Watching the Halloween series for the first time; any I should skip?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by crikan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. HAEMORRHAGE

HAEMORRHAGE If he dies, he dies

Oh, I like you.

2. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

Watched Halloween 5 last night and I really liked it. I don’t know if it’s just the character finally growing on me but this version of Michael Myers is far superior to those that came before him. The mask looks better and the man in the suit, Don Shanks, looks more appropriate than the laughably bad George Wilbur in 4.

Despite the lull in the middle I still think Halloween 4 is better on the strength of its fantastic ending and slightly better opening setup. Halloween 5’s ending is a bit weak and I’m not sure how I feel about the mysterious man in the black boots. But Halloween 5 was consistently entertaining throughout. I’m starting to see why this series has so many fans. Most movie series would have come off the rails by the fifth installment.

I am a little disappointed that this series has gone two movies in a row without some decent gratuitous nudity. Sure Ellie Cornell had a great tease early in the film, but it was annoying that after a few shots of almost getting a look, there was no payoff. It kinda felt like the director was mocking us. I don’t know how you make a slashers and not have some boobs. There should be a large warning on the DVD case. “Warning this slasher contains no boobs, watch at your own peril!” I have a feeling the lack of nudity is only going to get worse in the final films in the series.

It’s onto The Curse of Michael Myers. I didn’t want to go to the trouble of obtaining the Producer’s Cut so I picked up the 2000 Dimension release for $3 New from an Amazon partner. From the posts in this thread it doesn’t sound like this movie is very good. I’m certainly not thrilled to see George Wilbur returning to the role of Michael Myers. At least Donald Pleasance is returning as Dr. Loomis.

3. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

To forewarn you again, the movie is a mess in it's theatrical form, having been re-edited to meet the demands of a vapid test audience, and the ending confusingly altered to come to terms with the real life death of Donald Pleasance, which they shouldn't have bothered with since they scrapped the continuity of parts 4-6 for H20 anyways. Really, you should see the Producer's Cut if you get a chance.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched the sixth Halloween “The Curse of Michael Myers” Producers Cut and Theatrical release this weekend.

First the Producers Cut. I really don’t know how I feel about this movie. On one hand I’m pleasantly surprised the handlers of the Halloween series showed enough restraint to make it to the sixth installment before they attempted to explain why Michael Myers is an indestructible killing machine. I’ve known from the beginning that only bad things could come from removing the mystery and what they came up with in the Producers Cut isn’t awful. I’m really surprised that I never found myself bored during the movie despite the fact that I didn’t care for any of the characters. They did a competent job of pacing information on the cult and interesting kills to keep the movie going. My biggest complaint is that it made no sense that Jamie survived the first attack and was later killed in the hospital. It is unfortunate that this is the last we see of the incredible Donald Pleasance as Dr. Loomis. It would have been far better if they would have killed him off in a glorious fashion in Halloween 5, or never made “The Curse of Michael Myers”. He was definitely too old and weak to carry this film the way he did 4 and 5. In the end I would have preferred another, teenagers plan mischief on Halloween night, Michael kills all but the final girl, but the series was at the sixth installment so it really needed to change things up. The Producer’s Cut did a competent job explaining what I never wanted to know.

Now the Theatrical release. WTF! They released this movie in this form? All of the substance was completely removed leaving no point for this movie to exist. There is no way anyone involved with making this movie thought it would be well received. I’m guessing there are stories similar to Alien3 and Blade Runner about how studio execs boned everything up and tried their best to sabotage the film. Who thought it would be a good idea to have Paul Rudd very easily beat Michael to death with a pipe as the finale? I'm not sure Paul Rudd could have beaten Donald Pleasance in a fight. And the 2000 Dimension DVD release is garbage as well. When I started watching the Producers Cut I was afraid I had made a mistake in watching it first because the picture quality wasn’t very good. To my surprise the DVD release wasn’t much better. I’m surprise this film didn’t kill the franchise.

Thanks for the great advice to watch the Producer’s Cut everybody.

Now it’s on to H2O.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  5. rhett

rhett Administrator

Nice to see you plowing through these - it's good to read observations from a fresh perspective. HALLOWEEN 5 is a bit of a tease, isn't it? At least it delivers the goods when it comes to action. Love that chute scene. Oh, and Michael cries. How could you not mention that!?

6. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

WOW same here i am watching em all in anticipation for the new film
    here the ones i watched in order so far
    Halloween 25 years of terror documentary 8/10
    Halloween blu-ray 10/10
    Halloween extended television cut 10/10
    Halloween II 9/10
    Halloween II ultimate cut 8/10
    Halloween III Season of the Witch 6/10
    Halloween 4 Return of Michael Myers 8/10
    Halloween 5 Revenge of Michael Myers 7/10
    Halloween Curse of Michael Myers 5/10
    Halloween 6 Curse of Michael Myers Producers Cut 8/10
    up next is
    Halloween H20 4/10
    Halloween Resurrection 5/10
    Halloween remake Theatrical Version 7/10
    Halloween Remake Unrated Director's Cut 7/10

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  7. Anaestheus

Anaestheus Well-Known Member

I love the first film, but do find most of the sequels to be rather disposable. That said, I do have to admit to really liking H20. It's not that the film as a whole is very good, but I found that the return of Jamie Lee Curtis gave it some very unique catharsis that I really enjoyed. Whenever the film focused on her, I thought it was extremely interesting and rewarding. Not so much when it focused on the kids.

