Watching the Halloween series for the first time; any I should skip?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by crikan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Drama Queen Die

Drama Queen Die Banned Mofo

I love 1-6. I grew up on that stuff, and watch them to this day. H20 is worth seeing, and Resurrection is the biggest piece of crap I ever saw in my life. Rob Zombie's was a mess I thought.

2. Dave

Dave Pimp

Hogwash. The shitty sequels made me appreciate that original even moreso!

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

I dunno man, while you raise some good points (and totally agree on the Marcus Nispel thing LOL) I just don't think Halloween has aged so gracefully as people make it seem. Sure "I" appreciate it for what it was, the film is just, for the most part...no longer scary. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the film (its one of my favorite horror films) but it's just not very effective anymore. They screened this on Halloween a couple years ago at my school and the theatre was packed. And well...most of the movie made people laugh.

But you do bring up a good point on how film technique has changed. It's the quick editing and jumpscares that get most people today, not drawn-out suspense. Halloween is a very good film, it just doesn't seem to work all that well with modern audiences. I dunno, this only really seems to happen with horror films. People still take films from the same era like The French Connection and Network and The Parallax View seriously. It's funny how horror films appear to have aged "less gracefully" than films of other genres...

~Matt

4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

This is exactly what my gut was telling me after watching the first one. I was truly surprised by how much I enjoyed Michael Myers' first outing but I had a feeling that learning more would only lead to disappointment (ANOES says hi). I didn't care much for the obvious "Laurie is Micheal's" sister plot twist but I guess it's a good basis for the series. Even still, the number of Halloween fans that have responded to this post compels me to continue with the series. I think I'll go with Halloween 4 this weekend with idea that I will eventually get around to 3.

Is Halloween a more popular series than Friday the 13th? Do most horror fans like both?

5. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I've seen that kind of reaction plenty of times with new movies as well. I don't think it really means much of anything. And really, how many of those people you think were honestly seeing HALLOWEEN for the first time ever? I'm sure there probably was a few, but theaters are rarely packed to capacity nowadays for classics (nevermind new ones) unless the audience knows exactly what they're going to get.

And it isn't as if humor in the film is non-existent. On the contrary, it's all over the place. Ultimately what has aged well and what hasn't is all in the eye of the beholder. I guarantee you you'll never see a packed house like that for something like THE FRENCH CONNECTION, NETWORK or THE PARALLAX VIEW. That a movie like HALLOWEEN can still pull in crowds as large as that is pretty remarkable. From that kind of evidence i'd say the film is aging quite well. :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  6. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

I remember The Exorcist getting a similar response when it was screened again a few years back. People just couldn't take it seriously.

However, I watched it with my boyfriend a few weeks ago (his first time) and although I wouldn't say it "scared" him, he was genuinely disturbed by it. There were no laughs.

I think a lot of modern audiences go to these films not only jaded but determined not to be affected by them. They laugh not because they're funny but because they already made a conscious decision to do so even before the film started.

I saw Halloween for the first time in the late 90s and it freaked me out, and that's after I'd been exposed to the likes of Scream. So I wouldn't go as far as to say it's not effective anymore. I'd rather say its effectiveness completely depends on the audience.

If we're talking about a group of people who grew up on the late 80s Friday and NOES films - films that were funny because they were largely comedies by then - then of course theyr'e going to laugh. They see Halloween as just another film of that genre (which it is, but there is obviously a wide gap between them), they equate terror with laughter, and the result is something completely different than an audience in 1978 would feel.

It's not because modern audiences are stupid either. The film industry has simply conditioned this reaction out of audiences. Freddy Krueger kills someone and says something funny, cue laughter. Jason kills someone in an over-the-top way, cue laughter. Michael Myers kills someone and there's nothing remotely funny about it, ... what's left to do but laugh? It doesn't matter that one film came before the other, or that one is a classic and the other not, etc., etc. These films are all a part of popular culture whether we like it or not, and so for most audiences it is impossible not to bring with them a lot of excess bagagge (a lot of film history, if you will) when they watch them.

However, if you watch a film like that by yourself, or with less jaded, more sensitive, naive even, company, you'll probably react to it the way the filmmakers hope you will.

7. Severn

Severn Member

Halloween 4 is very solid but it could have been much better in the hands of a more capable director. Part five is really bad, six... deserves it's own thread.

8. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%. The fact that Halloween has been so unbelievably overexposed has lessened its impact for most people. It doesn't scare people because they've already seen it--or maybe one of the million other slasher films that blatantly ripped off its money shots. And I don't think a student screening is ever the ideal environment to gauge a film's effectiveness.

