Watching the Halloween series for the first time; any I should skip?

Discussion in 'Slashers' started by crikan, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Shlockjock81

Shlockjock81 New Member

LMFAO you had me rolling at that.

I remember H20 as being the first Halloween I saw in theatres and I was completely pumped for it... I'll also admit to being completely pumped after it was over. I think that was due to the fact that it WAS the first Halloween I saw in theatres. I've seen it a few times since and yeah, everything you said about it is spot on.

Though I still hate "Curse" with a passion. 5, 6, and Resurrection piss me off to no end.

2. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

I'm glad that they're no longer lost for you.

3. Matt89

Matt89 Well-Known Member

:lol: Awesome.

~Matt

4. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

If I take your meaning correctly- skip parts 5 and 6 for sure.

And only watch Part III after you've seen either Resurrection or the remake(s). But I personally tell everyone to skip the remakes. All remakes (made after 1986).

5. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

If I were going to skip any, I'd skip 3,6, and 8.

6. _pi_

_pi_ Peace, bitch

Reading this thread kinda makes me want to do a real Halloween marathon .. maybe I'll try and do one for next halloween :p

The last two horror series I watched back-to-back were Hellraiser and Friday the 13th last year. Both series had their gems and their duds, but the experience as a whole was mighty satisfying. I think after I do Halloween I'll go for A Nightmare on Elm Street, cos I've never watched those films in any chronological order. Perhaps I'll do it before I see the dreaded remake!

7. Fistfuck

Fistfuck Slowest to 2000 posts

Uh, let's read the entire thread first, shall we?

8. DVD-fanatic-9

DVD-fanatic-9 And the Next Morning, When the Campers Woke Up...

No thanks.

9. Body Boy

Body Boy Well-Known Member

I know I'm late because you've done them up to 7 now. But yeah, don't skip any. We all have opinions and some scratch fans differently than others. I mean, I prefer Halloween II, III and V in the series more than even Part 1. Yeah, that's right, I said it: HalloweeN is underserving of praise!!! Ahahahaha!!!

No, jk. But I do love Part 2 and 5, and though most will call me nuts for the latter, I thought the characters and set up were great. A fun vicious slasher where we follow the adventures of a stalked family. Killing off a previous character was a nice dark touch too. And Tina...my god. Why all the hate? I love her! :D

10. Slackjaw83

Slackjaw83 Lonely St. Tattooer

For years, i was on the "Part 3 sucks because it doesn't involve Micheal Myers blah blah blah" bandwagon. That said, in recent years, I've grown to love part 3 and honestly watch it more than the original. Is it a more important film to the horror genre? No, absolutely not. I just find it to be a really fun movie was some inventive kills and a cool plot/theme.

As far as the sequels go, I'd say every one is worth the watch (and since you've made it through the majority now, you feel that way as well). Personally, i wasn't into 6, H20, or Resurrection. All of them had good points (the extended cult stuff in the producer's cut of 6 brought Myers back to the "evil personified" thing, H2O got back to Laurie's story, and the first 15-20 minutes of Resurrection was great), but, as a whole, I personally just didn't dig them.

11. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

****** Halloween Resurrection SPOILERS!!!! ******

I watched Halloween Resurrection Saturday. I know it’s been bashed heavily but I really liked it. The musical score was fantastic and the overall sound in the Dimension 2002 DVD was excellent with just the right amount of booming bass when appropriate. This is the best the Halloween theme has sounded since Halloween 2. The showdown in the opening 20 minutes is one of the best scenes in the entire series. Laurie’s demise couldn’t have been better scripted or executed. I especially enjoyed Michael handing the knife to the serial killer fan while the Halloween theme played. One improvement from H20 is Michael’s look. His size was appropriate and he had the best level of darkness around the eyes. This is by far the best he has ever looked. The group of victims is well cast and the setup for putting together the eclectic group was plausible. I really liked all the characters (other than Busta) and felt that all of them added to the movie. The pacing of the movie is well done as well, I never found myself getting restless or bored. While I didn’t care for Busta Ryhmes in this movie I didn’t think he was in it often enough nor was his kung fu so over the top that it detracted from the movie. His fights with Michael were far less annoying than Paul Rudd’s in Curse. I fully expected to be annoyed by Trya Banks but she was hardly in the movie as well. The part I disliked the most was when the Final Girl was getting text messages from Deckard, but it didn’t last long and I’m sure it wasn’t as lame 7 years ago. The ending wasn’t the strongest in the series but it got the job done.

Next up is the remake. I have a feeling I’m going to love it. I really enjoy remakes.

12. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

I agree that Resurrection is underrated, but if anything, the texting was MORE lame 7 years ago on account that the technology wasn't nearly as commonplace.

13. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

I watched Rob Zombie's Unrated Director's Cut of Halloween on Blu-ray on Sunday. Wow, I loved it. The first 10 minutes made me very uncomfortable as I tried to come to grips with Michael Myers growing up as white trash instead of a middle class suburbanite. By the time he killed the school bully I had accepted it and was ready to enjoy the movie. Having Michael grow up white trash is still not the way I would have like it, but I can accept it because it was so well done. They did a good job of showing us Micheal's slide into being the silent killer in the mask. The night he went on the killing spree was done well. My favorite part of the first half was seeing Sybil Danning show up and taunt Michael only to get a fork in the throat. I also enjoyed Danny Trejo's character and while I was saddened to see him killed by Micheal's hands, it was a powerful scene that reinforced what we already know about the masked giant. Another great character in the movie is Big Joe Grizzly. His line "I got a taco supreme talking back at me" had me rolling. The best choice they made in this movie was to make Michael an imposing 7-foot giant. This is the best Michael has ever looked. The Mask looks perfect, making him truly terrifying in this movie. Because of his size I enjoyed the shaky "earthquake" camera effect during some of Michael's attacks. I can be a bit of a nostalgia freak, even with classic movies that I watched for the first time just weeks ago. That is why I really enjoyed how true to the original much of the second half was. Almost every scene and character from the original was accounted for. I was really surprised by how true the "See anything you like?" scene with Michael wearing the sheet and Bob's glasses ended up. The only throwback to the original that seemed forced was Laurie's "Was that the boogeyman" line. That made me cringed a bit. The ending was just ok. Certainly better than the alternate ending where the cops shot Michael.

