad as part 3 is, I still love it and the book is so much worse. I remember reading it a long time ago and being completely blown away by the fact that Chuck and Chili were not stoners. They were freaking coke heads! They'd do lines, get the munchies and pass out. Because THAT'S exactly what happens when you do coke. Hell, they should have kept that in the movie because it would have just gone right along with everything else!

20. Kim Bruun

The rape is very much implied. Regardless of what one would prefer, the film definitely toys with the idea of Jason as a sexual being here. The did he/didn't he is very much up in the air, but one can't refute the implication on the grounds of what Jason, still in the formative stages here, was to become in later installments by different authors.

And no, of course it doesn't make sense for him to carry her back to momma. I was just having a bit of fun. Fanboys are always bending backwards to explain away the inconcistencies of the franchise, hoping to capture some grand narrative design. ;)