I still believe Halloween is the scariest film ever. And I suspect that anyone who saw it for the first time alone in a dark house would concur. I know it made an indelible impact on me, far more than any other horror film I've ever seen. In a way, it reminds me a lot of The Blair Witch Project. Watch it in the daylight with a bunch of people and you won't ever figure out what all the fuss is about. But watch it alone in the right environment and you'll have an entirely different experience. Halloween is a lot more subtle and insidious than the typical slasher film. And it takes its time before it hits full speed.

See all the films. All of them after part 4 are pretty bad (if you're judging on any objective scale). But I'm very fond of 5 and 6 anyway, probably because Pleasence is so over the top. A lot of people have spoken about the similarities between Loomis and Captain Ahab. By that point in the series I think it's a legitimate comparison. Loomis might be crazier than Myers.

Despite all the love it gets, I really don't care for H20. It's good to see JLC back in the picture and Durand makes a good Myers. But the movie itself has zero Halloween atmosphere after the opening sequence. It really seems like a watered down WB TV movie to me.

Resurrection is truly awful. And I didn't care for Zombie's take either. He missed the whole point of why Myers is scary. And he completely wasted the opportunity to free the series from the silly sister angle. Without that, the series could have been free to go in new and interesting directions.

Just my two cents.

9. spawningblue

spawningblue Deadite

If you didn't enjoy part 2, I don't know how much you enjoy the rest of the series, although like others on here have said, you should finish the series just to form your own opinions. I personally thought part 2 is the best of the sequels, although I have really been enjoying part 3 as well even though it has nothing to do with Michael Myers. Part 4 is good as well, and a favourtie among most. A lot of people really dislike part 5, and it does definitely have its weaknesses, but I think it does a great job with its atmosphere and really has that October feel to it. Part 6 is pretty bad but still enjoyable due to again really doing a great job with the Halloween/ Fall feel. Part 7 pretends part 4-6 don;t exist, and continues the story from part 2. It's not bad and it's nice to see Jamie Lee back, but it feels more like the mid 90s slasher films then the earlier flicks. So if you hated Scream or I Know What You Did Last Summer then you may not like it, and vice versa if you liked those movies. Part 8 I liked to pretend never happened as even though it is somewhat a continuation of part 7, they ruin the story and turn it into a crappy reality TV horror film.

Although I enjoy the Friday series a bit more, as they are a little more fun, the Halloween series is almost as good. And like I said, you can skip part 3, as it doesn't really follow the story, but I would definitely get around to watching it eventually as it is a really fun campy horror film with a nice atmosphere and Tom Atkins. They only one I really hated out of the series is Resurrection (Part 8).

haha yeah I laughed when I read that too. I don't get how you could love the Friday series but find Halloween 2 terrible. They are all just cheesy slasher films, offering pretty much the same thing. Fun movies but I don;t think any of them really have much in the way of plot, acting, directing, ect.

I don't really think this proves that it hasn't aged well. Most of the time when they show a classic movie on the big screen it's full of fans who watch it to have a fun experience. I'm sure a lot of the kids in your class have already seen it and were just laughing because they were having a good time with it. If some of them watched it by themselves in the dark it may be a different story, or if someone watched it for the first time by themselves it would also probably be a different story.

In my opinion the scares hold up as well today as they ever did, and are just as effective as present day horror films. Just about every slasher film today steals something from the film as it still has some really memorable scary moments. The Strangers is a great example of this when the killer is hiding in the shadows and you can just see their mask. A really creepy moment that was lifted right out of Halloween.

10. vampyr789

vampyr789 9, 10. Never Sleep Again.

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Ding, Ding Ding!! ;) Now I understand why I don't get the Halloween series. I've always enjoyed Slashers because I think of them as dark comedies. So Halloween isn't trying to make me laugh like Friday the 13th, ANOES, Slumber Party Massacre and Sleepaway Camp. That explains why I enjoyed the first Halloween but not the sequel. While Dr. Loomis and the girls make the first Halloween quite funny, there is nothing funny about the followup.

That is why I can't stand Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I watched it for the second time a couple of weeks ago and it still scared the crap out of me. I understand TCM's brilliance but I don't have the stomach for it.

Now I'm really interested in seeing how I feel about Halloween 4.

12. maybrick

You've summed up HALLOWEEN II's biggest problem. It's a pretty dreary affair right across the board with very little to lighten it up. No braindead bimbos incessantly saying "Totally!", no Michael Myers dressing up like a ghost. Nothing humorous like the deadpan delivery of "He Got Hungry." when the dead dog is found. The kills are more inventive this time around, but that doesn't keep me from getting bored and falling asleep every time I watch it.

13. othervoice1

othervoice1 Well-Known Member

Halloween II is quite different in mood and presentation from the original but I still love it. Best of the sequals for Halloween IMO - and please dont watch that awful one that had Busta Rhymes in it- now that WAS awful!

14. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

Based on your like for some humor in an otherwise straight Halloween movie, I predict you'll like Part 4. As a matter of fact, I see it clear as breasts and blue suede shoes.

