Watching the F13 series for the first time. Looking for your insight and opinions

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by crikan, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Despite my massive love for the Steve Miner directed Part 3-D from 1982, I have never laughed & chuckled so hard in months. :lol: I must say there are an infinite number of things in the script that don't add up. And that's also not bringing up that Jason apparently quickly shaved his head en route to Harold & Edna's little country convenience & grocery store, and Edna mistakes Jason for Harold, despite him not wearing jean overalls, and them looking absolutely NOTHING alike.

The film also contains my favorite film flub in the entire series: In any Widescreen print of it, check out the scene in which Shelly returns with the recently busted out car back to the cabin, and Rick & Chris get into the car, and if you look into the back rear window as Rick and her get in, you can see Steve Miner and crew directing the scene and moving out of frame! It's hysterical now, as you just have to look away and pretend it's not there. :lol::eek:

Oh dear heavenly Christ, that IS a fucking terrible book (both of them, really) as this big time Part 3-D fanatic has both the Michael Avallone and the Simon Hawke adaptions, and one has the most hysterical misspelling's I've ever seen, as well as the descriptions. Indeed I laughed through out most of the book. At least the original ending is kept in one of them.

Indeed: There was a reason she simply passed out from the bruises and she woke up. In the Crystal Lake Memories book that I have, the uncredited screen writer from Romania talks about the sexuality he was putting into Jason, and how he that scene was fully meant to imply Rape, so it is really pretty much there. I also always thought it was suspicious how he brought the lovely Norweigan-born Kirsten Baker's character of Terri back form Part 2, just as he did Alice's corpse and the doughy, badly overweight police officer. Mean while, Scott and the other's are left in they're original places of death to rot in they're own defecation. It's a sad fact of life, folks: once you die, you do sadly lose all control of your bowels :fucked:.

And dammit if I can't really blame ole' Jason, as she was a smokin' athletic body built hottie. ;)

By the way, Kim: I'll reply to your latets PM in a few more hours, no worries. I've just been real busy as of late. More to come.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2009
  2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched the Deluxe Edition of Part V: A New Beginning. I am very conflicted about this movie. At first the over-the-top acting took me of guard and it wasn’t until Ethel showed up that my expectations were properly reset. The scene with Ethel complaining to the Sheriff told me that this movie was going to be different and I should just roll with it. I’m glad I did because I had a lot of fun with Part V. One the things that kept me engaged was that I never really knew what was going on until late. For most of the movie I wondered if Tommy didn’t have some kind of rage or evil presence that was being transferred to different people. I though it went from Vic to Roy then possibly to Matt or even Pam. By the time it was obvious that the movie is a Whodunit I assumed it was too obvious that the killer was Roy and that it was more likely to be Matt. When Reggie found the bodies and Pam showed up I like that they made me think Pam was in on it. The best part of the movie is the final showdown with Pam’s wet shirt stealing the show. Absolutely brilliant, thank you, thank you. Pam may not be the best Final Girl of the series but there cannot be a better final showdown. It is more than just a white shirt, no bra, add rain and run around for ten minutes. The chainsaw duel put it over the top. I can’t wait to pick this up on Blu-ray.

If I have one complaint it’s with the kills. There is a constant stream of kills but most are done off screen, a few look terrible (Billy with an axe to the head) and only one is memorable (Demon in the outhouse). I’m not a gorehound so it isn’t a show stopper for me.

Now to the conflict: I love this movie but I’m not sure if I’m ready to say it’s a great Friday the 13th. It crossed my mind when I saw the man in the hockey mask walking toward the barn and I was certain it was Roy. I thought to myself, “if that isn’t Jason, is this a Friday the 13th film”? For now my answer is no but I haven’t finished the series so that may change. It will be interesting to see what’s more inappropriate, a copycat Jason or Jason in space.

3. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Ah A New Beginning. I was really into Tiffany Helm playing the new wave music liking Violet.

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched the Deluxe Edition of Part VI: Jason Lives. What a missed opportunity. CJ Graham’s zombie Jason is by far the best portrayal of that character so far. Unfortunately it’s as if he is in a different movie than the rest of the cast. Jason is dark and badass while everyone else is so generic and poorly acted. Thom Mathews’ (Tommy Jarvis) terrible acting pulled me out of the movie every time he was on screen and Jennifer Cooke’s final girl wasn’t believable at all. Other than the group of paintballers the rest of the cast was completely forgettable. My standards for acting and plot are very low when I’m watching a slasher and this movie really bottoms out in those categories. Had it not been butchered by the MPAA the triple kill on the group of paintballers could have been the best kill of the series. Even with the cuts the section where Jason is taking out the team building paintballers is a lot of fun.

