Watching the Halloween series for the first time; any I should skip?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by crikan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I’ll put the important part first; I’m trying to see what makes the Halloween series so great and I just got done with Halloween 2. Should I skip Halloween 3 and go straight to 4. What movie should I watch next?

While I’m a big fan of slashers I never was interested in watching the Halloween series until now. It was 1989 before I was old enough to get my hands on horror movies so I didn’t get caught up in the initial hype. I’ve always found the Michael Myers creature design to be boring so I never sought out his movies. I read quite a bit of Jason Voorhees bashing in a thread about Rob Zombie being selfish for making another Halloween. That gave me the motivation to find out for myself which slasher I enjoy better, Jason or Michael.

I watched Halloween 1 for the first time two weeks ago and found it to be brilliant. It’s a good thing I waited until now to watch it. If I had watched Halloween even just a few years ago I don’t think I would have appreciated many the things that make it great. The cast of characters is great; all three of the girls and especially Dr. Loomis. Donald Pleasance was just the right amount of camp and creepy and PJ Soles was a riot. But I still found the Michael Myers character to be boring.

I watched Halloween 2 last Friday night and thought it was dreadful. There is nothing to like about this movie. The characters are boring and the story was dull. Dr. Loomis went from creepy to obnoxious and none of the characters actions made any sense. And why is Myers such an efficient killer until he’s in arms length of Jamie Lee then it’s like his depth perception is completely thrown off. It was a poor choice for them start Halloween II right were the first left off.

I am interested in seeing if this story goes anywhere but I afraid that like most horror stories, the more that is explained the more you wish they would have left it all a mystery.

I understand how those that were teenagers in 1978 can appreciate the Halloween movies but I don’t see the appeal yet. Especially with how well the Friday the 13th movies hold up. I watched 1 through 4 last year for the first time and loved them. When the Blu-ray set of Friday the 13th comes out I plan on having a marathon.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Well, I'm not sure you should avoid any of them. Certainly you can skip 3 if you are only interested in Michael Myers, but 3 is still a fun flick.

The problem with Halloween is no sequel or remake will ever live up to the original. While I enjoyed the sequels, they are what they are. If you didn't like 2, I don't think you'll be liking any of the others.

My own opinions: 1 is a classic, 2-5 are okay (5 being the weakest), 6 sucks, H20 is okay (should have ended it here), Resurrection Sucks, Remake sucks. I will not be seeing the Halloween II remake, ever.

Part 4 is the best sequel, IMO.

3. Reverenddave

Reverenddave New Member

Agreed. Part 4 was good.

Feel free to skip Part 3 and go directly to Part 4. Part 3 is a fun movie, and you should definitely watch it later. But it has nothing to do with the Halloween series.

4. Mitbox

Mitbox Member

You should see them all so you make your own mind. But as Dave wrote, nothing can top the original, so everything is downhill from there. I really enjoy H2 and H3 (beware that H3 has nothing to do with Myers, is just a story that happens in halloween). I don't think people (certainly I don't) care for the Halloween sequels as for the Friday's or Nightmare's, so it may be possible to completely skip the franchise and live happily.
    And Halloween is my fav. horror movie along with Black Christmas. Don't even get me started about the remake, I loathe it.

5. MadmanMarz

MadmanMarz Member

Skip Halloween Curse of Michael Myers....bad...bad movie. Part 3 has nothing to do with the series..but still an entertaining flick and Tom Atkins rocks.

6. MorallySound

MorallySound Mad Mutilator

Watch them all, like any horror fan should do! Whether others say they are good or bad, they are the "Halloween" films! You should be forming your own opinions on these films, and the only way to do that is to see them yourself.

7. fattyjoe37

fattyjoe37 Well-Known Member

I'd say watch them all in the order they were released and make your own judgments. I will agree that Halloween 4 is the best of the sequels.

8. dave13

dave13 Well-Known Member

hell yeah! if you're gonna be a horror aficionado, you gotta be a completest. if that doesn't mean owning every film in a particular series, it should at least mean watching them all. seriously though, as far as horror series go, halloween is a breeze. you want a tough series of films to get all the way through? try the howling series. or the amityville's. or maybe the children of the corn! damn, those just become endurance tests by the end.

9. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

As a film fan you should never skip any movie, regardless of what people say about it. And while none of the sequels can match the quality of the original, 1-6 makes an interesting canon that tells a great story when you step back from it and begin to see it as a whole. One of the great things about the Halloween films is that each one has its own feel, despite attempts to make 1 & 2 and 4 & 5 as similar as possible. In that sense, it's akin to the Alien series, where you have four very talented directors with separate visions for their respective entry. And while Dwight Little is no James Cameron, you can appreciate his and the others' individual takes on what October 31st should feel like.

10. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yup. I pretty much live by that. Considering film is an ART, therefore nobody's "opinion" is really the "right" one. It's well...opinion. While I do agree with most of the ratings on IMDb, it's not always 100% accurate (considering how some movies' ratings skyrocket due to media hype) but most of the time, honestly...IMDb's user ratings are rather accurate with my tastes, I have to admit.

But yeah, as much as some Halloween movies suck ass (I only own parts 1-5 I think), def give them all a watch. IMO the best sequel is Halloween II, but that's just my OPINION. :)

~Matt

11. TheShape

TheShape Member

I also think you should see them all and judge for yourself. I think that Halloween, Halloween 2 and H20 formed a nice trilogy, with H20 being a good continuation and closure for the character of Laurie Strode. H20 benefitted from a great performance from Jamie Lee Curtis and a better than average script. If only they could have convinced Carpenter to do it...

Sometimes I like to think the others just don't exist, especially Halloween Resurrection... but well, it could be worse and be like the Highlander movies, where I have to block all sequels from memory as they never happened...

12. Paff

Paff Super Moderator

Voice of dissent: Just watch the first and third ones. Seriously.

Beginning with the second one, a "mythos" is introduced that quite literally goes against what we saw in the first film. While the others here are correct in that you should see all the movies to form your own opinions, remember that you can't "unwatch" a movie. I.E., you can't watch the first Star Wars movie and boo and hiss Darth Vader for killing Luke's father, and you can't root for Luke to hook up with Leia (unless maybe you live in West Virginia).

so if you just watch Carpenter's Halloween, you will be terrified at the concept of a crazed person who simply stalks and kills at random for no apparent reason. All that goes away when you start watching the sequels, and you'll never be able to quite enjoy the original film the same way ever again.

13. Grim

Grim Well-Known Member

See them all. 1,2,4, and 5 are my personal favorites. 3 is a neat flick, even if it has nothing to do with Michael Myers or Haddonfield.

14. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

LOL sorry, but that literally made me laugh out loud. Friday the 13th movies are horribly dated. Aside from maybe a couple that I still find rather creepy, these movies are SO dated it's not even funny.

That said, the Halloween movies I think appear, for the most part, just as dated.

Both series have their charm, but I personally don't think they hold up very well at all. They're cheesy and cliché'd.

~Matt

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

This is blows my mind, Halloween 2 is the movie that made me love horror movies (well, this and NOTLD).

I don't doubt your sincerity, but the original is equally as ridiculous if you don't suspend your disbelief. The 2nd flick is SO claustrophobic and so dark (all of it except the final shots take place in the dead of night).

Such a good sequel.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Word.

Yeah I love Halloween II. It was one of the first horror movies I ever saw. Sure it's very different in tone from the first film, but it's definitely a worthy sequel to Halloween. (I mean, to be honest, Halloween really isn't the perfect, flawless, brilliant film that everyone makes it out to be. Many people seem to forget how much this film owes to Black Christmas.)

~Matt

17. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

Well, you've already watched Halloween II with it's shitty sister idea, so you might as well watch all of them now. Beware Part 5, H20 and Resurrection though, as they're all varying degrees of awful.

18. Kim Bruun

Kim Bruun Resident Scream Queen

Count me in as one of those who love Halloween II. It's the one that made me love horror, and it's still one of the horror movies that frightens me the most. It's a strong sequel, tying well with the original.

You can, as you said, skip part 3 - it has nothing to do with anything, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Resurrection is also rather pointless. For one thing, it's a bad movie. It also throws out the Strode stoyrline in a matter of minutes, moving on the some entirely irrelevant teens. By all means, watch both - but there's no need to watch them in succession with the other movies.

19. snowbeast323

snowbeast323 New Member

20. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I always have issues with the term "dated". People use it in such negative connotations, but everything is "dated" as soon as it comes out. Films like DRAG ME TO HELL and MY BLOODY VALENTINE 3-D look like they were released in 2009 and in thirty years they're still going to look like they were released in 2009. When it comes to HALLOWEEN (1978), sure, fashion and film technique has changed, but the central themes and music that made the movie scary are just as relevant today as they were back then. The only thing that detracts from the film's effectiveness today is how much and how often it's been copied over the past 3 decades. It still has the capability to freak out people if they've never been indoctrinated into the genre before. I don't see why more people can't go into these movies and think of them as period pieces. They're certainly more authentic to their respective eras than what some current Hollywood schmuck like Marcus Nispel could achieve.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009