But, outside of a few exceptions, I am not really big on slasher films, so add that grain of salt to my above comments. And then sprinkle on some parsley.

8. HAEMORRHAGE

What source are you using to see this? Or, where would I be able to check that out rather?

9. rhett

rhett Administrator

H20 worse than Curse? Man, you're cray-zee! Just watched some of H20 the other day on Scream. I know it's hip to hate on the Williamson, but I forgot how taught it was, and it was much less "The WB" than I remembered. The scene with the mother and daughter who go to the bathroom totally could have been a throwaway, but it's actually quite tense and perfectly orchestrated. Of all the ones to revisit I'm most amped for that one.

10. fceurich39

after just watching it again i'll raise it to 5/10 same as curse but here's why i hate H20 so much

i hate it mainly because i was hoping it would still be connected in someway to 4-6 but all the stuff that was supposed to be there was only in the original script except u do see the bloody scissors from either 4 or 5 in the beginning credits

also i hate the CGI mask scene and overall the entire look of the mask and also i hated them showing the michael's eyes but am used to it now

lastly the music's score i mean apart from the new revised halloween theme everytime i see this movie including when i first seen it in the theater it reminds me of scream they should of used the traditional halloween music in the chase scenes that pissed me off

also i for one love all 3 scream movies and thought the i know what u did trilogy was alright

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  11. fceurich39

i got mine from ioffer last year it's basically the a very good quality fullscreen vhs with the TV scenes spliced into the vhs so some scenes are repeated with alternate/extended takes

12. Workshed

Workshed a.k.a. Villyan Shit

hey, what's this? and is it available?

13. rhett

rhett Administrator

Seriously? You wanted continuation with all that supernatural cult crap? That was when the series jumped the shark, so pretending like it didn't happen at least allowed the franchise to go back to the roots.

Ignoring the cult, really you can argue it picks up where 4 & 5 left off, since:
    Laurie Strode was shown in magazine clippings in 4 as being dead from a car accident. In H20 they establish that Laurie has changed her name and went into government protection, so it's certainly feasible that her whole death was just a put on to divert Michael. Why would she leave her kid? Who knows...she was in an institution in Resurrection, so she was probably there at another point, so let's say that early after little Jamie was born Laurie got all postpartum and had to go for a center for awhile, leaving the child with social services. Jamie finds a home and is happy there, and Laurie can't stand the idea of risking her life knowing Michael is still out there. She fakes her death, Jamie gets to stay with her foster parents and Laurie can start a new life and have new kids without the worry of Michael ever finding them.
    That certainly makes more sense than anything in H6! :lol:

I thought H20 took the series in a fresh direction that would allow for a nice reboot - it's a shame H:R tacked on the total gimmick throwaway to the stellar opening sequence with Jamie Lee. If the second half of H:R would have turned out better I'd imagine H20 would have a much higher level of appreciation today.

14. fceurich39

also there was a rumored scene which i think was just in the screenplay about in the class room where a girl does a report michael myers and mentions jamie lloyd being killed
    and then shows laurie crying and throwing up in the bathroom

i just have found memories love the whole cult thing when i was a kid now that i looked back on it it does seem completely horrible

15. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

I LOVE 1 & 2 - Amazing flicks.

I will admit a guilty love for 4 as well. After so many Michael-less years I was SO stoked to hear that theme again. Saw it opening night. Totally dug it.

16. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

Yeah same here. I was obsessed with Halloween II for years. In some instances, I actually do like it more than the original. While yes, Halloween is a masterpiece, Halloween II I believe is more fun to watch.

~Matt

17. Angelman

Angelman OCD Blu Ray Collector

Couldn't agree more.

18. Zillamon51

Zillamon51 Member

If this is a significant factor in your enjoyment, you'll probably like Rob Zombie's remake. It's a very trashy movie with more T&A than any other Halloween flick.

19. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched H20 Wednesday night. I dislike this movie more than "Curse". Sure "Curse" was boring, pointless and had an insulting ending, but H2O's offenses are for worse.

The Music. I do not remember ever being so annoyed with a soundtrack before. Every time someone walks across a parking lot or makes a sandwich the orchestra kicks in as if Bruce Willis is about save the earth from a giant asteroid. The orchestral version of Halloween theme was also a letdown. Thankfully the original theme kicked in at the beginning of the credits. I hope H20 won an award for being the one millionth movie to license "Mr. Sandman".

Overuse of cheap scares. In the first 30 minutes there are more than a dozen cheap scares and it got tiresome quick. And none of them were executed well. I'm not a horror veteran and I saw each one of them coming. Even in the middle of the movie when you knew Michael wasn't in the campus they still abused that orchestra to attempt a cheap scare. When this movie gets a Blu-ray release I hope there is an option to have a CGI cat jump across the screen when each of the cheap scares happens so we can at least get a laugh.

The mask. I didn't like seeing Michael's eyes. Sure it was goofy when he took a shot to the boys, but it took something away from the character.

Josh Hartnett's hairstyle. I'm not one to comment or care about fashion, but really? Really?

The 1999 Dimension DVD does not have a great picture.

Unlike Curse there were some bright spots. The scene with the mother and daughter in the bathroom was tense and well done. Sarah Wainthrope's (brunette coed) killing was one the better of the series so far. Laurie confronting Michael was a great finale and the final minutes are some the best of the series. Despite a couple of excellent minutes the annoyances in the majority of this film caused me to hate it with a passion.

On to Halloween: Resurrection.

20. HAEMORRHAGE

Oh boy, you get to watch Busta Rhymes next!