Overall, Part 4 is the sequel truest to the original. They really should have ended the series there (you'll see why, the ending is great). 5 isn't very good, 6 is horrible (by FAR the worst), H20 is good, Resurrection is pretty bad, and Zombie's remake seems to really divide peeps. I enjoy it despite some obvious weaknesses (and I look forward to the sequel), but as you've seen here, some people loathe it.

15. Cujo108

Cujo108 Guest

In response to not understanding how someone could love the F13 series while bashing HII, because they're all slasher films... I've never been more bored by a slasher than I was while watching Halloween II. Only Prom Night comes close with it's endless disco dancing. The Friday the 13th films, while sometimes painfully stupid (Jason Takes Manhattan, I'm looking at you), are never boring. They also don't bring in a dumbass sister subplot that kills a good chunk of the original film's effectiveness. Just because they're all slasher films means nothing to me. I don't enjoy every slasher I've ever seen, but hey, if you do, more power to you.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

The theater was packed because it was a free screening. 35mm, too (I was surprised). We have this thing at my school called "Free Friday Films", and well...yeah people came to see Halloween not because all of them really wanted to see it. Most probably came because they had nothing better to do and it was free. It wasn't just students, either. I didn't recognize about 75% of the people there. It's advertised all over the place (not just ON campus, but all the streets surrounding the campus as well). Most of the time with these screenings, film students don't usually go considering well...we've been in screenings all week.

Really, though? You wouldn't see a packed house for a movie like The French Connection? Sure maybe not The Parallax View or Network, but DEFINITELY The French Connection.

I just think people are looking for excuses to try and defend Halloween. People seem to be clouded by the fact that this movie is such a masterpiece that they can't accept the fact that the movie doesn't hold up as well as when they first saw it. I understand that yes there's definitely humor in Halloween but people were laughing at parts that weren't MEANT to be funny (Annie in the car, Michael's escape at the beginning, Laurie screaming for help, Laurie discovering the bodies upstairs...they laughed at all these moments - and I remember because I was actually surprised that people found it so funny.) I've seen a few classic horror film screenings, and surprisingly enough, Rosemary's Baby, The Shining and The Thing still seem to hold up very well. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre especially. People still gasp when Pam gets stuck on the meat hook. Halloween though? Sorry to say, but yeah not so much...

But I mean big deal, it doesn't hold up as well as other horror films. I'm just making a point based on something I experienced firsthand. I still enjoy it (it scared me as a kid), and clearly many people on here still enjoy it so we have that.

~Matt

17. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Why are people finding Halloween II so unbelievable? It's no more unbelivable than the stupid subplot in Friday the 13th. In fact, the subplot in Friday the 13th probably tops them all in terms of stupidity. I mean ok Jason drowned and his mother was out to avenge his death. Okay. However, Part 2 comes along and OH...turns out Jason WASN'T dead at all, but living out in the fucking woods the whole bloody stupid fucking time. Oh, and what's that? He actually SAW his mother get beheaded? That THERE is the DUMBEST shit I've ever heard. That and how they changed Poltergeist II around. That one's just insulting. The house was actually built over a mass tomb where people hid in because a preacher predicted the apocalypse and were just left to die? Oh yeah? Then how come COFFINS popped out of the ground in the original, dumbasses??

The subplot introduced in Halloween II is nothing compared to the stupidity of other horror franchises. It's actually only briefly mentioned, and it's slipped in very well. It's not just thrown in there and because of that, a massive gaping plothole is left over (I'm looking at you, FRIDAY THE 13th). It was actually something that was only really built upon in later sequels.

People are praising Halloween 4?? Michael Myers was in a fucking coma for 10 bloody years. How would he have known he had a fucking niece? Pretty dumb too, no? Halloween II is NOTHING. Trust me.

~Matt

18. maybrick

NO movie holds up as well upon second viewing. Once the surprise is gone, it's gone for good (unless you suffer from brain damage causing permanent short term memory loss, I guess). That's just the truth. And there's not a lot anybody can do about pack mentality. When people show up with preconceived notions and determined to laugh and have a good time, it doesn't matter what movie is shown. The end result will always be the same.

19. maybrick

It was mentioned in the ambulance. It's what causes him to immediately get up and kill everybody.

20. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

That's...not what I'm talking about. At all, actually. What I meant was that the movie doesn't hold up well on a first-time viewing with audiences today than when many of us saw it for the first time. Sure the audience thing is a factor, but that still doesn't explain why people found Halloween so funny and TCM so scary.

It doesn't matter what movie is shown? Then how come some horror films hold up better than others? People actually screamed in the theater during TCM and people jumped during The Thing. Sure people jumped at some places in Halloween, but there was laughter most of the time. It certainly depends on the film you show.

~Matt