For me this is the worst movie in the series. I’m surprised my opinion on this installment deviates so far from a lot of you.

5. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Well, if you go into Part VI expecting something in the vein of the first four, or hell, even Part V, you're going to be sadly disappointed. Part VI is the Zombieland of the series. It's basically to the Friday the 13th series what Part 3 was to the Nightmare on Elm St. series. It turned Jason from a serious and scary villain to something resembling an old Universal horror monster (the opening resurrection shows the creators were clearly aware of such comparisons) that the audience almost roots for, although he really wouldn't get into the borderline-antihero status until Part VII.

The whole film is tongue in cheek, the acting, the story, tone, everything. It's meant to be funny and self-aware above being scary. I mean half the damn soundtrack is Alice Cooper songs, good ones, but still, you can't really take a kill-scene seriously while Teenage Frankenstein is playing in the background.

I say check it out again after you view the rest of the series with all that in mind and you may enjoy it more, or you may not. That's the beauty of this series, each entry is so varied and different that basically anyone can find at least one they enjoy.

6. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

The thing that took me awhile to reconcile when I was finished watching Part 6 was, why I enjoyed the camp and silliness of Part 5 but not Part 6. I should have liked Part 6 better since Jason’s screen time in Jason Lives is a good as it gets. It took me while but I figured it out. The characters in part 5 are crazier and the whodunit plot line of A New Beginning is more interesting than Tommy’s relentless quest to kill Jason in Part 6. Of all of the Paramount 8, Jason Lives has the dullest cast of characters. Other than the James Bond intro most of the gags fell flat for me. But I definitely appear to be in the minority on this one.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  7. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched the Deluxe Edition of Part VII: The New Blood. Just when I thought the series was about to drive of a cliff it veers back onto the road. The shining star of The New Blood is Kane Hodder. I enjoyed CJ Graham in Part 6, but Kane Hodder brings an even larger presence to Jason then anyone before. With Hodder behind the mask Jason appears larger and pissed. The sinister Dr. Crews and telekinetic final girl gave the movie some extra depth that most F13s before it lacked while still allowing Part 6 to stick with the formula. The best kill is the sleeping bag and I think it was made better by the cuts. By just having it be one quick whack against the tree it seemed more shocking than the over-the-top slowmo gibfest that it was before. I really enjoyed the rich girl’s axe to the head, but it was certainly better before the cuts. It was sure nice to see the skinny dip return to the series as well. The final showdown with telekinetic Tina is the best so far (that is, if you forget Pam’s wet shirt in Part 5). ;)

If I wanted to nit-pick I could point out that Tina is a bit to whiny for my tastes. Having Tina’s father not age or rot after a decade in a lake was also an odd choice. *Tongue-in-cheek* When people die in Crystal Lake why do the authorities always leave the body?

I believe I will enjoy this movie more each time I see over the coming years. Had the MPAA not butchered some of the kills and Associate Producer not screwed up the final minutes this might have been the best in the series. It’s so unfortunate that the deleted footage was destroyed.

8. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

I actually disagree. One thing I finds unique about this film is that it's the only film in the series where you actually see the counselors interacting with kids. The scene with Cort and the boys cracks me up every time and it really makes him a likable character for me, even though he's the first of the group to bite it. The two girls in the group besides Meg are pretty standard slasher movie fodder, although I like how they build Paula up to be this really kind-hearted gal, only to have her suffer probably the goriest demise of them all.

9. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

Yeah it's quite jarring, especially since they put in the last few minutes of Part 2, to see Jason go from a lean, fit guy, to this hulking mass in a matter of minutes. I commend them for at least keeping the overalls on him in the first few minutes (something I could never really notice until I got the DVD as my tape was an old rental copy and worn to shit). After that, though, the directors of each movie did a pretty good job of keeping up with the continuity of Jason's appearance, especially Beuchler. You can literally see every wound he's gotten over the years, right down to the bullet holes from Part 6. They kinda went off track again with 8, though. If they had stuck with the way he looked at the end of 7, he would have been half naked since half of his clothes burned off and then probably deteriorated in the water.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  10. mlock

mlock Member

Crikan,
    I personally couldn't be happier with your love of Kane Hodder and part VII in general.:D Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on part VIII and the subsequent films!