The biggest surprise of the movie was :eek:OH MY GOD! Danielle Harris got naked...and said "F@$# me" to her boyfriend. She's a beautiful young woman, but I'm not sure I ever wanted to see little Jamie Strode naked and getting rode by her boyfriend. But oh well, she is hot.

The biggest disappointment is that Malcolm MacDowell does not come close to capturing the greatness of Donald Pleasance's Dr. Loomis. When I saw him for the first time I was relieved because I just assumed he would nail it. It's good that his role was lessened in the second half of the movie because he just didn't play the character the right way. Donald Pleasance owns that character so I'll be surprised if anyone could ever do that role justice again.

I'm sure Michael Myers being white trash was a hard pill to swallow for die hard fans, but I'm surprised the second half of the movie didn't redeem it. I say I'm surprised by all the hate this movie gets, but then again it appears that all of the remakes are getting hated on. Maybe the hate is more about people disliking remakes than it is about the remakes being poorly done. Who knows, maybe I enjoy the remakes because I'm a casual horror fan and not a horror fanatic.

I hope I can make it to the theater to see the sequel this weekend.

14. maybrick

maybrick Well-Known Member

It isn't about disliking remakes, it's that prequels ruin the mystery. Rob Zombie turned Michael Myers into Anakin Skywalker. Like Darth Vader, "The Shape" is far scarier when you don't know who is behind the mask. There's also quite a few of us who hate "Shaky cam" and this movie has a lot of it, not to mention shots that are terribly misframed. It's just not a very good movie and feels like it was rushed into production (which it was).

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  15. crikan

crikan Well-Known Member

We've seen the story before so I found it enjoyable to get a bit more context. The series has been around to long for Michael to be just "the Shape". At some point you have to peel away some of the mystery and what they provided was much better then a cult or something supernatural. White trash Michael grew up in a believable situation. IMO, that makes the situation plausible and terrifying.

The original Michael Myers wasn't a complete mystery. We saw his face as a boy after he killed his sister. They showed him as a boy in the hospital and Dr. Loomis told stories about him. Laurie removed the mask for a brief moment in the original as well.

16. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

there already is alot of haters for Halloween II which opened today

17. fceurich39

fceurich39 Well-Known Member

my updated list with new film
    Halloween 25 years of terror documentary 8/10
    Halloween blu-ray 10/10
    Halloween extended television cut 10/10
    Halloween II 9/10
    Halloween II ultimate cut 8/10
    Halloween III Season of the Witch 6/10
    Halloween 4 Return of Michael Myers 8/10
    Halloween 5 Revenge of Michael Myers 7/10
    Halloween Curse of Michael Myers 5/10
    Halloween 6 Curse of Michael Myers Producers Cut 8/10
    up next is
    Halloween H20 5/10
    Halloween Resurrection 5/10
    Halloween remake Theatrical Version 7/10
    Halloween Remake Unrated Director's Cut 7/10
    Halloween II Rob Zombie sequel 5/10

i liked it better than h20 and resurrection and i know the director's cut will be better as most of the stuff that wasn't in the theatrical version will be in the director's cut like the tension between annie/laurie

18. SickNick89

SickNick89 Member

Halloween Resurrection and Halloween 6 are pure garbage IMO. 6 has that bad 90's 'We gotta add some crazy stupid plot element since slasher films no longer sell' and Resurrection is the biggest piece of 'lets make a buck', product, pseudo hip, heartless, soulless, quality-less shit I've even seen. The only enjoyable thing about that film for me is the first 15 minutes.

19. shape22

shape22 Well-Known Member

Yes, this was awfully tough to swallow. The whole point of the original Halloween is that pure evil exists in the everyday world, that it needs no motivation, and that it could take the most innocuous form at any time. Which is scarier to you? That the well behaved kid next door could suddenly decide to kill his family and you for no reason? Or that a kid raised in the most outrageously abusive circumstances could turn into a run of the mill spree killer. Zombie ruined everything that was scary about this character. His Myers isn't pure evil--just an angry fat kid striking out at an ugly world that treated him terribly.

Not one part of Zombie's film is as interesting or well executed as Carpenter's original. All of the key characters and set pieces are inferior. And the fact that Zombie has no understanding or respect for Carpenter's original is very frustrating to me. A remake was inevitable. But I can't help but feel that someone else could have given us a much better film that honored the original character.

H5, H6, and Resurrection are bad movies on any objective scale. And H20 is my least favorite entry in the entire series. But I greatly prefer all of them to Zombie's remake. The Zombie film is the only one I can't enjoy at all. Were it not for Danielle Harris it would be a complete and total waste. And of course, Zombie blew it there too. She should have been Laurie.

Hopefully Zombie's H2 bombs so bad that the next Myers film completely ignores his "contributions" to the series. I want the real Myers back.

20. CrazyFatEthel

CrazyFatEthel New Member

In didnt get why they had to turn Michael into a dog eating Hobo... :confused: